It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ETC Electronic Throttle Control lightning bolt Warning light
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Judging from all the various ETC issues out there, Maybe a sticky is in order for the "Complete shake down fix"! The issue here is this light has been coming on so frequently now its driving me nuts. Last year it came on and eventually went into limp mode. Normaly stopping and shutting the engine off and restarting would kill the light for some time but today I restarted the engine a dozen times. Sometimes when the light is on, the power dies completely then powers back up in a matter of 3 seconds. Never any codes set. I have both GDE Eco tune ECM and Trans tune. My wife uses this as her daily and Loves it so selling is not in the cards.
I have replaced the rear Wheel speed sensor (11.8 volts there), cleaned the MAF, checked ohm resistance on my new steel glow plugs n found 0.1 on all 4. I have read the Wrangler guys have a lot of folks changing out various bad factory harnesses.
Please don't say Im braking with throttle on.... The petal is free and clear of any obstructions. Some where there is an electrical fault. Does some one have a list of each component that can be linked to the ETC light fault? That would be tremendously helpful to build an "end all" ETC post.

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set
My beloved oil hammers....

Last edited by xtriggerman on Tue May 24, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Electronic Throttle Control light.... need more fix sugg
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Given that the throttle is 100% electronic, the problem could be with the pedal itself or the wiring harness to the pedal.

Post subject: Re: Electronic Throttle Control light.... need more fix sugg
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:36 am 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
Given that the throttle is 100% electronic, the problem could be with the pedal itself or the wiring harness to the pedal.

Yes, That seems like the next move. And maybe a new MAF? I hate to start throwing money at this willy nilly and hope someone here has found the weak link. Maybe even specific harness ground points that become corroded and need to be re-terminaled.
I even asked Kevin at GDE if he could broaden the ETC fault parameters in the ECM. I would gladly send him my ECM for that since the engine runs perfect despite a slight parameter run out on .....something. On another CRD post with this ETC issue they eventually pulled a P0146. Possibly a Boost issue? Like most all postings of this ETC ghost, the posting was inconclusive.

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set

Post subject: ETC Electronic Throttle Control lightning bolt Warning light
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Today I installed a new Accelerator petal ($111 at Rock Auto) and a new MAP. I understand the GDE tune eliminated the EGR function and the MAP is primarily tied to the EGR but on the chance that it may be also tied to the variable vain turbo, I cant go wrong putting a new one in for the 25 bucks it cost. I wanted to splice in a new ground off the petal ground wire but could find no info of which of the 6 wires is the ground. If someone can look up which pin or color wire that is, I would appreciate it. These new solid state Pots are beyond my ability to determine which is the ground.
I also wanted to clean up any grounds that I could find and the only one I spotted easily was the large ground behind the battery. I cut the connector off, opened it up to remove the old pinched in wires, cleaned the new strands up with a SS brush and soldered the connector back on. These grounds are starting to show cleanable corrosion after 11 years.
According to this older post, some have found the front wheel speed sensors to be at fault and the Alternator is also a player despite the battery being well charged at all times. Those 2 items will be in the next plan of attack if the light has not yet been put to permanent sleep.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75694
After thinking about the Alternator being a possible cause, I remembered an issue of Transmission shift wandering on my 01 Dodge Cummins PU. One of the fixes was to wrap the Alternator hot wire with aluminum foil. I found that fix greatly improved that particular issue. Now on the Jeep, they routed the main harness bundle within an inch or so of the Alternator. As it was explained on the CTD in depth, a good Alternator can actually have a bad or weak diode. When they do, the Alternator sends out a dirty magnetic signal into any wires that are near by especially the main hot wire. With the ECM having so many tight sensor parameters, washing the wires down in a "dirty" electro magnetic wave form may well cause issues as it does to the CTD trany drive train module. So here is my step one. A foil wrapped and zip tied main harness section behind the Alternator. Here I removed the tri bracket to pull the harness up for a nice foil treatment.
The trip out to Knoxville next week will tell me if I have it licked. If it comes on again, I'll foil the hot wire next.
Amazing that the jeep runs so well with both the GDE engine & trans tune yet out of no where the lightning bolt dings up onto the dash! No codes, Mostly high speed cruising after half and hour or more driving but not allways. On rare occasion, right after start up. No rhyme nor reason to the ETC light.

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set

Post subject: Re: ETC Electronic Throttle Control lightning bolt Warning l
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:28 pm 

Have you replaced the crank sensor? They are notorious for causing problems and not setting a code (DTC)...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:20 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
I understand the GDE tune eliminated the EGR function and the MAP is primarily tied to the EGR but...

