It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stage 2 CRD turbo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Many of you will recognize my project from the crd page on facebook, thought itd be time to update the rest of everyone else on here. This has been a project of mine for 2 years, and i have to give alot of credit to mass-hole for all the ideas, info, and data that he supplied.

In a nutshell this the factory crd reworked with new wheels and vanes. The new exhaust wheel will flow more air, while the 41.5mm intake wheel(factory is 39.5) will flow more and will be running in its highest efficiency island, reducing intake air temps. The new vanes not only channel the air more efficiently, but they also fully close allowing for exhaust braking for those of you who tow.

The first turbo is almost done now, ill build the second one and then testing will begin. Price will be somewhere between $800-$1,000 and will need a good core. Heres some pics:
Factory wheel on the left, new wheel on the right
Vanes closed
Vanes open

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

Post subject: Re: Stage 2 CRD turbo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Maybe even do a high idle with back pressure like the dmax for quicker warm up ;) Not sure if its possible, but maybe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm 
LOST Addict

REALLY, REALLY interested in this.... I hope you are successful in your endeavours, diesel_guy86!

Will a matching engine tune be developed for this? Perhaps in cooperation with GDE?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi jeff, i dont think a re-tune will be necessary, but would be recommended if you want to take full advantage of the turbo's potential. Ill be able to answer that better after testing.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:23 am 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Hi jeff, i dont think a re-tune will be necessary, but would be recommended if you want to take full advantage of the turbo's potential. Ill be able to answer that better after testing.

Understood. Personally, if I am going to pay for an upgraded turbo, I want to take maximum advantage of the increased efficiencies offered by the upgraded turbo with matching engine and transmission tunes.

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:04 pm 
LOST Member

VERY VERY COOL! ImVery Interested in how this turns out! i had a spare turbo that another member sold me, (SIGHT UNSEEN ON WORD TRUST) and it turned out to be junk.id be in the market for 1 as im building another engine from the crank out

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just some more clearancing and itll be ready for a good cleaning, paint, and balance.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

keep up good work DIESEL GUY , you will get that done right , looks good ,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

highironcrd wrote:
VERY VERY COOL! ImVery Interested in how this turns out! i had a spare turbo that another member sold me, (SIGHT UNSEEN ON WORD TRUST) and it turned out to be junk.id be in the market for 1 as im building another engine from the crank out

Sorry i didnt see your reply until just now, you replied as i was typing. It will be some time before they are out, cant give a timeline, it all depends on how they hold up. I expect them to hold up great, but that is what testing is for.

rankom wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement! I should note that these arent just for more hp. They should work great, actually better, as a stock replacement turbo.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm 
LOST Member

I'll be watching closely. I have a suspicion that my turbo MIGHT be starting to fail, but I'm not sure. I'm excited to see this coming to fruition!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:36 pm 
LOST Member

diesel_guy86 wrote:
highironcrd wrote:

Sorry i didnt see your reply until just now, you replied as i was typing. It will be some time before they are out, cant give a timeline, it all depends on how they hold up. I expect them to hold up great, but that is what testing is for.

rankom wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement! I should note that these arent just for more hp. They should work great, actually better, as a stock replacement turbo.

i am putting my Crd up on block as ive had some serious issues come about,.my timeline would adapt to yours as this is going to be at least until good warm weather before i start pulling the motor out,.i had the motor completely rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago unfortunatly last fall a ball joint burst, causing ALL kinds of havoc, i worked on it for 5 months now and the gremlin chase has done me in, the damaged caused by the burst of the ball joint has forced me to largely replace everything,., the shock caused myTC bolts to shear,,.i went as far as replacing the flywheel as well,.i was suspicious about the rear seal but my suspicions were confirmed , gotta go back in,....by the time im done (no hurry i just bought a car) maybe we can stick one of your turbos on :) i do use Jeffery Alan Bauer's Mod 001 T-stat so im definetly about anything better then oem :) good luck! keep us Updated!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:55 pm 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86:

Will this upgrade using the factory turbo housings have ball bearings instead of plain bearings?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

These will be regular plain bearings. The ball bearing turbo is still on the table, it just requires some serious coin to get it developed. Custom parts have to be produced and as you well know, have to be done in batches.

For right now, this is the most economical way to get a great crd turbo to the market.

-Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Not really an update, but thought that i should show what goes in my turbos besides just different wheels.

The top 4 components is the thrust washer assembly as they came from garrett.

The BOTTOM 4 pieces are what the stock components are being replaced with. Look at the size difference between them. The parts im using have much more bearing surface area.

Also some companies advertise that their superior turbos have 360° thrust washer whereas the stock one has 270°. THIS IS UNTRUE! The stock washer is 360°, below the pad it is open to allow oil to drain.

Garret also specs that any turbo that balances below a 1.00 is within spec, and gets shipped out the door. The first trip on the balancer my turbo measured .33. A quick adjustment and the balancer was unable to pick up an imbalance. This isnt knocking garrett, this the difference between mass produced and hand built.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:04 am 
LOST Addict

What rpm is your balancer running?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Currently its a low speed, both component and assembly, what rpm i couldnt say. He has a vsr balancer coming this spring. Im sure theres some advantages to balancing on the vsr, but i was told its geared more for ball bearing turbos that develop some harmonics from the balls that can often fool a low speed balancer. Please correct me if im wrong on that.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 am 
LOST Addict

I do not know much about the aftermarket balancers, but Garrett factory balances at different rpms. Here is an excerpt from the KJ turbo.

F - Vibrations
- External vibration (RMS value, on all engine frequency range), direction x/y/z
measured on oil exit flange : 150m /s² (15g) max and no resonance
- Balancing on specific Garrett rig:
the max G level due to residual unbalance of the rotating assembly has to be less than:
when new : 1.0 g till 1500 Hz ; 1.2 g between 1500 and 2100 Hz
when read again: ± 0.5 g compared to initial value
in exercise: ± 1.0 g compared to initial value

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 am 
LOST Junkie

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
I do not know much about the aftermarket balancers, but Garrett factory balances at different rpms. Here is an excerpt from the KJ turbo.

F - Vibrations
- External vibration (RMS value, on all engine frequency range), direction x/y/z
the max G level due to residual unbalance of the rotating assembly has to be less than:

The 1.00 gram lines up with what my balancer told me, which is nice to prove he is honest.

GDE, is there a benefit to using an electric actuator over the vacuum? Im sure its more accurate, but wondering the feasibility of electric actuator conversion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 am 
LOST Addict

Keep up the good work Diesel_ Guy 86

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:16 pm 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86 wrote:
GreenDieselEngineering wrote:

F - Vibrations

The 1.00 gram lines up with what my balancer told me, which is nice to prove he is honest.

GDE, is there a benefit to using an electric actuator over the vacuum? Im sure its more accurate, but wondering the feasibility of electric actuator conversion.

Just a quicker response verses vacuum actuation.