It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My CRD is intermittently dying
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Alright guys I need some help. I was out of town this weekend and my CRD started giving me troubles. I have 2005 that's stock. I was driving in town going around 30 and my RPM's just dropped off. Motor its no longer running.... and no check engine light. I stopped rolling and put it in park and tired to start it again... it just cranked and didn't fire at all. I tried priming and bleeding the fuel station, put in my OBDII reader to check fuel pressure (was reading fine even wile cranking) I even checked my all my fuses.... all fine. that was about 45 minutes of monkeying around with it.. it Starts! YAY! lets get back to the hotel. So we turn in to a parking lot to turn around and.... it died again.. same thing. primed pump, checked fuses, I even swapped a couple relayes.. no luck. but magically it started after a wile. We took back roads and make it back the hotel thankfully and ordered pizza. I went down that night and tried to start it and had no problems that night.

The next day we drove it around town and even made it back home.. 1.5 hours away, with no problem I stopped and starred around 7 times that day, and than it died again last night. same thing... couldn't get it to start no matter what it did, so we towed strapped it home and I took my backup vehicle into work this morning. I got how from work today and work on it. She fired right up on the first try! I have no idea what is going on. I need some ideas to look at or test things to try to figure out what is going on. She is also not over heating.

Post subject: Re: My CRD is intermittently dying
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like classic intermittent crank position sensor failure. See for example viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87383&p=918086&hilit=crank#p918086

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 pm 
LOST Member

I agree, replacing the crankshaft position sensor is the first thing I'd try.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I replaced my crank sensor 4 days ago. I haven’t had a problem yet. Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:27 pm 

If you need information on Crank Position Failures, see this thread; lots of information and posts on the subject:
5 pages of reading!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80849

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH