It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is my thermostat bad?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:42 am 
LOST Newbie

I know the consensus is that the liberty CRD thermostat has a low set point (182 degrees), which is not ideal. My understanding is that a thermostat will try to maintain 182 degrees, as such will let engine (coolant temp) warm up to 182, then regulate to best ability with radiator/coolant. I admit my understanding may be off, if so please correct. Attached is a picture of showing my temp guage and my scanguage showing the water temperature (127 degrees). This is after about 60 mins of in town driving, and is about as high as I can get it on my in town commutes. Is my thermostat bad?

Post subject: Re: Is my thermostat bad?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Definitely it is bad. Unless you have plenty of heat and the coolant temp sensor is bad?

I got the HDS and that thing gets hot in all weather.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:00 am 
LOST Addict

Yes. Your thermostat appears to be stuck open.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am 
LOST Addict

theeld:

You are very close in your assessment of your situation. The opening temperature of the valve in the Liberty CRD O.E. thermostat assembly is actually 176 degrees Fahrenheit... if a CRD owner can get his engine to 182 degrees with an O.E. thermostat you are making the best of a bad situation.

I manufacture the Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly. It is by far the best solution available for the Liberty CRD cold running engine problem. Private message me with your e-mail address, and I will send you a detailed information letter with photographs outlining the benefits and the value you get for the money you spend on a Model 001. Please include your country of residence.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Since it seems your issue has been mostly solved:

You have a scangauge, can you provide the infomation I was looking for in this thread? http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87543

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep it's bad and about as bad as I've ever seen. HDS is the quality replacement but if you cannot afford that get OEM from idParts; do not get Crown or try an inline.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs