It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best way to operate glow plugs in cold weather
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

With recent cold weather here in the Midwest I am trying to figure out the best way to operate my not-so-effective Etecno 7V glow plugs. My glow plug delay light on the dash always goes out in like 3-5 seconds after the key is switched to the ignition (pardon my non-diesel jargon) position regardless of the engine/coolant temperature. Looks like there is just some built in fixed time delay. I saw recommendations to wait longer; someone else suggested to repeat the switch on - switch off sequence several times. In any case it seems that having glow plugs on for longer time prior to cranking should help. So what is the current consensus on the best way to achieve that? Do glow plugs turn off the moment dash light goes off?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

P.S. Yes, 5V glow plugs are definitely on my bucket list, but I need to see my heating bill first...

Post subject: Re: Best way to operate glow plugs in cold weather
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

As I understand, the light goes out well before the glow plugs shut off. To make sure they are hot you can try:

Turning the key on waiting about the amount of time listed in the thread below.
Turning the key off and back on wait the time listed in the thread below.
Then try and crank the engine.

There is a table of pre start glow plug times in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83561

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:56 pm 
LOST Addict

This is the heat cycle according to the FSM:
Notice the "Wait to Start Lamp On" times!
Some have posted that the table may not be fully accurate! :roll:

Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/Battery Tray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/Hayden HD clutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair,K&N

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:52 pm 
LOST Member

The tactic I adopted (and this was used down to 5°F):

- Turn key to 'ON', wait until seat belt chimes stop. Turn key to 'OFF'.
- Repeat the above two more times.

Didn't have any issues with cold starts. They weren't what you'd call instantaneous, but they were much easier than without doing so and I din't have that sinking sensation of, 'oh God, am I going to flatten the battery completely this time?' going along with cranking it over.

2005 KJ CRD Limited 4x4: 225/75R16 Goodyear TrailRunner ATs, Yeti's Stage 2 tune, HDS Model 001 Thermostat, and Stage 1 Weeks Kit. Waiting for a warm, dry weekend to install Stage 2. Mostly just bulletproofing for now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:

Thanks WW, but I suspect this data is indeed at least not fully accurate. My recent experience in northern Wisconsin where it was definitely colder than -10C, "wait to start lamp on" time was still as short as usual. While I didn't use the stop watch I presume I should be able to tell the difference between 1 and 10 seconds! BTW the engine refused to start after multiple attempts, it fired up only after using the block heater for half an hour. This "light on" was also just as short when the temperatures dropped to -29C (-20F), but then I was using the block heater overnight, so the experiment was not clean.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

casm wrote:
The tactic I adopted (and this was used down to 5°F):

- Turn key to 'ON', wait until seat belt chimes stop. Turn key to 'OFF'.
- Repeat the above two more times.

Didn't have any issues with cold starts. They weren't what you'd call instantaneous, but they were much easier than without doing so and I din't have that sinking sensation of, 'oh God, am I going to flatten the battery completely this time?' going along with cranking it over.

Great, thanks, will try that once it gets cold again next week!
A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm 
LOST Member

BoarX wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

Thanks WW, but I suspect this data is indeed at least not fully accurate. My recent experience in northern Wisconsin where it was definitely colder than -10C, "wait to start lamp on" time was still as short as usual. While I didn't use the stop watch I presume I should be able to tell the difference between 1 and 10 seconds! BTW the engine refused to start after multiple attempts, it fired up only after using the block heater for half an hour. This "light on" was also just as short when the temperatures dropped to -29C (-20F), but then I was using the block heater overnight, so the experiment was not clean.
Somewhere I came across a .pdf ("KJ 2.5L/2.8L Diesel Supplement") explaining the glow plug system, and it has that same table. It also mentions 12 volt glow plugs and two relays, with each relay controlling two glow plugs. Sounds like the older 2002-2004 glow plug system. In other words, I'm thinking that table was incorrectly carried over into the 2005+ service manuals from the older manuals which pertain to the old 12 volt glow plug system.

edit: I figured out where that .pdf came from; here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2.5_2.8_export_diesel/2.5CRD.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Etecno1 makes a 12v glow plug for the Euro-Cherokee-CRDs I don't know if they will fit the domestic ones or not. Or if they even ship them here. IIRC it was an Italian vendor on Ebay.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

Flowmaster 942550
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15017911
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

Future plans: GDE Trans tune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 pm 
LOST Addict

joe_ wrote:
BoarX wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

Somewhere I came across a .pdf ("KJ 2.5L/2.8L Diesel Supplement") explaining the glow plug system, and it has that same table. It also mentions 12 volt glow plugs and two relays, with each relay controlling two glow plugs. Sounds like the older 2002-2004 glow plug system. In other words, I'm thinking that table was incorrectly carried over into the 2005+ service manuals from the older manuals which pertain to the old 12 volt glow plug system.

edit: I figured out where that .pdf came from; here: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2.5_2.8_export_diesel/2.5CRD.pdf

The table I published came out of the 2005 CRD Service Manual I have on file! It is not for the export version, but rather the domestic US version!

Yeti Stg4 MaxTune
Weeks ElbowKit/Battery Tray
NO FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pump
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NOcat
V6 Airbox
GM11 blade fan/Hayden HD clutch
Ironrock Trilink
98 Dodge Cummins, 5"exh. Viair,K&N

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:49 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
The table I published came out of the 2005 CRD Service Manual I have on file! It is not for the export version, but rather the domestic US version!
I know, I've seen that table in the 2005 manual as well. But I think it was an error on DiamlerChrysler's part to include that in the 2005+ manuals. The factory glow plug systems are drastically different between the 2002-2004 and the 2005-2007 models; I can't imagine that info is correct for both systems. I think it should've been updated but was overlooked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

I just mentioned the 12v ones, as folks have expressed interest in having a manually operated 12v system in the past.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set