It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When the CRD dies...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm 
LOST Member

Just a first attempt to review replacement vehicles:

GM’s 2019 Silverado pickup: 3.0L V-6 diesel option among six powertrain choices
Ford’s 2018 F-150 pickup: 3.0L V-6 PowerStroke diesel option among six powertrain choices
Fiat Chrysler’s 2019 Ram 1500 pickup: 3.0L diesel option among five powertrain options
Chevy’s 2018 Equinox crossover: 1.6L turbo-diesel option among three powertrain choices
Chevy’s 2018 Cruze and Cruze Hatch compact sedans: 1.6L diesel option among three powertrain choices
Jeep’s 2019 Wrangler compact SUV: 3.0L V-6 EcoDiesel option among three powertrain choices
BMW’s 2018 540d sedan: diesel xDrive option among six powertrain choices
Kia Sorento crossover: diesel option coming soon

Post subject: Re: When the CRD dies...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:49 pm 
LOST Addict

rjmaype wrote:
Just a first attempt to review replacement vehicles:

GM’s 2019 Silverado pickup: 3.0L V-6 diesel option among six powertrain choices
Ford’s 2018 F-150 pickup: 3.0L V-6 PowerStroke diesel option among six powertrain choices

Fiat Chrysler’s 2019 Ram 1500 pickup: 3.0L diesel option among five powertrain options
Chevy’s 2018 Equinox crossover: 1.6L turbo-diesel option among three powertrain choices
Chevy’s 2018 Cruze and Cruze Hatch compact sedans: 1.6L diesel option among three powertrain choices
Jeep’s 2019 Wrangler compact SUV: 3.0L V-6 EcoDiesel option among three powertrain choices
BMW’s 2018 540d sedan: diesel xDrive option among six powertrain choices

Kia Sorento crossover: diesel option coming soon

My prediction is that those vehicles in bold will be eye-wateringly expensive and may only have the diesel in high trim levels. The F150 will def only be Lariat and above, so expect a minimum MSRP of $50,000 for a 4x4. Chevy loves to only put their premium engines in the higher trims so I would not even flinch if they did the same. Their 6.2L V8 is only in LTZ and up trims. Other than that you get the 5.3 with a 6 speed transmission. The jeep may only offer in high trims, but either way the diesel engine will be at a 5k option over the Pentastar and 2.0 turbo. If your gunna go all out and pick up a Rubicon Unlimited diesel I'll bet you are talking high 40's msrp and you wont get any deals.

Ram seems the be the only ones that have enough common sense to offer an engine that is supposed to be about economics in a cheaper/lower optioned vehicle but i have little faith that they will execute it well. The rest of them are clowns.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 am 
LOST Member

What about GMC/Chevy Colorado with 4cyl Duramax?

$4k option, approx $40,000 MSRP total

Approx 23 MPG ave

Sounds closer to Jeep CRD than the others.

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:03 pm 
LOST Addict

The colorado diesel is a nice little truck. Its about the same interior space as the Jeep, just longer. The driveline is much more refined than the Jeep which is likely due to the transmission tuning. Power wise it felt quite similar to my Hot tuned jeep. GDE does have a tune out for it now and it makes quite a bit more power than even a Stage 2 turbo kit for our liberty according to the dyno graphs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:47 pm 
LOST Member

The Colorado is the only one of the bunch that is even remotely on my radar. To be completely honest, if the CRD died today I would probably start looking for one of the pre-scandal diesel Touareg's. They are a huge jump in refinement and comfort, are fairly capable offroad and do have a few lift options and are starting to get to the price range that is affordable for guys like me that would NEVER buy a brand new vehicle...ever.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:58 pm 
LOST Member

APC9199 wrote:
The Colorado is the only one of the bunch that is even remotely on my radar. To be completely honest, if the CRD died today I would probably start looking for one of the pre-scandal diesel Touareg's. They are a huge jump in refinement and comfort, are fairly capable offroad and do have a few lift options and are starting to get to the price range that is affordable for guys like me that would NEVER buy a brand new vehicle...ever.

My son works at a VW dealer, fixing engines most of the time. From what he's told me and what I've seen, the upper level engines from VW/Audi/Porsche are WAY too complicated for my likes. Think multiple chain systems running DOC's, balance shafts, etc with tension adjusters, etc. Not something even your local garage wants to work on...

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:46 pm 
LOST Addict

APC9199 wrote:

Are you talking the V10 toureg? Those things are so sweet, but I have heard they like to annihilate transmissions.

It would be freighting to have to work on a dual overhead cam V10 diesel in such a small SUV.

Last edited by mass-hole on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:48 pm 
LOST Member

I've been looking at the Chevy Cruze diesels and pretty seriously considering a purchase of one with the 6-speed manual ... can't decide between the sedan and the hatchback. However, this would not be to replace my Jeep but as an additional car since the Jeep is getting less reliable. Would give me something to rely on so I can take my time sorting out the Jeep and continue to use the Jeep for rough weather, when I need to haul stuff or just because I enjoy it. So, the Cruze would be fine despite it's not being very big or having any offroad capability at all ... the manual and great mpg appeal to me and it's not a bad-looking car. It's also not very expensive.

If I had to full-out replace the Jeep, I'd probably wait and see what happens with the Wrangler and hope it ends up affordable. The Colorado diesel looks like a good option too. Couple to add to your list are the Jaguar F-Pace diesel and Land Rover diesel ... the latter is super out of my price range though and the Jaguar is in the mid-40s which is more than I can swing now either.

