It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OME shock life?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 am 
LOST Addict

What have people been getting for life expectancy out of the OME shocks on these CRD’s. I’m getting a loud moan/groan when I hit a hard bump from the Front end that sounds like the shocks. I’m approaching 35k miles.

Post subject: Re: OME shock life?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:48 am 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
What have people been getting for life expectancy out of the OME shocks on these CRD’s. I’m getting a loud moan/groan when I hit a hard bump from the Front end that sounds like the shocks. I’m approaching 35k miles.

It may possibly be the bushings in the front sway bar that are making that noise. Lubing them up with a grease that will not harm the rubber bushings will quiet the noise if indeed that is the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:21 am 
LOST Addict

I have the same problem, and right about 35k also strangely enough. I just put in jba arms, and was hoping that would help as the stock upper ball joints were toast after 35k miles,, but I'll know tomorrow after the alignment.
If the shocks were bad you'd feel the terrible handling though, and you could bounce the front of the jeep by standing on your ARB bumper. I guess that sound isn't a good sign though, if coming from the shock :?:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:

Luck of the draw like many parts(water pump,bearings,and such).Can last 10 miles or 100,000 miles.

But OME is a higher quality part which should be at the upper end so generally 100k on them and still functioning correctly is not unheard of.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 am 
LOST Addict

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

It may possibly be the bushings in the front sway bar that are making that noise. Lubing them up with a grease that will not harm the rubber bushings will quiet the noise if indeed that is the problem.

Yes. Most likely bushings.
Unfortunately there no easy or effective way to lube the bushings.

For me, the creaking sound only happens during cold weather and is most noticeable when going over speed bumps. During warm weather everything sounds fine.

About a year ago I replaced my front shocks thinking that would fix the creaking sounds. It didn't help.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Best solution for bushings,more so front swaybar mount bushings(frame bushings) is to was with hot water and soap at high pressure.

Most self serve carwashes have hot water with soap,not a hit them for a few seconds and call it good,must do often and hit them for at least 60 seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:47 am 
LOST Member

My brothers 06 CRD is all stock with 110K and he has only replaced the wishbone arm in the rear.
My 05 CRD is all stock with 138K and I have not replaced anything.
Only shows that highway driving is easy on the suspension.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

joelukex4 wrote:
My brothers 06 CRD is all stock with 110K and he has only replaced the wishbone arm in the rear.

I can guarantee your shocks are shot and all your coils are sagged.

"Highway driving" does not extent suspension parts life.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 pm 
LOST Member

Coils all sagged even then and does not bottom until very hard hit. Trailer does not make it sag. Still rides decent on road.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
joelukex4 wrote:

I can guarantee your shocks are shot and all your coils are sagged.

"Highway driving" does not extent suspension parts life.

I never said highway driving "extends" suspension life. I said it was easier on the suspension. You can't tell me that 100K miles off road driving, beating the piss out of a suspension or 100K miles around town are easier on a suspension than 100K of highway driving.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

joelukex4 wrote:
I never said highway driving "extends" suspension life. I said it was easier on the suspension. You can't tell me that 100K miles off road driving, beating the piss out of a suspension or 100K miles around town are easier on a suspension than 100K of highway driving.

Local guy that I used to wheel with that has a '00 XJ has 250,000 miles on a set of Rubicon Express(pre-buy out) shocks that you still can barely compress just like brand new and he wheels almost every weekend,snow bashing in the winter.