It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: If you're going to pull the motor...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm 
LOST Junkie

That is precisely what I have been wrestling with for most of 2017. :) Or is it :( ? My analysis paralysis is what's resulted in the CRD sitting all of last year.

Obviously when I (foolishly) did the RMS the xfer case and transmission came out, and I used that opportunity to replace the torque converter and fluid pump on the transmission at the same time, and I considered just doing that again. The reasoning for me not to do it again this way is twofold:

1. I don't have a lift, and pulling the xfer case and transmission from underneath is really rough. I'd prefer not to pay someone to do this work a second time - but I've been seriously considering it
2. I feel fairly strongly that lacking any service history that the head gasket and timing belt should be done, and it's just so much easier to do that work on a stand than crammed into the engine bay

I resolved that it's more efficient to pull the engine out for head gasket & timing belt & oil leak, than pull the xfer case and transmission out and THEN dismantle half the engine for head gasket & timing belt. If it was *just* the leak, I'd almost certainly leave the engine in place. Again. (I hate saying that)

I do know that pulling the engine is gonna be no fun at all, but the Jeep has been sitting for about 13 months and if it takes me another two months to do this work it doesn't matter... I can move really slowly. We're heading into spring here in NorCal and the weather will be really nice. Putting a few hours in per weekend for a couple months will get the job done stress-free. So, as awful as the job itself is, I can take it easy. I've read the FSM procedure probably a dozen times over the last year and am feeling pretty well prepared for the work mentally. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something & had all the right pieces before digging in. You know when you get into a good DIY groove having to put the brakes on to source a special tool or NLA part really, really sucks. ;)

Still, I'm motivated to get this done... I have a fun engine swap to do (Saab 2.3 turbo into an '88 XR4Ti) and I promised myself I wouldn't take anything apart until the Jeep was done. :) I *think* the hangup for me right now is exactly what I want to buy for the head. I'm really torn on whether or not to spend the extra an ARP hardware and whether or not to replace the valve train. It's a lot of money that I'd rather be spending on coilovers for the XR4Ti. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:01 pm 

Tough place to be, but I fully understand! :juggle:
It sure would help to know exactly where that oil is coming from in order to make the most prudent decision... :banghead:
Keep us posted! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I think he's already done that, although I don't know if he dropped the rear of the engine down to check the back of the head.
Here is is old post with his investigations, videos, etc. http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85755&p=903049#p903049

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yeah, I hate going in without knowing exactly what it is I'm doing - especially when it's this complex of a job. But I just can't think of anything else to look at without taking things apart... a lack of things to look at is what caused me to park the thing in the back 40 in 2016. :)

My Feb-Mar budget is start getting some of the parts & tools I need and I plan to start work on the CRD mid-March or so... you can rest assured I will have more questions and, I hope, some answers to post. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi thesameguy.....
I have had a similar mystery oil leak on my 05 since February and it is coming at the same bellhousing / transmission connection. When i loosened a couple of the lower bellhousing bolts and pulled the starter, i got a big shot glass worth of oil. I just assumed it was the rear main seal , at least till i did a search here....
I had the engine out before and was not looking forward to pulling it again, so I thought this time around we would drop the transmission, transfer case and drive shafts to change the rear main seal. You have me wondering if that is my best course of action....... Made any progress on yours ??

jba lift , 245/70/17. wifes ride want to keep it going as long as possible...