Edit: the GMC Terrain is also currently available with the 1.6L diesel

2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6L turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black - 150 miles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:48 pm 

BodhiBenz1987 wrote:
I've been looking at the Chevy Cruze diesels and pretty seriously considering a purchase of one with the 6-speed manual ... can't decide between the sedan and the hatchback. However, this would not be to replace my Jeep but as an additional car since the Jeep is getting less reliable. Would give me something to rely on so I can take my time sorting out the Jeep and continue to use the Jeep for rough weather, when I need to haul stuff or just because I enjoy it. So, the Cruze would be fine despite it's not being very big or having any offroad capability at all ... the manual and great mpg appeal to me and it's not a bad-looking car. It's also not very expensive.
If I had to full-out replace the Jeep, I'd probably wait and see what happens with the Wrangler and hope it ends up affordable. The Colorado diesel looks like a good option too. Couple to add to your list are the Jaguar F-Pace diesel and Land Rover diesel ... the latter is super out of my price range though and the Jaguar is in the mid-40s which is more than I can swing now either.

Their website says "Not available"! :roll:

http://www.gmc.com/suvs/terrain-small-suv
1.6L Turbo Diesel engine Not Available

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

WWDiesel wrote:
BodhiBenz1987 wrote:

Available in Canada. Saw some for sale last week.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

mass-hole wrote:
APC9199 wrote:

Are you talking the V10 toureg? Those things are so sweet, but I have heard they like to annihilate transmissions.

It would be freighting to have to work on a dual overhead cam V10 diesel in such a small SUV.
I am on a Touareg forum since I own a 2010 TDI. There is lots of info available on working on the different engines, both diesel and gasser. The Aussies don't blink an eye at yanking the motor out of the front end to work on one. They also have all the cool engines since their emissions standards are less strict.

I will say if you don't have a Ross Tech scan tool though, forget about working on a VW/Audi.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:32 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
APC9199 wrote:

This is SOP for dealers working on the engine...and some don't have the lift table so they don't work on them at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:05 pm 
LOST Member

WolverineFW wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
BodhiBenz1987 wrote:

Odd ... I see a few listed on Edmunds at various dealers in the US but it isn't an option on the Chevy site.

2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6L turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black - 150 miles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm 
LOST Addict

BodhiBenz1987 wrote:

Odd ... I see a few listed on Edmunds at various dealers in the US but it isn't an option on the Chevy site.

The 2018 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is not available at the moment. Not on the build and price on the ram website at least. A few people on Ram1500diesel say they have ordered them but I dont think anyone is actually driving one yet.

Supposedly the made hardware changes to the 2018 to make it EPA compliant instead of just the software changes like the 2017's.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

BodhiBenz1987 wrote:
WolverineFW wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:
[quote="BodhiBenz1987"]I've been looking at the Chevy Cruze diesels and pretty seriously considering a purchase of one with the 6-speed manual ... can't decide between the sedan and the hatchback. However, this would not be to replace my Jeep but as an additional car since the Jeep is getting less reliable. Would give me something to rely on so I can take my time sorting out the Jeep and continue to use the Jeep for rough weather, when I need to haul stuff or just because I enjoy it. So, the Cruze would be fine despite it's not being very big or having any offroad capability at all ... the manual and great mpg appeal to me and it's not a bad-looking car. It's also not very expensive.

Quote:
I should clarify I saw a few advertised on autotrader.ca. I did not actually physically see one.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Colorado would be a great choice. If you are more after the torque/fuel economy and not necessarily ruggedness, the one I've been watching for a while is the Mazda CX5 diesel. Supposedly here in a couple of months but I'm not holding my breath. The CRD is my wife's car, I'm just the mechanic, and I've been eyeing that as a replacement for her.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:13 pm 
LOST Member

I am torn between New wrangler and Colorado.

My only concern with the colorado is the 2.8l is only in the colorado so if Chevy walks away from it like Chrysler did with the crd I am back in the same boat I am in now (doing all the work and premium prices for parts)

I am think wrangler might be supported better long term since 3.0l is in ram and grand Cherokee too. That being said it also falls under the Chrysler quality umbrella...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:53 pm 
LOST Addict

What about an older wrangler with our current drivetrain (upgrade with new exhaust valves and the other necessary stuff) ? I'm thinking of building some.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:33 pm 
LOST Member

JDaPP wrote:
My only concern with the colorado is the 2.8l is only in the colorado so if Chevy walks away from it like Chrysler did with the crd I am back in the same boat I am in now (doing all the work and premium prices for parts)

I am think wrangler might be supported better long term since 3.0l is in ram and grand Cherokee too. That being said it also falls under the Chrysler quality umbrella...

I have the same concern with the 1.6 in the Cruze, even though it's also used in two other models. I wouldn't be surprised if they abandon the non-truck diesel experiment and then decide they want nothing to do with servicing them, like Chrysler did. Then again I'm sort of past looking at any new car and thinking it will be something I can rely on for 20 years, and who knows what the future of cars holds in general. But yeah, the Jeep has taught me the downside of having a unicorn. For some reason it still appeals to me. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
What about an older wrangler with our current drivetrain (upgrade with new exhaust valves and the other necessary stuff) ? I'm thinking of building some.

I would be interested to see the 2.8l Cummins crate diesel installed on a wrangler lj or jku