It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil leak from passenger CV - front diff seal?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Folks, I have an increasing leak from my passenger CV joint. I keep filling my front diff every weekend but as it warms up this leak is getting worse. I have a few questions for anyone who has done this:
I have searched a bunch of threads and got instructions for a regular Dana 30 but the front diff on my 06 liberty has this long extension to the passenger side.
Assume the seal is at the diff and not the end of this thing.

1) to replace the seals on the front diff do you have to drop the front axle or can you do in place?
2) what would you replace with seals. Seems both axle bearings and both seals would be ideal? would you also do pinion bearing and seal at rear? would you do wheel bearings? Im at 130K miles.
3) gotcha's for this job...getting it right the first time and learning from others.

Post subject: Re: Oil leak from passenger CV - front diff seal?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 pm 

nealio wrote:
Folks, I have an increasing leak from my passenger CV joint. I keep filling my front diff every weekend but as it warms up this leak is getting worse. I have a few questions for anyone who has done this:
I have searched a bunch of threads and got instructions for a regular Dana 30 but the front diff on my 06 liberty has this long extension to the passenger side.
Assume the seal is at the diff and not the end of this thing.

1) to replace the seals on the front diff do you have to drop the front axle or can you do in place? Can be done in place.
2) what would you replace with seals. Seems both axle bearings and both seals would be ideal? Yes!
would you also do pinion bearing and seals at rear? Quite an involved job on rear axle bearings and seals
would you do wheel bearings? Im at 130K miles. only if bearings feel loose, shows wear, or noisy.
3) gotcha's for this job...getting it right the first time and learning from others.

You have to remove both front CV axles if you want to R&R both front seals.
The passenger side seal is in the end of the long axle tube as pictured below. Item 21 on both sides:

As to the rear, both axles have to be removed to replace the axle seals and bearings and requires an inside slide hammer bearing puller to remove old bearings.
Replacing the pinion seals, front or rear requires having to replace the crush sleeve between the pinion bearings to set proper bearing preload on pinion bearings.
Some opt not to do this and retorque the pinion flange using the old crush sleeve. If you do this be sure and use plenty of loctite on the pinion nut threads. (not recommended)

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks WWDiesel. After I posted this i found this picture on mopar site. It seems different than the one you posted. With one you posted seems I might just replace seal on end of that passenger cv axle tube. In the one I found seems to be the way I thought where seal would be at the bottom of that tube.

Can anyone confirm which one definitively before I tear apart?

Also are mopar parts any different than NAPA for this job?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

nealio wrote:
Thanks WWDiesel. After I posted this i found this picture on mopar site. It seems different than the one you posted. With one you posted seems I might just replace seal on end of that passenger cv axle tube. In the one I found seems to be the way I thought where seal would be at the bottom of that tube.

Can anyone confirm which one definitively before I tear apart?

Also are mopar parts any different than NAPA for this job?

IFS diffs the seals are at the ends of the tube/diff just like a solid rear diff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey I just wanted to close this one off, replaced seal and bushing today. They are at the outer end of the tube. Seal was a royal pain to get out. Glad I had bushing as it took a beating. Was about an hour and half job on the hoist. removed front wheel, brakes, disconnected ball joints, removed yoke and pulled whole shaft out. R&R bushing and seal and reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:33 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Problem leak fixed?

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts