It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Start after Engine Work
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Background:

2006 CRD, purchased last January with 125k miles. Dealer serviced to that point, verified by CarFax, fuel head updated, timing belt replaced at 96k per dealer records

Initial problem, now 150k miles:

Wife was driving on the highway and had a pound sound start instantly, slight reduction in power. When she called me, I could hear it over the phone, sounded like she was to 60 mph with a flat tire when she was sitting still. CEL light already on due to ORM. Gauges looked good, still had power, so I told her to see if it would drive. Noise increased with rpm, but she was able to get 60 mph without major problems. Drove it 10 miles home.

Diagnosis:

I got home, scanned it, found a misfire on #3 code. Started slightly hard, but loud internal popping sound. Pulled the driver's side intercooler hose, loud popping from the hose. Suspected collapsed lifter or broken rocker on exhaust side of #3. Pulled the intake and found 4 bad rocker arm roller bearings and one of the #3 rockers popped off and laying on the head. Checked the cams and found no variance between lobes, so ordered rocker set, timing set, Weeks 1 & 2 kits.

Reassembled with new components, bled fuel head, no start. Bled fuel head repeatedly, NO AIR to that point. Cracked the line to the fuel manifold, and I don't think I'm getting enough fuel into the fuel manifold.

*Cranks normally
*No air out of fuel head (hose into the bottom of a bottle of fuel, no bubbles)
*Timing marks checked x3 before reassembly
*P0093 code while cranking (plus 2 expected EGR codes)
*slight smell of burned fuel from exhaust but NO smoke
*Checked the #4 injector plug/fuel pressure regulator plug and they are correct
*CP3 plug is plugged in

Can I push fuel through the CP3 with the hand pump with key on? Is there something else I'm missing?

Post subject: Re: No Start after Engine Work
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:42 pm 
LOST Addict

No on the pump question. Did you see if all the valve stems were at the same height? Did you inspect the #3 injector tip? Do you still have #3 misfire? Rockers usually aren't that loud. Was there a loud knocking sound before you pulled intake hose? Any strange sounds when you turn it over?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Oh, first crack loose #1 injector line at the rail and crank until fuel comes out.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I’m confident the noise was #3 popping back through the intake because the exhaust valves were not opening/minimally opening. Cracked #3 injector line and popping reduced along with rpm during diag. No abnormal noises when cranking. Injector tips all ok. Did not measure valve height, but didn’t notice anything abnormal when springs were inspected.

What’s a reasonable crank time to get fuel from the rail?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:54 pm 
LOST Addict

nuthinbutmopar wrote:
I’m confident the noise was #3 popping back through the intake because the exhaust valves were not opening/minimally opening. Cracked #3 injector line and popping reduced along with rpm during diag. No abnormal noises when cranking. Injector tips all ok. Did not measure valve height, but didn’t notice anything abnormal when springs were inspected.

What’s a reasonable crank time to get fuel from the rail?

I usually get fuel on the rag in about two five second cranks. Then it should start within 2 or 3 8 second cranks. Resting 30 seconds or more between so you don't kill your starter.

The pressurized fuel from the rail can kill you, just in case...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have fuel from the rail, still no start. Now gained a P0103 code.

I can’t help thinking something is not plugged in correctly, but other than the deleted egr, I’m not getting codes to indicate anything. I’ve checked everything I can see, and it’s all correct. My cheap Bluetooth scanner says fuel rail pressure is 870kpa not cranking, jumps to 1530 when cranking. I know there’s a discussion on that somewhere, I’ll go looking for it...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:42 pm 
LOST Addict

The air temp plug likes to be almost connected and do that if you don't have GDE tune

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Air temp plug good, data shows correct temp. Figured out how to change units on live data, only getting a max of 220 psi fuel rail pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Gave it a quick breath of ether, fires right up, so I’m going back through the fuel system.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your ether post suggests that this may not be it but. IIRC there are 2 identical electrical plugs toward the back of the fuel rail. One goes to injector #4 and the other to something else on the rail. If reversed no start.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Your ether post suggests that this may not be it but. IIRC there are 2 identical electrical plugs toward the back of the fuel rail. One goes to injector #4 and the other to something else on the rail. If reversed no start.

Yes, injector #4 wire is factory labeled and on the injector.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

GOT IT!!!!

Lifted it up to chack wiring connections from underneath (2-post hoist is the BEST tool I ever bought) and found a puddle of diesel underneath.

I didn’t get #4 injector line tight.

Tightened it up, mde 1 pop and purred.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Congrats, I'm glad it wasn't a dropped valve!

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:07 pm 

Glad it turned out to be something simple! :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT