It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WHITBREAD STUDS: Contact Matt if already bought.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
WHITBREAD STUDS UPDATE
Edit: Contact Matt if you have already purchased, any future purchases will be an updated kit. The problem has been identified, detailed further on in this thread.

Original post below:

I realize this topic is going to seem somewhat controversial because I am probably well-known as being an advocate for buying at ID Parts. However, this has nothing to do with where you purchased them. The physical studs that are being sold by Whitbread do not fit on stud locations 11-14. This would be the far passenger side outside row.

If you look at the underside of the valve cover, you will see a "web" of aluminum between the oil passageway for the exhaust camshaft and the outside wall of the cover. There is an arch in this aluminum because of where the studs or bolts mount. Because the replacement studs are considerably taller, they prevent the cover from seating properly. Nearly a quarter inch needs to be shaved from the top of the stud which ends up removing any ability to thread it in with a hex driver.

I will be posting pictures of this discovery, if I cannot attach them to this posting.Image

This is the original stud and one of the longer studs side-by-side.Image

This is what they look like when they are installed

An engineer can confirm this for me, however I have always had the understanding that once you exceed the number of threads equal to the diameter of any fasteners, any extra threads captured are providing no extra force. This is why extra threads above the nut have no gain in power, but also deeper into the block does not add any extra strength either. These longer studs bottom out in the hole, and must be backed off a small amount according to ARP. But they are still overall far too long for installation in that row in the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

Last edited by geordi on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: WHITBREAD STUDS DO NOT FIT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:05 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
I realize this topic is going to seem somewhat controversial because I am probably well-known as being an advocate for buying at ID Parts. However, this has nothing to do with where you purchased them. The physical studs that are being sold by Whitbread do not fit on stud locations 11-14. This would be the far passenger side outside row.

If you look at the underside of the valve cover, you will see a "web" of aluminum between the oil passageway for the exhaust camshaft and the outside wall of the cover. There is an arch in this aluminum because of where the studs or bolts mount. Because the replacement studs are considerably taller, they prevent the cover from seating properly. Nearly a quarter inch needs to be shaved from the top of the stud which ends up removing any ability to thread it in with a hex driver.

I will be posting pictures of this discovery, if I cannot attach them to this posting.Image

This is the original stud and one of the longer studs side-by-side.Image

This is what they look like when they are installed

An engineer can confirm this for me, however I have always had the understanding that once you exceed the number of threads equal to the diameter of any fasteners, any extra threads captured are providing no extra force. This is why extra threads above the nut have no gain in power, but also deeper into the block does not add any extra strength either. These longer studs bottom out in the hall, and must be backed off a small amount according to ARP. But they are still overall far too long for installation in that row in the head.

I thought he whole point of these was that they threaded farther into the block, not that there is extra on top. It appears the threaded length on the block side is the same length, so what does this allow for, half a turn further than the VW ones everyone uses? I didn’t think the VW versions threaded much further than the “flush nut” position anyways before they stopped.

The extra length on the top of the nut seems to be about the total extra length of the stud suggesting they thread about the same amount.

Also, how many threads on the OE bolts are actually in the block? Those can’t bottom out in the hole anyways or you wouldn’t get proper torque.

Post subject: WHITBREAD STUDS DO NOT FIT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I believe you may be right, because the block threads on both studs are the same length. Carving off some of the bottom of the longer stud did not change the height once they were installed very much. We still ended up having to carve off the top in order to get the valve cover to seat.

I suspect what is happening is the stud is reaching the end of its own threads and since there is the same diameter shaft above, it jams and you cannot turn it any deeper into the block. The shorter studs have a "shoulder" at the top of the white threads, which provides a guaranteed stop from turning any deeper. But the longer stud will stop exactly the same way because you're only turning it by hand.

Post subject: Re: WHITBREAD STUDS DO NOT FIT
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I seriously doubt that Mr Whitbread has ever worked on a CRD.

He may have done his homework, but he’s studying the wrong subject.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:46 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If you're having to lop off the top, how much hex is left to make final adjustment?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:56 am 
LOST Addict

None. We had to use pliers, and even that barely worked. The problem is you also don't want them to bottom out because according to ARP, that can cause the stud to sit at an angle and the stress will be uneven. You have to back them out a half turn from the bottom, but then holding the top while turning the nut is very difficult without the hex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:55 am 

A thought!
After cutting them off, you could always cut a small slot in the top to enable the use a common screwdriver to adjust stud while holding the nut with a wrench. :idea:
Done this plenty of times for various reasons!

A screwdriver Slot can be cut using a very thin carborundum cut off wheel on an high speed air cutoff tool or Dremel tool if you have one. If not, it could be done with a good quality hacksaw blade but would be much slower... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

Wrong length for this application. Maybe they didn't send you the correct studs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Anyone that has already purchased, contact Matt and he will send you replacements for those four studs. Any future purchases will have an updated kit.

There is a question as to whether there may be a casting difference between the valve covers that have threaded camshaft caps or the ones that have rubber press in camshaft caps. This is still being researched, however the overall issue has been identified and will be corrected for future purchases.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:56 pm 
LOST Addict

So 4 of the studs with have less thread contact? If so, might they age to have slightly less clamping force, and possibly lead to a warped head, or leak, especially if it's one area? I'm not sold on this being an upgrade

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:06 am 
LOST Addict

The 204-4706 kits (what we have been using from IDparts and elsewhere that is the VW kit) have enough thread engagement to support nearly 75% of the elastic range of the stud (per Larry, LMWatbullrun) and 19,000 PSI of compressive force. When threading them in, they drop quite a few more than 5 full revolutions before the nut contacts the head. My understanding is that once you have exceeded the number of threads that equals the cross-section of the fastener, you have no further strength to be gained. The longer studs do not bottom out either, the wide threads are the same length of the stud on both sizes - so they must be actually running out of threads on the stud itself and stopping there.

I do not think there will be a material difference in using the shorter studs in that outside row application, as the wide threads are still far past the cross-section depth into the block.

Last edited by geordi on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:23 am 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
The 204-4704 kits (what we have been using from IDparts and elsewhere that is the VW kit)

Is that supposed to read 204-4706 or have our Vendors changed something?

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am 
LOST Addict

CGman wrote:
geordi wrote:
The 204-4704 kits (what we have been using from IDparts and elsewhere that is the VW kit)

Is that supposed to read 204-4706 or have our Vendors changed something?

Nothing has changed in the kit, it was a typo. Fixed. Thanks for catching that.