It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Charger Air Cooler Hoses.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:53 am 
LOST Member

Has there been an issue with the ID Parts intercooler hoses? I see that they are no longer listed on their web catalog anymore, just the Samco pieces and a Crown aftermarket.

Related, is there an aftermarket alternative to the OEM Charge Air Cooler? I believe mine has developed a leak. Searched the forum on this question, came up empty, but most of the posts were old.

Cheers,

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Re: Charger Air Cooler Hoses.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:38 am 
LOST Member

I wondered the same thing about the idparts hoses and I hope not since I have them.

Only option I know than the samco and mishimoto are these... Not sure how they compare though..
https://www.amazon.com/Omix-Ada-17121-02-Outlet-Intercooler-Charge/dp/B007C7UTAK/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:54 pm 
LOST Addict

The Omix Ada CAC hoses are equivalent to the factory hoses.

I made my own instead.

If your intercooler is leaking, you might be able fix it with some epoxy or take it to a radiator shop.

There a lots of aftermarket intercoolers out there in various shapes and sizes. But none are specific to the Liberty CRD. You will have to figure out what will fit and make all the brackets to mount it in the grille.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:36 pm 
LOST Addict

I just put an aftermarket CAC on mine, should be a thread on here from a couple weeks back. Nothing will be plug-n-play like the OE unit though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
I just put an aftermarket CAC on mine, should be a thread on here from a couple weeks back. Nothing will be plug-n-play like the OE unit though.
this one I think ...
LOST JEEPS • View topic - 20"x10"x3.5" Bell Intercooler installed - http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87506

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:17 am 
LOST Addict

joe_ wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
this one I think ...
LOST JEEPS • View topic - 20"x10"x3.5" Bell Intercooler installed - http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87506

That’s it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

Samcos are the highest quality option on the market.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

The only problem I've noticed is that, with as tight as they have to be clamped to stay on, there is a possibility of the clamp crushing the hose into the rim on the turbo outlet. Mine had about a 1" slice in it. I was able to cut it a little shorter and make the hose still work. This, of course, wouldn't happen if the clamp were put on straight and below the bulge in the turbo outlet.

I don't think this would be any reason to cease production on them. Hopefully they're just out of stock currently.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 am 
LOST Member

To all who replied, thanks.

The reason for my query, is an observation of the hoses that I have in service on one of my CRD's. I have two CRD's, each with ID hoses installed. The one that is displaying this unusual tendency, has approx. two years and 70000 mi. on the hose set.

This description of the observation sounds a bit strange, but I really do not know another way to put it. Both charge hoses will be completely covered with a very thin film of what appears to be engine oil, but nothing else in the engine compartment displays this, somewhat eliminating an external leak. It appears that the CAC hoses are sweating engine oil. I have removed and completely cleaned and inspected them two or three times, found no damage, reinstalled to find the oil film reappear a week or two later. Almost like the carry over oil from the CCV is permeating the hose slowly.

Now, operationally, this vehicle makes two, 5-6 hour trips per week, at a sustained 75-80mph speed, without being shut down, plus normal local trips during the week. So, the CAC hoses are seeing 14-15psi boost pressure continually during this time. just curious if anyone else has observed this, and it seemed to coincide with the hoses no longer appearing in the catalog.

I am aware of the Provent option, there is not one installed currently, but may be in the future. However, the issue I am questioning is whether or not the hoses are bleeding slowly, be it oil or air.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:53 am 
LOST Addict

If you are not getting a underboost code or hearing anything that sounds like a boost leak, then you are probably not loosing any boost. Do you have a boost gauge?

Yes, the factory hoses are well known for sweating oil. I don't know if this is also a characteristic of the IDparts hoses or Samco hoses but no one else has reported anything about that.

Yes, a Provent will significantly reduce the amount of oil that gets into the boost hoses. Not 100%, but a lot better.

Of course, if you do like I did and make aluminum tubes, they will not sweat any oil.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 am 

I have had the Samco's for ~5 years now and they never showed any signs of oil permeation leakage prior to me installing a ProVent filter! They still look almost as new as the day I installed them.... :rockon:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:47 am 
LOST Member

I am not getting any codes. I thought I may have had a CAC leak based on a noise, but I believe I have narrowed that down to a failing fan clutch. No boost gauge, but I take live data from my scan tool sometimes. It will pull 70"hg during full acceleration. Runs between 50-58"hg driving at 75 -80mph.

Regarding the OEM CCV, I have found that cleaning out the loop seal under it in the cam cover actually helps to reduce oil carry over as well. I pull the CCV every oil change and clean the loop seal with bake cleaner and a wire/pipe cleaner. There is actually an obscure reference to doing this in the service manual.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:07 pm 
LOST Member

Now that you mention it, mine also seem to "sweat" a very light film of oil. It isn't ever enough to pool up and drip off the hoses, just enough to make them feel greasy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:09 pm 
LOST Member

I have the idparts hoses. I have some oil coating the inside of mine. I did have everything apart when i installed them and cleaned the intercooler (Soaked soapy water and washed out and checked for leaks) and turbo (surface whip only for that, figured whatever was left could lube it or IDK), and EHM out the back so no CCV. Not alot of oil, but enough to notice. Maybe i didnt get it all out of the intercooler or turbo as mentioned... The outside idk, everything in my engine is kinda dirty and diesel.. Even with wiping stuff down, never really deep cleaned since i just wash my hands and close the hood ha. Maybe i should though :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm 
LOST Member

APC9199 wrote:
Now that you mention it, mine also seem to "sweat" a very light film of oil. It isn't ever enough to pool up and drip off the hoses, just enough to make them feel greasy.

Me, too.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 pm 
LOST Addict

I have the Mishimoto CAC hoses and they sweat oily residue. I was running the EHM for most of the vehicles life but went back to the stock setup this summer and that’s when it started. I washed them in soapy water when I was installing the new intercooler and within a couple of days they were oily again.

I guess the Silicone is semi permeable and the fact that it sits under 15 psi of pressure all day everyday causes some oil to push through.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:24 pm 
LOST Member

We sold out of the IDParts hoses a few months back. We signed a distributor contract with SAMCO to bring some better pricing to the states, but with the understanding that we wouldn't be selling other options.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 pm 
LOST Member

cevans wrote:
We sold out of the IDParts hoses a few months back. We signed a distributor contract with SAMCO to bring some better pricing to the states, but with the understanding that we wouldn't be selling other options.

Maybe I'm missing something but all the hose options seem over priced to me. I've owned my share of boosted vehicles and normally hard boost hose kits cost as much or less than these let alone soft ones. But everything else I have owned had more market share / ownership so that probably brought the cost down. That being said I thought the imparts were the best bang for the buck so that's that I bought.

R.I.P. idparts hoses :grim:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:08 pm 
LOST Addict

ryanchris wrote:
cevans wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something but all the hose options seem over priced to me. I've owned my share of boosted vehicles and normally hard boost hose kits cost as much or less than these let alone soft ones. But everything else I have owned had more market share / ownership so that probably brought the cost down. That being said I thought the imparts were the best bang for the buck so that's that I bought.

R.I.P. idparts hoses :grim:

I’m pretty sure I only paid $125 for my mishimoto hoses. It was a long time ago though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I'm quite happy with my IDParts house brand hoses, but I also stripped the PolyWeb reinforcing from the stock hoses, and put it over the new IDParts hoses, so they don't swell at very high boost pressures.
They also don't exhibit any of the "oil sweating" that happens when the hoses stretch and swell.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set