It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will not start, no intake vacuum, code P0340
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello:

Problem: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport will not start.

Current error codes: P0340 - Camshaft position sensor, P1261 - #1 Glow Plug low circuit, and P1265 - Glow Plug #3 low circuit.

Other symptom: With turbo hose disconnected at intake manifold, There is no intake vacuum when engine is cranked over.

History: Have 2006 Liberty CRD Limited with 73,000 miles. It runs great, no issues. Do all maintenance myself.

Bought this 2005 Liberty CRD Sport on craigslist cheap. Was not running, owner was moving. 253,000 miles. Owner said it was running great, then stalled and never started again. They had mechanic come out and do read error codes and said crankshaft position sensor was bad. They got outrageous repair quote from dealer, so decided to just sell it cheap.

I read error codes and got P0335 - Crankshaft Position Sensor(like they said), and also glow plug errors

Being familiar with cam/crank sensor issues, thought would be easy fix. Bought Jeep and towed it home.

The good: Battery 12.85V, strong cranking, no bad or unusual sound cranking. Overall Jeep engine and wiring is in good shape.
Bad: Does not start.

Troubleshooting done so far:

1. Replace Crankshaft sensor
Result - P0335 went away, new code P0340.
2. Okay, replaced Camshaft sensor and connector. Standard Motors model from Rockauto.
Result: No change.
3. Tested glow plug ohms at connector, verified #1 is bad with 85 ohms and #3 is bad with open circuit. Has Bosch 5V glow plugs. New plugs on order along with ERG elbow gasket kit.
4. Removed top 6 bolts from timing belt cover and marked camshaft pulleys and belt with bright nail polish. Belt looked good, not broken, not loose. Had friend crank over engine while I watched belt and camshaft pulleys
Result: Belt and camshaft pulleys seemed to turn okay turning starting.
5. Had read somewhere on-line hint about spraying WD-40 into intake manifold while cranking. Like using gasoline starter spay in gas engines, but will not blow up diesel engine like the other stuff would. If timing is correct, engine should momentary start. (Would like members advice on this hint) Had friend crank engine and tried spaying very small amount of WD-40 into intake manifold at turbo hose port.
Result: Nothing...That is when noticed that there was totally no intake vacuum pressure at port when cranking.
6. Had friend crank over a few more times while I held hand over intake port.
Result: No intake pressure. At end of 2nd try, the moment engine stopped cranking, there was slight buff of output pressure at port....that was it.

Have searched internet and Jeep forums for advice about having no vacuum pressure at intake manifold while cranking. Have not found anything. Could be using wrong words or wrong issue while searching.

Know ERG system is mixed in with intake air flow and ERG is a bad design that many people bypass or turn off with Green Diesel program. Plan to do that in future.

Would like members advice and suggestions on why there is no intake vacuum pressure.

Thank in advance :D

Post subject: Re: Will not start, no intake vacuum, code P0340
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:54 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
No vacuum at the intake means that valves are open when they should not be. There is quite a chain of possibilities starting with the timing belt. How far the damage goes from there isn't possible to know without exploratory surgery, but the fact that you are able to crank it over without catastrophic noises indicates it's not as bad as it could be.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 am 
LOST Addict

How are you determining that there is no intake vacuum?
Holding your hand over the inlet to see if it gets sucked in?

With that high of mileage, I suspect badly worn or broken rocker arms.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:23 am 
LOST Member

Set the timing mark on the crank at 90 after tdc or 3 o clock then pull the cam plugs, there is one behind the alternator and the other is under where the heater hoses bolts to the intake. Use an Allan wrenchto make sure the cam holes are in line with the holes on the intake. This will check the timing. Before we got my wife's jeep it got a new t belt at the dealer and the dumb booty that put the belt on over tightened it and over the next 30k it pulled the threads from the tensioner and loosened up when driving and similar symptoms.

Most of the jeeps I sell have the same timing cover as mine and my wife's with a threaded insert but the last one I did had a hex hole in the cover and a bolt set into it, does anyone know if it was customized or was it just early production, it was an 05

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:37 am 
LOST Addict

Last time I did my timing belt, when I tightened the tensioner the helicoil pulled out of the inner cover. I put in a new helicoil but instead of a bolt I used a stud.
This way the stud will remain threaded and not pull out.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:12 am 
LOST Addict

I had to do the same thing as Flash. Tensioner helicoil came out reinstalling timing belt and I put in new helicoil and stud and loctite . I could not believe it was a helical from the factory. After I repaired it I posted here and Flash was the one that confirmed it was that way from the factory. I thought a prior owner had stripped it and put the helical in and not used thread locker etc. It seems they could have threaded the tensioner into the block behind the rear timing bolt cover but Don't know block geography in this area.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 10:36 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for replies. Seems agreement is that likely timing belt slipped.

