It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using 5V glow plugs on 7V programming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I threw a CEL error code on my glow plugs and figure I need to replace all of them. Car is at 177K and I believe they are the original 7V ones. Not bad right? I figure living in Hawaii, Caronlinas, and Monterey has prevented heavy duty cycles on the glow plugs.

My question is: has anybody run the 5V plugs on 7V without reprogramming? Both programs expose the plugs to 12V PWM and are exposed to 12V for short periods of time. The duty cycle for the 7V would obviously be a little higher. I would expect better cold starts and possibly a shorter life span on a $25 part.

ID parts states: "** PLEASE NOTE ** Based on customer feedback and our own testing with cold starts, we recommend the 5V plugs regardless of programming. Using 5V plugs with 7V programming will not cause a check engine light. Running 5V plugs at 7V may reduce life and will void the warranty, however, many owners have run the 5V plugs for many years so far without issue."

Given that claim, has anyone not changed their programming to 5V? I talked to Keith at GDE and he said that he can change the voltage from 7V to 5V. If you have gone with a 5V plug on 7V, can you let me know if you have any issues with your plugs, how long they lasted, and what type of winter you drive you car in.

Also, if you are in need of 3 good, original, glow plugs, I may have some availible after this is all said and done.

Post subject: Re: Using 5V glow plugs on 7V programming
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm 

Just get and install the 5v GP's and forget about programing changes.
Many have done this and so far no one has reported any problems in doing so.
What they have reported is much better cold weather starting ability with the 5v versus the 7v GP's.
Some have had their 5v GP's operating on the 7v programing going on two years or better now.

If you do a search on LOST, there is lots of reading concerning installing the 5v GP's on the 7v system. :wink:
But please do get those ceramics out of there, if one of them breaks off, it could get real ugly and very expensive! :grim:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I am one of the members who is using 5v steel Etecno1 glow plugs with original 7v factory programming and module.

When I bought this vehicle, it came with 3 original ceramic GPs and 1 Bosch 5v. All 4 still working fine. I do not know the mileage that the #4 cylinder original ceramic GP failed and was replaced by the Bosch 5V.

I concur with IDPart's note, and WWDiesel's assessment.

I assure you through my own experience, that you will experience more reliable starting, (vs 7v gps), the farther north you go.

I'm going on 1.5 years without failure, and without the need to crank multiple heat cycles before cranking.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

I swapped in 5V etecnos a few months ago, still on original 7v programming, so far so good.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
But please do get those ceramics out of there, if one of them breaks off, it could get real ugly and very expensive! :grim:

So I parked the jeep until I swap the glow plugs. They come in today. I guess it depends on how much interferance removal I have to do today...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently changed out 3 of my glow plugs with Bosch 5v (need to remove the intake elbow and do the 4th). My cold weather start performance had decreased and I am happy to report the 3 new 5v plugs have greatly improved my starting.

I was surprised to discover that the 3 removed plugs were Bosch 5 volt plugs as well. I bought this Jeep in Jan 2015 with a rebuilt engine. I think - but not certain - that I have 7v programming. I know that the previous owner had sourced a used engine from another Jeep to rebuild the engine in mine. I think he may have put the used 5 volt plugs in my engine to replace the ceramics. I have no way of knowing how old these 5v volt plugs are...but they have been in my engine since at least 2014 and I have ~50,000 miles on them. They came out of the engine in great shape - no codes and they ohmed out correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any tips for removing the EGR pipe from the intake elbow? Should I do this from the elbow or the block? The KJ manual is vague and I don't have a gasket for these areas.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

bronco9588 wrote:
Any tips for removing the EGR pipe from the intake elbow? Should I do this from the elbow or the block? The KJ manual is vague and I don't have a gasket for these areas.

You can remove the intake elbow/fcv piece and leave the egr pipe dangling on the block. I'm not sure if there ever was a factory gasket, mine had red rtv and when I put it back together I used the same. There are some good walk-throughs on this forum for doing the job, not hard but it is a pain at times. My arms got scratched up and covered in black soot. Not a lot of room to work, had to go about it from various angles and using a chair to stand on to get at every hidden bolt.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I just pulley the whole EGR pipe. No gaskets needed and used red RTV. Overall I was very impressed with all the caked on grease and oil. I purchased a GDE tune that should have blocked off the EGR. Figured over the years it would clear up - it was very wet oil and grease.

It is very tedious getting the intake elbow back on the head and I ended up stripping a bolt. Luckily it is the dipstick bolt and the most accessible. No pressure leaks. Any tips to recover here?

Also the glow plugs were 7V bosch. I am assuming these weren't standard? Do the other 3 good ones have value?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 pm 

NO electronic tune can fully and completely eliminate and guarantee no EGR soot getting back into the engine. (EGR valves can and do leak by and when they do, soot is pumped into the intake manifold and / or boost can be lost backwards through the EGR valve.
Only by adding a "Block Off Plate" or by installing the Weeks Elbow Kit which completely removes the entire EGR System, can you totally ensure no SOOT gets into the intake manifold or loss of boost backwards through the EGR system... :roll:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount