It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good Inexpensive Tablet for Torque Pro?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:21 pm 

flash7210 wrote:
Show me another scan tool that does that for under $100 and allows you to surf the internet, watch YouTube and play music :wink:

You know us diesel owners, we always want more! :lol:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:46 am 
LOST Member

Just got back from a 12 hour round trip trip in Dad's '05 KJ to visit his sister in SC. Jeep did great (no more temp spikes in the mountains with the new fan clutch).

He was asking about an oil pressure gauge. The install in Colorado4wheel looks kinda complicated just to get oil pressure. My brother said a coworker has a ScanGauge that reads that stuff through the OBD2. After some searching, other people talk about a TorquePro?

Searching Lost Jeeps, this thread is the closest I've found to discuss this, which by the way, might as well be written in Chinese to me...

So, was wondering if you guys know of one that reads from the OBD port with a display where he can monitor oil pressure plus what ever else it offers? Like the ScanGauge or UltraGauge IF it worked with the CRD KJ or maybe a better one?

Thanks,

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

My experience so far has been that the OBD2 on my 05 CRD is not stable enough to replace a gauge. It will randomly stop working, sometimes after 5 min, sometimes it works for over an hour. Usually a hard acceleration will kill it. Only stopping, shutting everything off and restarting will get it working again. That said, if he just wants to check it once and a while it's a very cheap solution.

You can get a Bluetooth adapter for $12, and Torque is an app on your phone/tablet (Android, not sure if torque is on iOS). Torque Lite is free and Pro is like $5. Plus it reads codes and a bunch of other stuff that could come in handy. There's also a free "TorqueScan" plugin that shows a lot of data. I'll double check that it actually reads oil pressure and update this later.

My setup is a OBDLink MX with Torque Pro on my Samsung S7 in a phone mount. The LX should work fine (the MX and MX+ just have extra GM & Ford stuff), and the $12 elm327 clones should too. I tried a clone and it didn't work on any car I hooked it to, but it was probably just a lemon. I'll use this setup if I'm testing something, but I don't use it that often because it will just stop getting data after a while.

Note: iOS is a different setup, if you need to use it you can, but it will require different stuff.

EDIT: I checked and Torque has no oil pressure option on my 05 CRD.

Last edited by foxmiles on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:05 pm 

krb wrote:
Just got back from a 12 hour round trip trip in Dad's '05 KJ to visit his sister in SC. Jeep did great (no more temp spikes in the mountains with the new fan clutch).
He was asking about an oil pressure gauge. The install in Colorado4wheel looks kinda complicated just to get oil pressure. My brother said a coworker has a ScanGauge that reads that stuff through the OBD2. After some searching, other people talk about a TorquePro?
Searching Lost Jeeps, this thread is the closest I've found to discuss this, which by the way, might as well be written in Chinese to me...
So, was wondering if you guys know of one that reads from the OBD port with a display where he can monitor oil pressure plus what ever else it offers? Like the ScanGauge or UltraGauge IF it worked with the CRD KJ or maybe a better one?
Thanks,

OBD2 cannot read what it does not have supplied to it. I do not believe there is a oil pressure transducer on the engine of a Jeep Liberty CRD.
There is only a simple oil pressure switch that will warn of low oil pressure at the outlet of the oil filter.
It will illuminate the Oil Pressure symbol on the Instrument Cluster and the "Chime" will sound if oil pressure drops low enough to trigger the switch.
Only by adding a gauge, either mechanical, (requires adding a sensing tube from engine to gauge) or electrical, (requires adding a pressure transducer on engine and a wire to the gauge)

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:54 am 
LOST Member

Thanks fellas, that's what I needed to know.

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:36 am 
LOST Newbie

krb wrote:

Thanks,

Have a ScanGauge2 in our 2014 Cruze Diesel mainly to monitor DPF regens. Stays plugged in 24/7, been on road trips for 12 hrs and no glitches. Have not tried hooking it up to the CRD yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:57 am 
LOST Junkie

Won't work. The CRD's Frankensteined OBD system will cause in to freeze after a few minutes. Tried many times in the past.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:42 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
OBD2 cannot read what it does not have supplied to it. I do not believe there is a oil pressure transducer on the engine of a Jeep Liberty CRD.
There is only a simple oil pressure switch that will warn of low oil pressure at the outlet of the oil filter.
It will illuminate the Oil Pressure symbol on the Instrument Cluster and the "Chime" will sound if oil pressure drops low enough to trigger the switch.
Only by adding a gauge, either mechanical, (requires adding a sensing tube from engine to gauge) or electrical, (requires adding a pressure transducer on engine and a wire to the gauge)

The oil pressure sender IS a transducer, you can read the oil pressure value on the databus. The cluster reads the oil pressure and then generates a warning chime and light based on setpoints in the cluster microprocessor.

If the transducer fails, or there is a wiring problem, a second aftermarket oil pressure gauge would indicate the problem to be real or not.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
WWDiesel wrote:

The oil pressure sender IS a transducer, you can read the oil pressure value on the databus. The cluster reads the oil pressure and then generates a warning chime and light based on setpoints in the cluster microprocessor.

If the transducer fails, or there is a wiring problem, a second aftermarket oil pressure gauge would indicate the problem to be real or not.

Still, all it does is turn on/off a idiot light.
It doesn’t provide any useful information.

Yes, an aftermarket oil pressure gauge is required.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:19 pm 

Sir Sam wrote:

Sam, you may be right as you know a whole lot more about the electronics on these vehicles than I do.
But that oil pressure sensor is very small to be a pressure transducer. Every one I have ever changed that had a gauge had a much bigger sensor to sense pressure.
They even call it a Oil Pressure "Switch". To me that indicates open or closed contacts.
But anything is possible on these vehicles! :banghead:

Jeep CRD Oil Pressure Switch:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

In the wiring diagram it's called an oil pressure sensor, and is supplied with 5V reference and ground, and returns an analog signal to the FCM (in 2005) so it sounds like a sensor to me, not just a switch.

Just to stay on topic, I use an old Nexus 7 tablet for torque pro via bluetooth adapter, but yes it freezes after about 20 minutes, and oil pressure is not one of the variables that is visible there. :(

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:08 pm 
LOST Member

I didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject, so I thought I would ask it on this thread.

Has anyone found anything like a scangauge that will hook up to the obd port? Just wondering if there are any new options that don't shut off????

I really want a digital temp and tach.... My CRD is swapped into something else.

Suncoast torque converter
Sasquatch turbo
Cummins lift pump
HDS 001 stat housing w/190 thermostat
Trans temp, egt, ultra gauge gauges
email 84landcruiser(at)gmail(dot)com