It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another unidentifiable noise...
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:37 pm 
LOST Member

Can anyone recommend a rebuild kit for the front diff in the CRD? Should be the same as any other Dana-30 rebuild kit right? I don't know if there are vendors or manufacturers to avoid, to look for, etc. I think the shop found a Dorman kit for the carrier bearings and outer bearings which supposedly uses National brand bearings. I was hoping for something from the Timken or SKF realm, personally, but I don't see a lot of options out there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:13 pm 
LOST Member

This is not an area I've dealt with so this could be totally off base, but had a thought. Couldn't you get it up to speed where the noise starts then hit the no OD button on the shifter. I think doing that would force the tranny to a lower gear and then you could see if that affected the noise. If it did, still might be the front diff but may point to other things too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:13 pm 
LOST Member

APC9199 wrote:
I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and cannot seem to nail it down.

The noise comes from the engine bay, almost certainly the passenger side.
It only happens (noticeably) above about 50, maybe 55, miles per hour.
It only happens under load and goes away when I back off the throttle even just to maintain speed. ANY throttle makes the noise appear. Removing throttle at all makes it go away.
If I drive on the highway with cruise control on the noise appears going up even the slightest grade and goes away as soon as the road is flat again. It is very sensitive!

Now the fun part, internet sound charades!

The best way I can describe the noise is almost like someone sitting in the engine bay while I'm driving, sucking through the straw of an empty cup. That gurgling noise...but muffled. It also kind of sounds like a high-speed bearing with no lubrication when they get that "rattly" kind of sound. Skip to 1:40 in the following video to get an idea of what I mean...when he spins the bearing by hand. Also, that video is kind of fun...sorry to those of you who end up on a 2-hour Youtube binge after watching that! The noise does not sound like an actual sucking sound like a vacuum leak, it is more mechanical but very inconsistent...coming and going in spurts as long as the throttle is pressed. It also doesn't sound as distinct as a failing bearing. It is a strange sound that I can only relate to those things for lack of a better description. It isn't loud enough to record and post for you to hear either. Sorry that conveying the sound isn't easier...I just know something is going to fail eventually and probably leave me stranded in the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7ATpnGQW0

Now, some things to consider. The turbo is NOT OEM. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but it is obviously a no-name turbo. There are only a few markings on it to identify it and I have not tried. The shaft seems like it is in good shape and the vehicle has made this noise since I bought it at 88k miles. It has 115k now. If the turbo were failing it would have done it by now. I'm not saying it ISN'T the turbo, but it doesn't seem like a failing component if it is. Is there anything else in/on the turbo that might make this noise. even if the turbo is generally healthy? A seal that is leaking at 55+ mph for some reason? Could the vacuum solenoid or modulator make any sounds at higher speeds? I just rebuilt the top end from the head gasket up. I was thinking I would find the problem somewhere along the way and be able to eliminate it, but it is back now that things are back together. EVERYTHING has a new gasket, most of them with high temp RTV or copper-coat gasket sealant. I can't see or hear any leaks (or see evidence of any) of any kind under the hood. CAC hoses, air box to turbo hose, CCV to turbo, etc, are all well clamped and sealed from what I can tell. I re-seated the EGR end-cap on the exhaust manifold with a generous amount of high temp RTV as well, while it was off. Injectors are not leaking. I can't think of anything else in that area that might make this noise!

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could start eliminating possibilities without throwing tons of money at replacing random parts until I find it (possibly including the turbo)??? I obviously have no way to get under the hood at 55 mph to locate it under load when it seems to be making noise. Any help would be appreciated. If I don't find it soon I'm going to wrap the Jeep around a tree and call it "fixed"! haha! :twisted:

ive had those noises believe it or not it may be a fouling injector,.its amazing how things go strait to hell evan if 1 of them is misfiring evan remotely

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:29 pm 
LOST Member

highironcrd wrote:
APC9199 wrote:
I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and cannot seem to nail it down.

The noise comes from the engine bay, almost certainly the passenger side.
It only happens (noticeably) above about 50, maybe 55, miles per hour.
It only happens under load and goes away when I back off the throttle even just to maintain speed. ANY throttle makes the noise appear. Removing throttle at all makes it go away.
If I drive on the highway with cruise control on the noise appears going up even the slightest grade and goes away as soon as the road is flat again. It is very sensitive!

Now the fun part, internet sound charades!

The best way I can describe the noise is almost like someone sitting in the engine bay while I'm driving, sucking through the straw of an empty cup. That gurgling noise...but muffled. It also kind of sounds like a high-speed bearing with no lubrication when they get that "rattly" kind of sound. Skip to 1:40 in the following video to get an idea of what I mean...when he spins the bearing by hand. Also, that video is kind of fun...sorry to those of you who end up on a 2-hour Youtube binge after watching that! The noise does not sound like an actual sucking sound like a vacuum leak, it is more mechanical but very inconsistent...coming and going in spurts as long as the throttle is pressed. It also doesn't sound as distinct as a failing bearing. It is a strange sound that I can only relate to those things for lack of a better description. It isn't loud enough to record and post for you to hear either. Sorry that conveying the sound isn't easier...I just know something is going to fail eventually and probably leave me stranded in the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN7ATpnGQW0

