It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cannot prime fuel filter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:38 pm 
LOST Member

This one has me stumped gents. I installed the racor fuel filter as eurekaboy, link provided below. After everything is bolted and wired up, only thing left is to prime the bowl. But when i pump it i feel no resistance and after 30 pumps with no fuel in the bowl i decided to try a different method. I also have the kennedy fuel pump installed and tried to use that to prime it but still no fuel in the bowl. I checked the lift pump and it is running when i turn the ignition to on. So i tried a combo of the lift pump and hand primer and still nothing. Im taking all suggestions at this point.

http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/racor.htm

Suncoast Torque Converter
2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Racor 245R122 fuel filter system
Model 001 Thermostat 41603
Iron Rock Tri-link

Post subject: Re: Cannot prime fuel filter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Either your tank is empty, you have a leaking fuel line, or a fuel line became disconnected.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is the plastic vent plug closed?

Is the drain plug closed?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:02 pm 
LOST Member

I have half a tank of fuel
No signs of leaking fuel anywhere, and it ran fine before hand.
Only things i disconnected where at the fuel filter and they are all reconnected now.
I made sure the drain plug is nice and tight. I tried punping with the vent completely open and conpletely closed and it felt the same both ways.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:13 am 
LOST Addict

Get a lift pump, that will prime it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:32 am 
LOST Member

The Kennedy fuel pump is a lift pump, i can hear it running but nothing is coming out. I would think the line was clogged but it might also be air leaking in the line somwhere, maybe before the lift pump?

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:44 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
If you have a split failed rubber line or the plastic line has split between the tank and your Kennedy pump, it would not be able to suck fuel from the tank, and without it running and sloshing around, there wouldn't be any fuel coming out either.

Disconnect the intake to your Kennedy pump, and hold a finger over it while it runs. If it doesn't pull a suction with your finger, then the pump is probably the problem. If it does, you've got air incursion between there and the fuel in your tank.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:05 am 

This may be a weird question; but on which side of the fuel filter assembly is your inline K pump located?

If it is after the filter, then something on the new fuel filter assembly is leaking air and not allowing the inline pump to build up vacuum all the way back to the fuel tank.
If it is before the new fuel filter assembly (between the filter & fuel tank), then I would take a real hard look at the pump itself and / or all the fuel lines, connections, etc... all the way back to the top of the fuel tank.
Also, some inline pumps do not allow fuel pass through if they fail or are not running! So manually pumping the primer pump is a waste of time if this is the case? :roll:

Many, including myself have installed the in-tank lift pump due to it's many advantages of putting the entire fuel system under positive pressure when running and it will also allow fuel passthrough if it were to fail for any reason. This feature also allows the manual fuel primer pump on top of the fuel filter housing to function normally and / or allows the CP3 the ability to suck the fuel from the fuel tank as it did when it came from the factory... :wink:

If you disconnect the fuel outlet hose from the K pump and cycle the key and nothing comes out of the inline pump while it is running, then either it has gone bad, or you have a leak on the suction side of the K pump allowing it to suck air and never build up any vacuum... :shock:

Good luck, and keep us posted as to what you ultimately find wrong...

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:17 pm 
LOST Member

The Kennedy Lift Pump is a centrifugal pump, its located just right outside the fuel tank. Being a centrifugal lift pump it will allow fuel to pass through it even in the case of failure. So im thinking i have a break somewhere within the tank its self.

The only other suggestion ive gotten is with the fuel filter being completely empty, it may need fuel already in it to begin the siphoning process. This makes sense for the hand pump but doesnt explain the lift pumps issue.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:39 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Racor filter head & 2 micron filter and a Carter in-tank lift pump. The Carter is a turbine pump. Fuel can be pulled through it when it isn't running. When I prime the fuel filter, I open the vent on the filter head and hand pump it until the fuel bowl is full. Once the fuel bowl is full, I close the vent and cycle the ignition key a few times to let the Carter lift pump finish filling the filter.

GDE FT ECO tune, GDE TCM ECO tune, ARP studs, HDS-001 203F T-Stat, 3.7L nylon fan & Hayden 2905 clutch, Carter P76148M in-tank pump, Racor 245R122 filter head & 2 micron R25S fuel filter, Provent 200, Samcos, Fumoto F-102, Litens 920834A de-coupler, PML rear diff cover, OEM trans pan with welded in bung, JBA UCAs, full skids.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:28 pm 

JBDeVega wrote:
The Kennedy Lift Pump is a centrifugal pump, its located just right outside the fuel tank. Being a centrifugal lift pump it will allow fuel to pass through it even in the case of failure. So im thinking i have a break somewhere within the tank its self.

The only other suggestion ive gotten is with the fuel filter being completely empty, it may need fuel already in it to begin the siphoning process. This makes sense for the hand pump but doesnt explain the lift pumps issue.This should have absolutely no effect on your K pump, the filter being empty! A good electric fuel pump should fill the fuel filter very quickly if it is functioning properly..

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Maybe the lines are reversed on the filter head?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:52 pm 
LOST Member

JBDeVega wrote:
I'm pretty sure centrifugal pumps need liquid in them in order to pump; it won't be able to suck fuel from the tank if the pump is full of air. If you disconnected the fuel lines, all of the fuel may have run back into the tank leaving you with air.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:15 pm 

joe_ wrote:
JBDeVega wrote:
I'm pretty sure centrifugal pumps need liquid in them in order to pump; it won't be able to suck fuel from the tank if the pump is full of air. If you disconnected the fuel lines, all of the fuel may have run back into the tank leaving you with air.

Another reason why the in-tank pump may be the better option! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:05 am 
LOST Member

So ended up taking it to a shop in SLC, they toke a look at it and said the filter assembly is bad. So i has them put the old assembly back in and it primed right up. So i got the vehicle back and decided to do some investigation my self. For what ever reason the filter works fine when the primer nob is secure but when its unscrewed in order to prime, all it dones it block the passage and force pressue in and out of only the intake line. Never quite seen a pump assembly like this.
Well reguardless this also goes to show that there may still be a issue with lift pump as well. So an intake pump may be in order in the future. Oh and for those that are curouse the Racor is in the Jeep now, i primed it by taking a line from the out port of the Racor and connected it to the OEM assembly and primed it that way, no issues now.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:31 pm 
LOST Member

JBDeVega wrote:
For what ever reason the filter works fine when the primer nob is secure but when its unscrewed in order to prime, all it dones it block the passage and force pressue in and out of only the intake line.
Maybe one of the check valves in the Racor primer pump is defective.

JBDeVega wrote:
Oh and for those that are curouse the Racor is in the Jeep now, i primed it by taking a line from the out port of the Racor and connected it to the OEM assembly and primed it that way, no issues now.
LOL! That's one way to do it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 am 
LOST Member

joe_ wrote:
Maybe one of the check valves in the Racor primer pump is defective.

After some thought, a faulty check valve does make perfect sense based on what i know about this primer system.

2.5" custom OME/JBA lift
Kennedy Lift Pump
Iron Rock Tri-link