It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Denver area Mech to do timing belt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

With a fresh 5wk old in my house, I don't have the time to do a timing belt myself for the first time on my CRD.

My CRD has 160,000mi, and the belt is squeaking like it shouldn't when it has maybe 60k on it, dealer installed, hence my disappointment. Water pump changed with the belt. Spraying with 303 aero/emollient makes it quiet, so I know it's not a pulley (yet), so I'm open to trying to adjust the tensioner myself, but looking for directions on this, as the TB change directions are far more involved.

Otherwise, I'm looking for a fair and knowledgeable mechanic in the Denver area to do the replacement. Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Denver area Mech to do timing belt
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Unless you have managed to open the timing belt cover a tiny bit at the top the only belt you can see to spray is the serpentine belt (Gates K061130) which is out in the open and drives, among other things, the alternator at the upper right (viewed from front) of the engine. I suspect it's squeaking because it's a) old as normal replacement interval for that belt is 50,000miles and/or b) the alternator decoupler pulley (Litens 920834) is shot. To check the latter a) crank up and idle in Park; b) open hood; c) shine flashlight down along the belt just to the right of the air filter box. If the tensioner is dancing the decoupler is shot and needs to be replaced but if it's barely twitching just replace the serp belt.

Neither of these are CRD specific so any decent shop can do the job just be sure they use that Litens pulley if the pulley needs doing not some solid pulley or other knockoff.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:19 am 
LOST Newbie

See what 5wks of no sleep does to a brain?

Thanks for the sanity check and tip about the decoupler. I'll check the play in the tensioner in the morning. I know idparts has a decent belt kit and the Liten pulley in stock.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:03 am 
LOST Member

I just replaced the serpentine belt, idlers and tensioner on our CRD at 150k miles. The serpentine belt was replaced with the timing belt at 100k miles, but the idlers and tensioner were original. I was about 50 miles from home when I first heard the serpentine belt "squeaking". The "squeaking" was from the tensioner coming apart and the aluminum housing of the tensioner rubbing against the back of the power steering pump pulley. I ordered the serpentine belt kit from http://www.idparts.com on my phone from the dentist's office. I drove the CRD 50 miles home and parked it until the parts arrived 3 days later. When I removed the idlers, I found 1 idler pulley bearing sloppy and the other had a little wear. Be aware that the bolt threads on the idler pulleys are left hand - lefty tighty, righty loosey. See link to serpentine belt kit below.

https://www.idparts.com/serpentine-belt ... -5749.html

The alternator de-coupler pulley on our CRD began failing at 80k miles, I replaced it with a Litens 920834A from http://www.advanceautoparts.com .

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/P ... erm=920834

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Billy now works at Echo Park off C470 and Bowles. If you ask for him at 720-943-2477 he will help you out big time. He used to own this CRD, and has flipped a few in the past. He's installed my Webasto heater and just replaced my stock TC with a Euro. My CRD is running like a f*******g top, man. I just took it in for my annual emissions test and the dude there said "Woah. Most of these don't pass now, but yours is running cleaner than any I've seen."

That shop is brand new and remarkable honest. They gave me a loaner for a trip to Glenwood because there was a day delay while Billy was working on it, no charge. TC change, front hub bearings (both sides), routine maintenance, suspension tightening, and brake scrubbing.

When my driveshaft busted, Billy came to my house to change it out on the street. He had a spare, totally didn't charge (I insisted). When my turbo vanes busted he had a spare. He's a good guy, a top tech. Also loves the little CRD, which is a rare combo. He's been on the board here a long time ago as RockyMountainYote.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

psmitty2 wrote:
Billy now works at Echo Park off C470 and Bowles. If you ask for him at 720-943-2477 he will help you out big time. He used to own this CRD, and has flipped a few in the past. He's installed my Webasto heater and just replaced my stock TC with a Euro. My CRD is running like a f*******g top, man. I just took it in for my annual emissions test and the dude there said "Woah. Most of these don't pass now, but yours is running cleaner than any I've seen."

That shop is brand new and remarkable honest. They gave me a loaner for a trip to Glenwood because there was a day delay while Billy was working on it, no charge. TC change, front hub bearings (both sides), routine maintenance, suspension tightening, and brake scrubbing.

When my driveshaft busted, Billy came to my house to change it out on the street. He had a spare, totally didn't charge (I insisted). When my turbo vanes busted he had a spare. He's a good guy, a top tech. Also loves the little CRD, which is a rare combo. He's been on the board here a long time ago as RockyMountainYote.

Thanks for the kind words Pete!!