Now, some things to consider. The turbo is NOT OEM. I didn't realize it when I bought it, but it is obviously a no-name turbo. There are only a few markings on it to identify it and I have not tried. The shaft seems like it is in good shape and the vehicle has made this noise since I bought it at 88k miles. It has 115k now. If the turbo were failing it would have done it by now. I'm not saying it ISN'T the turbo, but it doesn't seem like a failing component if it is. Is there anything else in/on the turbo that might make this noise. even if the turbo is generally healthy? A seal that is leaking at 55+ mph for some reason? Could the vacuum solenoid or modulator make any sounds at higher speeds? I just rebuilt the top end from the head gasket up. I was thinking I would find the problem somewhere along the way and be able to eliminate it, but it is back now that things are back together. EVERYTHING has a new gasket, most of them with high temp RTV or copper-coat gasket sealant. I can't see or hear any leaks (or see evidence of any) of any kind under the hood. CAC hoses, air box to turbo hose, CCV to turbo, etc, are all well clamped and sealed from what I can tell. I re-seated the EGR end-cap on the exhaust manifold with a generous amount of high temp RTV as well, while it was off. Injectors are not leaking. I can't think of anything else in that area that might make this noise!

Does anyone have any ideas of how I could start eliminating possibilities without throwing tons of money at replacing random parts until I find it (possibly including the turbo)??? I obviously have no way to get under the hood at 55 mph to locate it under load when it seems to be making noise. Any help would be appreciated. If I don't find it soon I'm going to wrap the Jeep around a tree and call it "fixed"! haha! :twisted:

ive had those noises believe it or not it may be a fouling injector,.its amazing how things go strait to hell evan if 1 of them is misfiring evan remotely

I have a 2 micron secondary fuel filter ready to install, I just have a million other small projects that keep taking priority. Once that is in, I'm planning on picking up some re-manufactured injectors and either returning mine for core or having them rebuilt and put on the shelf until I need them again. I have only been getting a hand calculated 21.5mpg in my current Jeep, while both of the others I have owned have gotten 23.5 - 25.5 depending on conditions. I'm having the front differential rebuilt, which I think will help the mileage a bit, but I suspect the injectors may be in need of some attention as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:59 am 
LOST Member

Anyone have a lead on a good front differential bearing rebuild kit? I shouldn't need the ring and pinion, but if only kits including them are available it will work. Seems like a lot of places who list bearing kits for the front are out of stock.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 am 

APC9199 wrote:
Anyone have a lead on a good front differential bearing rebuild kit? I shouldn't need the ring and pinion, but if only kits including them are available it will work. Seems like a lot of places who list bearing kits for the front are out of stock.

Randy's Ring & Pinion!
Anything you need for a differential! Good People! :wink:

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductD ... howAA=true

Yukon Master Overhaul kit for Dana "Super" 30 differential, Jeep Liberty front
YK D30-SUP-KJ

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:42 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
APC9199 wrote:

Randy's Ring & Pinion!

YK D30-SUP-KJ

Perfect! Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:47 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
APC9199 wrote:

Randy's Ring & Pinion!

YK D30-SUP-KJ

So...I received the kit from Randy’s and the first thing I noticed is the seals are significantly larger than the oem ones. There’s no way they’ll fit in the end of the differential. I already have replacement seals and “bearings” (aka: plastic junk) so it isn’t a big deal, but I’m worried that the other components might not be right. Is this just a case of the kit being intended for a full size Dana30? What gives?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:11 pm 
LOST Member

So, not sure why the seals were wrong, but the shop successfully rebuilt the front differential and I'll be d@mned if absolutely NOTHING changed. I still get an "out of balance" feel from about 45 thru 80 mph. I'm just going to drive the piece of crap until something explodes. I've spent enough on this stupid Jeep to buy a friggin' Tacoma, and would be problem free if I had in the first place.

My only guess at this point, since both drive shafts have been rebuilt and inspected on a lift for out-of-balance (at speed), is that the torque converter is out of balance somehow. There's really nothing left that I can think of to cause this otherwise. So tired...

:JEEPIN: :furious:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:38 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Are you using stock wheels?

Mine came with a set of Maxxis wheels in addition to the original ones. They are nice wheels, but eventually I tracked the slightly annoying wobbly-bouncy vibration I thought was either balancing or a defective tire, to, the center machining of the wheels.
The aftermarket ones are drilled for different bolt circles, and the center bore relieved to the biggest circle (Ford, I think) and allowed the wheels to snug up without being precisely concentric. It's barely noticeable below 70mph, but gets quite exiting above 90.
Rather than switch back to the stock wheels, a buddy came up with some O-rings that helped center things better when mounting the wheels. They still allow things to clamp up tight, and concentric enough that the problem went away.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Are you using stock wheels?

Mine came with a set of Maxxis wheels in addition to the original ones. They are nice wheels, but eventually I tracked the slightly annoying wobbly-bouncy vibration I thought was either balancing or a defective tire, to, the center machining of the wheels.
The aftermarket ones are drilled for different bolt circles, and the center bore relieved to the biggest circle (Ford, I think) and allowed the wheels to snug up without being precisely concentric. It's barely noticeable below 70mph, but gets quite exiting above 90.
Rather than switch back to the stock wheels, a buddy came up with some O-rings that helped center things better when mounting the wheels. They still allow things to clamp up tight, and concentric enough that the problem went away.

Stock wheels with freshly balanced tires. Rotating them doesn’t change the way the vibration acts.