It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil Pan Dimensions for ProHeat Oil Pan Heater
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

My stock block heater is broken and I'd like to install an oil-pan heater pad as a stop-gap until I can diagnose the block heater issue.

What is the largest dimensions of the flat part of the oil pan that can support a heater pad?

From searching the below thread, @kccrd posted that he installed a ProHeat pad that he believes is the 156 model. The specs for the 156 is that it's 6 X 1.5 X .08". Can anyone confirm this is the proper size that are compatible with our CRD oil pan?

Thread reference: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58544
ProHeat 156: https://www.proheatproducts.com/product ... el-156-csa
Picture of CRD Oil Pan (no measurements): http://chuck.goolsbee.org/images/smartdesign.jpg

Post subject: Re: Oil Pan Dimensions for ProHeat Oil Pan Heater
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No clue on pan dimensions but what's to diagnose on the block heater? It's just an AC cord and heater element (similar to water heater element. Either the cord is broken or the heater element is burned out and it's only a $35 or so part https://www.idparts.com/engine-block-he ... -4100.html . For that price I wouldn't even bother to test the cord and element for continuity just order and install a new unit. Do it on a cold engine and at worst you will only lose a tiny bit of coolant.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
No clue on pan dimensions but what's to diagnose on the block heater? It's just an AC cord and heater element (similar to water heater element. Either the cord is broken or the heater element is burned out and it's only a $35 or so part https://www.idparts.com/engine-block-he ... -4100.html . For that price I wouldn't even bother to test the cord and element for continuity just order and install a new unit. Do it on a cold engine and at worst you will only lose a tiny bit of coolant.

Agreed, however temperatures in Canada are -20C the past few days and I don't have a heated garage to work on the Jeep. I'd rather just slap on a oilpan heater and wait until the weather warms to replace the cord and/or element.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Under the circumstances that makes sense.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:09 pm 
LOST Member

The ProHeat 156 add says that is good for 1 gal. of lubricant (3.5 Liters). You have more that that in your crankcase, about 6 quarts, or 1.5 gals. It may not work for your application. Also, you heated oil may not bring the cylinder wall to temperature to aid in a cold start until you crank the engine sufficiently and it start to circulate.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks like I have to bundle up, jack up the Jeep and measure it for myself. If there's room I'd like to install this one that has 2 pads https://www.proheatproducts.com/product ... -156-2-csa and thereby increase the volume of oil it can heat (up to 12 quarts).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:16 pm 
LOST Member

I think you are pushing the limit. Combined these only total 250 watts. The block heater is only 400 watts but is internal heating the coolant. If outside parking as you said I don't think you will get much heating with the wind blowing under the vehicle. I would look for a way to repair the block heater.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can't help you with oil pan dimensions but I do have a 250 watt Katts adhesive heat pad on the oil pan for my Mercedes Sprinter 2.7 liter that holds 9.5 quarts. It works great to heat the block as the metal and fluids conduct heat. I seem to recall that there are ribs on our CRD's oil pan that may make an adhesive pad difficult to install.