Dont get MAP confused with MAF.
The MAP sensor in on top of the engine and is absolutely necessary. Its the only way for the ECM to know pressure coming from the turbo.

The MAF sensor is on top of the air filter box and is whats tied to the EGR function.

As far as finding the ground wire for the throttle goes...
Best I can tell you is to continuity test the pins at the harness and find which one goes to ground. Might work, might not, but I know of no other way.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Have you replaced the crank sensor? They are notorious for causing problems and not setting a code (DTC)...

Great tip! I'v not read about that kind of tie in and can be added to the list of possibilities.

Flash, Thanks for straightening me out on the 2 sensors, Some where I read here that the MAP was not used any more with the EGR delete. Obviously I or someone else got our sensors mixed up. And the ground finding tip is spot on! The older I get it seems the simple things are beginning to elude me! I cleaned up and solder joined the second big ground that is also located behind the battery on the fender pan. It has 2 ground wires joined into one eye loop. The wires were showing crusted green oxidation around the crimp So I cut the connector off and soldered a heavy single wire to the 2 and reground the connector after all joints were soldered. It was a bear to get those 2 wires tined up and joined with a soldering gun since they are in tight down their. Im assuming that double ground belongs to the main chassis harness while the other "stud" screw one is engine. If anyone knows of any other ground locations, please chime in. The older these vehicles get, the more issues will arise from corroded wire crimps.

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

As of right now with a 200 mile trip completed today, the pesky ETC light did not light! I cant say for sure that its gone but it normally would have come on, on a extended 75 mph run down I-40. As I get more miles on, I will continue to update this post since there should be a check list compiled suggesting the cheapest mods to most expensive items to R&R.
:JEEPIN:

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

I put on another run out to Knoxville with the AC on and no ETC light. It certainly looks like its gone.
So, if you ever get this ETC lightning bolt light and you are not foot breaking while accelerating, This is what I suggest you do first.
1) Reconnect the 2 ground eye connectors with solder that are located on the fender pan behind the battery.
If you still get the light,
2) do the harness foil treatment as described above. If those don't do it
3) clean the MAF and R&R the MAP in the intake manifold. About 25 bucks
4) replace the rear wheel speed sensor. About 25 bucks
If you are still getting the light, you finaly need to pony up the $111 at rock auto for a
5) replace the accelerator petal.
If you have this issue and already tried these 5 fixes to no avail, Please help grow the list of possible fixes!

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 7:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have had the ETC lightning bolt show up infrequently over the 4 years I have owned my CRD, until recently when it progressed to a perpetual nuisance & something of a safety concern. Originally it only lit up (no CEL to accompany it) on rainy days, but not every time it rained.

A couple of weeks ago it started every trip, mostly when on a right-hand bend, but sometimes when braking or even lifting off the accelerator pedal. The right-bends became the safety issue; it's tough to merge onto a 70+ mph freeway when the car goes into limp mode on the on-ramp.

I found this thread and was prepared to try all the steps xt listed, but I decided to start with the wiring harness where is passes behind the fuel filter bracket. Bingo! One wire had chafed through the sleeving and insulation & bare copper was showing. For reference, it was dark brown (possibly black) with a white stripe. I have not tracked the function down in the service manual yet.

It did not appear that any strands were broken, so I gooped it up with some "liquid electrical tape" I had on hand, then wrapped the whole bundle with a thick layer of the stretch-type rubber splicing tape. I added some 3/4 flat rubber faucet washers on the studs behind the filter bracket to space it a little further from the firewall (I had to drill them out to fit) to give the harness a bit more room. I also added some rubber C-edging to the area of the bracket that the harness chafes against.

My best guess is that the wire only grounded out due to the g-forces of the right-hand bends or deceleration.

I have driven two short trips so far (long enough to typically trigger the lightning bolt) & so far so good. After my 600 mile trip tomorrow I will know for sure if that was it or if I need to continue down xt's list.

2006 Inferno Red CRD, 267,000 km and counting. Mods: GDE Eco Tune, GDE Towing Tune, red Mishimoto boost hoses, G2 rear diff cover, home-brew ProVent, Hemi T/C, updated front pump, AFE deep 68RFE trans pan, curved LED light bar. More to come as time and finances allow...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 am 
LOST Newbie

I am getting the ETC light and loss of power on my 05 crd... I will start with grounds and check the wire harness.

Eric,
Is the wire harness you worked on large or small? And did you have to cut thru the Look/tape to do the repair?

Thanks,
Randy