It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Couple of cooling mods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:28 pm 
LOST Addict

In my never ending quest to cool this Jeep with an electric cooling fan, I made a couple of passive cooling mods. After I installed the new intercooler and removed the stock one, I realized there was a huge slot under the radiator that air could easily pass out of instead of passing through the A/C condenser/Radiator. I built a sheet metal cover to fill it in and try to force air through the radiator:

This is from underneath, the shield bolts to the two M6 sized holes in the bottom of the radiator core at the top and to the 4 bolts on the lower radiator support at the bottom. you can see I added a vertical tab to the side to tuck up next to the end tank to keep air from flowing out:

This picture shows looking in through the lower opening in the ARB bumper. You can see the shield at the bottom of the radiator core. All that would have been wide open without this shield so this should really help direct that air up to the bottom half of the radiator.

Last but not least, I decided to put a couple of sleeves on the ARB’s skid plate to lower it slightly and open up the opening in the bumper to try and squeak out some extra air flow.

Post subject: Re: Couple of cooling mods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:01 pm 
LOST Addict

I went the other route.
Trying to get the hot air out.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:23 pm 
LOST Addict

flash7210 wrote:
I went the other route.
Trying to get the hot air out.

I am with you there. I do think that getting the air out of the engine bay is an issue since the motor takes up basically the whole thing. It has to go pretty far in any direction to find a way out since the motor is sitting right there.

Increase pressure in front of the radiator and reduce it behind.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I did the same thing all the way around, only I was lazy and used foam pipe insulation appropriately sized, and glued it in with a few spots of urethane adhesive. It's lasted a year and still works great.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:11 pm 
LOST Member

I have an arb as well. I might look into doing some of that stuff this spring. I wonder about how much the arb reduces the cooling efficiency / capacity of our crds??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:17 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I did the same thing all the way around, only I was lazy and used foam pipe insulation appropriately sized, and glued it in with a few spots of urethane adhesive. It's lasted a year and still works great.

Yeah I did the same when I still had the OEM intercooler and had somewhere to wedge it. Now there is just a huge void where the intercooler was. The ac condenser fits between the end tanks of the rad so there is almost no clearance there.

ryanchris wrote:
I have an arb as well. I might look into doing some of that stuff this spring. I wonder about how much the arb reduces the cooling efficiency / capacity of our crds??

I bet a good amount. That air dam of a stock front bumper probably helped make some pressure in front of the Jeep and low pressure under the Jeep to help pull air out.

I know that Chevy straight up said that the towing capacity on the new Colorado ZR2 was dropped down to 5000 lbs(from ~7600 or so) because the high clearance bumper hurt the cooling system so much.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:
I bet a good amount. That air dam of a stock front bumper probably helped make some pressure in front of the Jeep and low pressure under the Jeep to help pull air out.

Doesn't for the gas KJ's,never noticed any temp difference before or after(been running a Edge gauges since before the ARB),but I also mounted Runcool vents of the hood not to long after the ARB,those alone dropped normal engine temps by 5 or so degrees.

Post subject: Couple of cooling mods
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:05 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Doesn't for the gas KJ's,never noticed any temp difference before or after(been running a Edge gauges since before the ARB),but I also mounted Runcool vents of the hood not to long after the ARB,those alone dropped normal engine temps by 5 or so degrees.

Can you link what you bought or throw a pic up? I’d like to do something clean looking.

Like I said I think one of the issues is getting the air out of the bay, so maybe the bumper doesn’t do much cause it’s all plugged up on the other side anyways.

My Jeep pretty much runs at the tstat temp until I start climbing something big, then it starts to creep up. 15 minutes of climbing I80 out of salt lake with the last 2 miles being 7%, and the needle will start to move in the summer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Can you link what you bought or throw a pic up? I’d like to do something clean looking.

Like I said I think one of the issues is getting the air out of the bay, so maybe the bumper doesn’t do much cause it’s all plugged up on the other side anyways.

My Jeep pretty much runs at the tstat temp until I start climbing something big, then it starts to creep up. 15 minutes of climbing I80 out of salt lake with the last 2 miles being 7%, and the needle will start to move in the summer.

hoodlouvers.com is the website,I used the medium sized ones and opted to use stainless button head bolts instead of the supplied rivits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:46 am 
LOST Member

If the hood was flat there would be so many more options for venting. If the renny holds weren't so much I might go that route but i just can't justify the dealer cost and I've never ran across one for a decent price local

I might vent mine too If it helps temps that much.. Let me know if you do and if it helps. Ones I like the most are the ones at the back. At least what I have seen...

I know its at concept but anyone know where to get ones like that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:43 am 
LOST Addict

Removing the ac condenser and stock e-fan that blocks about 1/3 of the front of the radiator made a huge difference on mine, so you would think that the ARB would affect it a lot. But the ARB isn't right up against the radiator, so I imagine the fan makes up most of the difference.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete