It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3D Printed Grill Insert
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey guys,

Thought I'd leave this here if anyone is into 3D printing. Here's a simple https://www.tinkercad.com/things/7T1aCsHd1m4 small grill insert.
If you take 14 of these and attach them as shown it does a pretty good job of keeping the engine warm in very cold weather. I'd rather have printed it in black but I didn't have any black filament handy only green. Image
The following was 6mi driving down the road right after startup when the outside temp was -26C (-15F).
Honestly if it's warmer where you drive you might want to block with fewer pieces.

Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Grill Insert
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Very nice, what did you use abs or pla? Is it parametric for other grills? My printer is offline because my jeep is in my garage because i tried starting it cold at minus 20. FML. I'm going to try this. Thanks

Post subject: Re: 3D Printed Grill Insert
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:04 am 
LOST Newbie

I used pla and it's not parametric just a quick and dirty design to replace the cardboard that failed shortly after I put it in place. I never gave any other model grills a thought. I intended the ribs to go on the inside as they are just for stiffness. I ran it at 75mph and temp was high so I believe they aren't deforming like the cardboard did. I used pretty coarse layer height (0.5mm) and hollow settings (40% infill) and the end result is still plenty rigid.