It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOOD RELEASE CABLE BROKEN IN THE ENGINE BAY AREA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Hello, Everyone:

I am currently having a big problem opening the hood of my 2006 Jeep Liberty KJ. The cable appears to have broken in the engine bay somewhere, and I do not see a way to open the hood to replace the cable.

I looked carefully in the foot well area where the hood release cable handle is located, and the cable is fine in the passenger cabin side of the firewall; no damage at all is evident. Had the break in the cable been in the cabin, it would have been a simple matter of gripping the broken end of the cable and pulling on it to release the hood latch. I even removed the cable from the release handle and can pull at least 2 feet of bare cable out easily, with no resistance at all. I can therefore confidently and unfortunately state the break in the cable is somewhere in the engine bay area. :( I slid the bare cable back into its sleeve and the end of the cable remains disconnected from the cable release handle.

I have already seen some relatively helpful YouTube videos regarding this problem with other vehicles. However, due to the unique nature of this problem, the myriad of different designs in hood release mechanisms and the cosmetic parts that cover them, specific advice is required for every different vehicle, especially when it comes to getting the hood open without damaging anything. Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so please post your recommendations on how to get the hood open without damaging anything.

Is there a special tool that is used to trip the hood latch when the cable breaks? Am I missing where the assembly hardware is located to allow me to remove the grill to get to the hood latch? Do I need to get this thing on a hoist to remove parts from underneath to get to the hood latch?

Any helpful advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanking you in advance,

Post subject: HOOD RELEASE CABLE BROKEN IN THE ENGINE BAY AREA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Cut the little black plastic block in the grille in front of the latch and then undo the two 13mm nuts holding it onto the center pillar? They face forward so I imagine you could get to em.

Normally there is a little plastic plate in front of the latch but the picture above is mine without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: HOOD RELEASE CABLE BROKEN IN THE ENGINE BAY AREA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:53 am 
LOST Member

That might be your only option. If you remove the two nuts, the cable is still captured by the bracket but you might can still move it enough to pop it. Once the insert is out you might can pop it without loosening the nuts? Either way, you're only out an insert.
Good luck,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:32 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Jeff, I replaced mine, but was fortunate enough to have the hood popped when I noticed it was kinked and failing.

I replaced it with a Dorman unit (yeah I know) but when I laid them out side by side there was no discernible difference, except for the kinked spot and usage wear of the one I removed.

You really don't want to leverage against the grill bars if you try this, but have you tried grabbing the cable and sheath with vice grips through the grill bars, and seeing if you can pull it to the drivers side hard enough to release? It may be a bad and untested idea, but it is an idea. If the failure point is up next to the hood release, it wouldn't work. Mine failed where it's routed between the ECM mount plate and the inner fender.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 am 

Some of those real long skinny needle nose pliers may be your best option to reach and grab cable through the grill opening and release hood latch?
I have had great luck with them in similar situations... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:18 pm 
LOST Addict

I wonder if Jeff got his arm stuck in his jeep?! That could be BAD news this time of year up North!

Sorry Jeff, I don't have any better ideas. I hope you don't have to chop up the jeep in order to open the hood!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Thank you all for your replies so far... it is indeed a vexing problem. :?

I welcome anyone else who wants to chime in a proper repair procedure for opening the latch. In the meantime, I will be considering my options.

I really want to get the hood open without damaging anything. I may end up using a hoist and going in from underneath somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:49 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
WWDiesel wrote:
Some of those real long skinny needle nose pliers may be your best option to reach and grab cable through the grill opening and release hood latch?

I love my long nose pliers set, but in this case one would have to be squeezing the outer sheath hard enough to clamp it to the cable hard enough that it not slip. I was thinking of something more like This.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:01 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

I love my long nose pliers set, but in this case one would have to be squeezing the outer sheath hard enough to clamp it to the cable hard enough that it not slip. I was thinking of something more like This.

I should probably order a set of these, (the long-reach vise grips), or at least see if my local Canadian Tire of Princess Auto outlet has them. Thanks, GordnadoCRD!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I will be looking at a jeep tomorrow morning that should be completely intact, I will see what I can figure out.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Pictures as promised

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:24 pm 
LOST Addict

I can see that you need to trim your nose hairs :shock:

:-)r
JK