Flash: No intake vacuum was 1st noticed when mist of WD-40 did not get sucked into intake when cranking. 2nd try put closed fingers over port to feel for vacuum...nothing. 3rd try put palm over port to completely seal port and feel for vacuum...and nothing.

My66dodge: So I can check timing without taking front end apart and timing cover completely off? That is HUGE work saver. Do not remember that trick mentioned in service manual. Thanks for tip.

Former owner claimed to have done all scheduled service, including changing timing belt at 200,000 miles. Belt looks in good shape, possible the helicoil on tensioner was damaged during last belt change and tensioner loosened up, causing belt to slip.

Today will check timing the correct way.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:18 pm 
LOST Member

I have done so many timing and rocker jobs I don't use the crank hole to check it, I take the belt and fan off and take off the crank pulley, then rotate and pop the plugs and bam an answer in less than 5 min... I did 12 last year... When the bolt pulled on my wife's I did the rocker job from start to finish in under 5 hours including removing the egr cooler to do weeks kit 2. When I do the timing I rotate with it snugged and then re adjust the tensioner and tq to 20 as the manual says to avoid pulling the threaded insert.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is my 1st time taking off the radiator fan and found even my largest crescent wrench is too small for radiator nut. Going to see if can rent a radiator fan removal kit today.

my66dodge: Do you take off radiator shroud or leave it in place? I started by trying to take off shroud 1st and found out even with cut out on bottom of shroud it does not clear fan, so that was waste of time. Live and learn.

What is size of nut that holds on fan?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Okay....Got the fan and fan shroud out. Now harmonic balancer does not want to come off. See on videos should just be able to whack it with plastic or lead hammer after 4 10mm bolts are removed. Have hard plastic hammer. Not working.
Will use gear puller on it tomorrow. Also found good link on this forum for making your own timing belt locking pins. http://www.beesvillebeefarm.com/jeep.html
Found this timing lock kit on Amazon. Anybody tried out these kits? Am very suspicious. Looks like it could be cheap Chinese junk.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Diesel-Engi ... ay&sr=8-12

Overall not looking like timing belt and other service was done at 200,000. Bearing on serpentine belt are old, crunchy and need to be replace.

2006 has 73,000 miles, but timing belt is now around 14 years old...so it should be replaced soon. Doing this working on 2005 is good practice for when get to working on 2006. However, If timing is off and rockers are trashed on 2005...most likely I will sell Jeep whole or as parts. Doing a top end rebuild is more work than I want to do and no way can afford dealership rebuild.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 3:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Verdict is in.....the intake cam and crankshaft are out of time by around 90 degrees

Made my own alignment tools for crankshaft and intake cam.

With Crankshaft timing mark at 90 degrees off TDC , or 3 clock position and the flywheel locking pin in place. ....the intake camshaft locking hole is not alligned.

Crankshaft has to be turned to around 180 degrees off TDC before the intake camshaft intake locking hole aligns with the access hole.

So the timing belt was not changed at 200,000 and has slipped.

Bummer.

Side note: unbolting the alternator and moving it to right...was able to see inside access hole and look directly at camshaft by using a small hand mirror and flashlight. This allowed me to see locking hole/no locking hole on camshaft while rotating the crankshaft.
This just double verified what the DIY locking pins told me.

Too old and too many projects to do cylinder head replacement. Will be putting up 2005 for parts or salvage sale.

Thanks to those who contributed to this post. Your diagnosis of timing being off was correct.

Later

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Likely won’t need a new head.
Will definitely need new rockers.

Where are you located?

Never mind, I don’t need another project... (or do I??? :wink: )

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:30 pm 
LOST Addict

I am not totally clear about something. Does the exhaust cam pin go in with the crankshaft pinned but the intake cam doesn't ? Or, did you just check the intake cam pin ?

I ask because the pins will not go in on every revolution of the crankshaft . I believe if you didn't pin the exhaust cam then you haven't proven anything . Only if you could pin both the crank and exhaust cam but not the intake cam have you shown it is out of time. Maybe I am confused.

All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:32 pm 
LOST Addict

I would also like to know where you are located