It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 150k Miles: time for the HeadGasket and parts?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:56 pm 
LOST Member

I've deep into the Head Gasket delve, and have removed everything down to the top of the Head. Now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the old Head Bolts (the torque to yield ones). Anything special for those tight suckers?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

Infinite_Karma wrote:
I've deep into the Head Gasket delve, and have removed everything down to the top of the Head. Now I'm trying to figure out how to remove the old Head Bolts (the torque to yield ones). Anything special for those tight suckers?

Longest 1/2 inch drive breaker bar you own, or can buy! and a good quality socket. (cheap is ok for probably one engine) but they better not be 'well used' going into this!! Exploded sockets aren't cool..

Kinda keep a mental note when you crack each one loose.. you may find some of them break loose quite easy.. I have just found an issue that may be extremely tied in with why mine had a row of bolts that took just a 'jab' to break them loose.. instead of the Full Monte..

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:20 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks rancherman,

I did in fact brake two different 11mm craftsman sockets in the process of trying to get them loose the first time. I opted to switch to my Impact Wrench with my impact sockets, for the accessible-with-impact-driver bolts. Those all came out easy enough. I used my biggest breaker bar with the impact socket for the other four harder to reach bolts.

Whew! All bolts unscrewed and pulled out. I got the head off clean and clear. I'll post pictures soon.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsN50MQOGA

Here is my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD (2.8l) start-up (after purging the air in the high pressure fuel lines) after the Head-Gasket R&R. I put in a new 2-hole head gasket, tested, cleaned, and milled the head (upgraded steel exhaust manifold studs), replaced the Head-bolts with ARP-Head-Studs, all new lifters / rockers, new valves and seats, all new gaskets, new timing belt, new idler pullies, new water pump, new glow plugs, new serpentine belt, and new Provent Filter.

After I put the hood back on, I test drove it and was so impressed at the torque responsiveness, the overall power, the improved fuel efficiency, and much smoother hum of that diesel.

This was my first time with type of engine work, and I had a lot of online help.
Thanks to all the amazing folks from lostjeeps and the Jeep Liberty CRD Facebook group. Thank you to everyone who created the YouTube Timing-belt R&R series.

Feel free to ask questions and post comments. I hope to put together my own comprehensive How-to R&R for the KJ CRD Head-Gasket process... Soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:20 am 
LOST Member

Congratulations! Sweet success huh? Did you do all that outside uncovered like in the video?

I'm fixing to dig into pulling my head, did you ever get around to doing a write up?

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:28 am 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
I can't watch the youtube video now, I'm in a location where download speed is slower than carrier pigeon.

It's been a while since you re-visited this thread:
Did you find any parts that were clearly or probably in dire need of replacement?

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:43 pm 
LOST Addict

One other thing to consider if you are delving this far is go ahead and replace crank sensor

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden