It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrecked my Jeep.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I hit a spot of ice on the highway (I thought I lived in Texas for a reason) and about the time I was getting it straightened back out someone came flying by and it was either hit him or the guardrail, so I put it into the wall as easy as I could. Well I broke one of my wheels, cracked the bumper, busted my driver's side marker light (or whatever the one on the side of the bumper is) and pretty sure I bent some stuff in the front end. My steering wheel is about 20 degrees off center to the right and I have some pull to the left. Right now it's too wet and snowy to crawl under it to check it out, so what do y'all think the most likely thing is? A tierod or something?

Post subject: Re: Wrecked my Jeep.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Sorry to hear about that and glad youre ok. My coworker is in Houston and said things were shut down. His wife is a nurse and he hospital told her to stay home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ya, most things around here were shut down, and I was stir crazy so I was going to run to walmart and get a few things. I slid it to where the bumper just barely hit the wall, it didn't even jar me. The wheel is trashed, broke part of the lip off, and after I got that changed it got rid of a lot of the pull, but I'm waiting till this weekend when it's back up in the 60s to check the front end. So I figured while I'm waiting I'd see if anyone on here knew what it would probably be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:45 pm 
LOST Member

Ice is mean.

Tie rods can bend. Check ball-joints, tie rod ends, and the steering rack. Anywhere the impact could end up at.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 pm 
LOST Member

If your steering wheel is that far off I can almost guarantee you blew the steering rack, among other things. It is not cheap (aftermarket ones aren't really recommended) but you can do it yourself if you're patient. Wheels can be found from salvage yards usually. The bumpers, light, etc are all easily replaced once you have the steering rack replaced. I have done a pretty in-depth rebuild of the front end of one of mine, including the rack, and it really isn't that bad if you take your time and be patient. Removing the rack feels like putting together a puzzle with a bunch of pieces missing, but it CAN be done without taking the entire front end apart!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60454

When mine got side-swiped I rebuilt the front end before really doing much else to it. When I got around to firing the engine up and trying to drive it a bit it rumbled and vibrated like the engine was miss-firing. I concluded that the timing belt must have skipped a tooth or something when it got hit, continued to rebuild the top end, only to start it up after and get the same behavior! Long story short...it ended up being the motor mounts. The shock from the impact tore them internally and the engine was rattling the whole body violently, even at idle. I'm just saying this so you know to check the motor mounts prior to doing something as involved as rebuilding the top end like I did, IF you find you have the same rough idle issue I did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

APC9199 wrote:
If your steering wheel is that far off I can almost guarantee you blew the steering rack, among other things. It is not cheap (aftermarket ones aren't really recommended) but you can do it yourself if you're patient. Wheels can be found from salvage yards usually. The bumpers, light, etc are all easily replaced once you have the steering rack replaced. I have done a pretty in-depth rebuild of the front end of one of mine, including the rack, and it really isn't that bad if you take your time and be patient. Removing the rack feels like putting together a puzzle with a bunch of pieces missing, but it CAN be done without taking the entire front end apart!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60454

When mine got side-swiped I rebuilt the front end before really doing much else to it. When I got around to firing the engine up and trying to drive it a bit it rumbled and vibrated like the engine was miss-firing. I concluded that the timing belt must have skipped a tooth or something when it got hit, continued to rebuild the top end, only to start it up after and get the same behavior! Long story short...it ended up being the motor mounts. The shock from the impact tore them internally and the engine was rattling the whole body violently, even at idle. I'm just saying this so you know to check the motor mounts prior to doing something as involved as rebuilding the top end like I did, IF you find you have the same rough idle issue I did.

If it is the steering rack, is it the same one as the gas engine? I looked them up to get an idea about price and they all say for the 3.7.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:11 pm 
LOST Member

Im pretty sure its the same. I ordered 52109970AA from moparamerica.com. They had the best price when I did mine in 2015. You'll probably have to shop around to find the best price now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:39 pm 
LOST Member

Left-hand drive KJs seem to use the same steering rack regardless of engine. Right-hand drive lists one for 4-cylinder and one for V6.

I'm seeing different numbers in the 2002-2005 parts catalogs than I'm seeing in the 2006-2007 catalogs. When I plug the 2005 number into one of the Mopar parts stores' websites, it doesn't come up as being superseded by the 2006 number so I have to assume they're not interchangeable.

I'm finding:

2002-2005 LHD, all engines: 52128517AE
2002-2005 RHD, 3.7L V6: 52128518AE
2002-2005 RHD, 2.4L/2.5L/2.8L I4: 52128588AE

2006-2007 LHD, all engines: 52109970AA
2006-2007 RHD, 3.7L V6: 52109971AA
2006-2007 RHD, 2.4L/2.5L/2.8L I4: 52109972AA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I took the Jeep to work today and checked it out. As far as I can tell, nothing is bent or broken, but it moved the subframe about a 1/4". So after I get out of the hole the holidays and being closed for the weather put me in I'm going to take it to a frame shop and get it checked out.