It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ford F-150 and Chevy 1500 diesel announced
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:25 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
I sure wish Nissan or Toyota would sale their small pickups with the 4 cyl diesel engine in the US. They have them in other countries.
Not everyone wants a big pickup but would rather have a small 4 door pickup with the torque of a diesel engine.... :roll:

I've been thinking of putting our crd drive-train in a wrangler, but maybe I should consider the pickups as well, hmm.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Somebody didn't read their owner's manual about towing capacities!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:09 am 
LOST Member

I was looking into the Ford Explorer with the 3.5L Ecoboost to replace my Libby that tows my boat but I found on the freeway where my Libby would never come out of 5th gear with the torque converter locked, the Ecoboost would always unlock the TC and occasionally drop down a gear meaning poorer fuel economy and shorter engine life. I have friends that own them and absolutely love them commuting though. If you compare the torque and power numbers at highway RPM's (2000-2200) They are both similar but the little VM just out pulls it in an apples to apples to comparison.

Post subject: Ford F-150 and Chevy 1500 diesel announced
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:09 pm 
LOST Addict

DieselJeepLuvr wrote:
I was looking into the Ford Explorer with the 3.5L Ecoboost to replace my Libby that tows my boat but I found on the freeway where my Libby would never come out of 5th gear with the torque converter locked, the Ecoboost would always unlock the TC and occasionally drop down a gear meaning poorer fuel economy and shorter engine life. I have friends that own them and absolutely love them commuting though. If you compare the torque and power numbers at highway RPM's (2000-2200) They are both similar but the little VM just out pulls it in an apples to apples to comparison.

Seeing as your Jeep is tuned, you should also consider a tune for the Explorer for a true apples to apples comparison. I have a tuned 6200 lb F150 Ecoboost on 33" Duratracs and it out torques my GDE Hot Tuned Jeep on 31's at any RPM you want. Now put that same tune in a 5000 lb SUV on smaller/lighter street tires and it will annihilate the jeep. Towing wont even be close. I cruise at 70mph in 6th here in utah towing a 5500 lb travel trailed like its not there. It can hold 6th on 2-3% grades. 7% grades it never exceeds 3250 rpms still doing 70.

It also is likely the transmission tuning. While my truck will hold 6th gear locked all day long, the couple of Expeditions I have rented with the 3.5L Ecoboost have VERY different transmission tuning. Its clear they tuned them for comfort. I had one this weekend up at Whistler and I noticed it unlocked the converter all the time. it was obnoxious. Tuning will fix this as well. Its not like the Jeep where it's a separate TCM with limited tuning available. Its all done through the PCM so every tuner is likely adjusting the transmission as well as the engine. Most of them will make custom tunes for you so that you get it exactly how you want it, not just a one size fits all. I've gone back to my tuner multiple times with small tweaks I wanted done as I noticed things I didnt like.

Also, the ecoboost's do not always act like you expect. Downshifting to 5th does not mean its getting worse MPG's. I know a lot of guys with F150 Ecoboosts swear that towing in 5th yields better MPG's even though they have plenty of power to tow in 6th. When it downshifts it means it doesnt need to make as much boost for the same power.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:33 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:

Also, the ecoboost's do not always act like you expect. Downshifting to 5th does not mean its getting worse MPG's. I know a lot of guys with F150 Ecoboosts swear that towing in 5th yields better MPG's even though they have plenty of power to tow in 6th. When it downshifts it means it doesnt need to make as much boost for the same power.

??? When it downshifts, the RPM's increase and so does the boost.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

joelukex4 wrote:

Yes and no, turbos work off of load. Sure the more air that goes through the engine the faster the turbo spins, but that doesnt mean its making boost. To put this into perspective imagine this:

Go up a 7% hill at 3,500rpms under a full load in 6th gear.
Now go down that 7% hill at 3,500 rpms, in 6th gear and you dont have to touch the throttle.

OBVIOUSLY the turbo will make more boost going up the hill than down, this is because of engine load.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:57 pm 
LOST Member

diesel_guy86 wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

Yes and no, turbos work off of load. Sure the more air that goes through the engine the faster the turbo spins, but that doesnt mean its making boost. To put this into perspective imagine this:

Now go down that 7% hill at 3,500 rpms, in 6th gear and you dont have to touch the throttle.

OBVIOUSLY the turbo will make more boost going up the hill than down, this is because of engine load.

Understood but the statement was - I know a lot of guys with F150 Ecoboosts swear that towing in 5th yields better MPG's even though they have plenty of power to tow in 6th. When it downshifts it means it doesnt need to make as much boost for the same power. - Assuming towing the engine is under a load.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:25 pm 
LOST Addict

joelukex4 wrote:
diesel_guy86 wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

Understood but the statement was - I know a lot of guys with F150 Ecoboosts swear that towing in 5th yields better MPG's even though they have plenty of power to tow in 6th. When it downshifts it means it doesnt need to make as much boost for the same power. - Assuming towing the engine is under a load.

The turbos are wastegated so boost is fully controlled by the ECU. The ecoboosts act very much like a diesel in that they are pretty much in boost right off the line, its not like older turbo cars that dont spool until 3000 rpms. Mine will make 15 psi at 1500 rpm if you are deep in the throttle. If the ECU wants less boost they just open the wastegates and the exhaust gas bypasses the turbine. If you only need x amount of HP to tow a trailer on flat ground you can make that hp with a lot of torque at a little RPM, or a little torque at a lot of RPM. By dropping to 5th it gives you an extra 500 rpm's to make that power with so you dont need as much torque and therefore you dont need to work the turbos as hard to cram the air in.

It just so happens that the Ecoboost sometimes likes to turn a little more RPM and run at a lower load from an efficiency standpoint. And I am only talking about 500 rpm's not 3000. Running in 6th I am at 2000 rpm at 70mph, 5th would be around 2500. i dont personally do this, I just put it in drive and turn on tow/haul mode and let it do its thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

diesel_guy86 wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

Yes it's called fuel deceleration cutoff,all newer gas vehicles have it.Why you never want to shift into "N" going downhill,as your idling going downhill and picking up speed while still using fuel.

Coming down from Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 my KJ(RIP) would hold 45mph with the OD locked out and after 1/2-3/4 of a mile the temp gauge would start dropping since the PCM had cut off all fuel.Great for a super controlled speed going down steep declines since no braking would be needed but sucked in the colder months since the heat would stop working.