It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which thermostat for my '05 CRD?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

I need to replace the thermostat on my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport. The local AutoZone wants over $300 for one but I've found them on line for as cheap as $33. Middle of the road seems to be around $50-$70 which is fine with me but which one do I get? I'm also not seeing gaskets so will I have to make my own? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Which thermostat for my '05 CRD?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

5142601AA Thermostat Housing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049ED758/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FTHJAbDS4JMZB
You will find the gasket listed in there too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Flash. I was leaning towards buying the thermostat by Crown but then read the reviews on Amazon and it sounds like people are having problems with it. Guess I'll have to spend the big(ger) bucks and get the Mopar part.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:07 pm 
LOST Member

Avoid ANYTHING with the crown name on it. It is all the worst quality chinese garbage. I know it hurts the wallet, but it pays in the long run to buy MOPAR or equivalent quality parts. They last longer and in many cases can prevent other problems which will cost even more than you saved by buying cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 pm 

These are the OEM Mopar part numbers!
Thermostat - 5142601AA
Thermostat gasket - 5066806AA

Google and find the best prices online. Just be sure it is a genuine Mopar part and not some chinese made junk knockoff... :google:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:00 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks! Ordered!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 am 
LOST Addict

bigkahuna wrote:
Thanks! Ordered!

UNORDER... The Crown products are the absolute worst, but the O.E. units are not very good either. You will be replacing the entire O.E. unit in about 50,000 miles. So, essentially, you will have to re-visit this issue not so far down the road. They also have a thermostat valve in them that is set too low for optimum performance, fuel economy and reliability for any modern engine, but especially a diesel engine.

The EPA requires ridiculous NOx standards for diesel vehicles here in North America. To meet that standard, manufacturers most often do the simplest, cheapest thing they can get away with, and in the case of the Liberty CRD and the Duramax 2.8L that is to lower the engine operating temperatures. The Factory Service Manual states that the opening temperature of the CRD engine thermostat valve is 176 degrees. Ask ANY diesel engine technician if he or she thinks that is an ideal temperature. With the O.E. thermostat, the Liberty CRD meets NOx standards of the time it was manufactured, but at the expense of reduced performance, lower fuel economy, (especially in cold weather), and engines that are not hot enough to burn off the pollutants being accumulated in them from the other terrible pollution control devices.

The same thermostat assembly for the R428 engine in any other market around the world has a valve in it that is about 20 degrees Fahrenheit higher; this is still not ideal, but at least those engines do not have to comply with EPA standards.

Last edited by TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:20 am 
LOST Newbie

I have his upgraded thermostat housing and definitely worth the money. I have plenty of heat during these colder months.

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
bigkahuna wrote:
Thanks! Ordered!

UNORDER... The Crown products are the absolute worst, but the O.E. units are not very good either. You will be replacing the entire O.E. unit in about 50,000 miles. So, essentially, you will have to re-visit this issue not so far down the road. They also have a thermostat valve in them that is set too low for optimum performance, fuel economy and reliability for any modern engine, but especially a diesel engine.

The EPA requires ridiculous NOx standards for diesel vehicles here in North America. To meet that standard, manufacturers most often do the simplest, cheapest thing they can get away with, and in the case of the Liberty CRD and the Duramax 2.8L that is to lower the engine operating temperatures. The Factory Service Manual states that the opening temperature of the CRD engine thermostat valve is 176 degrees. Ask ANY diesel engine technician if he or she thinks that is an ideal temperature. With the O.E. thermostat, the Liberty CRD meets NOx standards of the time it was manufactured, but at the expense of reduced performance, lower fuel economy, (especially in cold weather), and engines that are not hot enough to burn off the pollutants being accumulated in them from the other terrible pollution control devices.

The same thermostat assembly for the R428 engine in any other market around the world has a valve in it that is about 20 degrees Fahrenheit higher; this is still not ideal, but at least those engines do not have to comply with EPA standards.

M416 Trailer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

X2 on the TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK tstat, order it and install it once, and have plenty of heat and a diesel engine operating at proper temperature.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

flman wrote:
X2 on the TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK tstat, order it and install it once, and have plenty of heat and a diesel engine operating at proper temperature.

x3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:26 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
flman wrote:

x3

X4 & X5, I have two of them. One is pushing 120000km in service.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If that is the case, make it X6, for the CRD that I sold with the HDS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ditto 7 and 8

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:26 pm 
LOST Member

x9 = HDS Model Thermostat Unit is by far the best.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:16 pm 
LOST Member

I see people say the HDS unit it more expensive, but how much more? Seems my OE has crapped out at 135,000 miles so I need to replace it. I never had problems with the original up until now so I was just going to get another one from the dealer, but would consider the upgrade depending on what kind of cost we're talking about.

2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6L turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black - 150 miles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow if you got 12+ years and 135,000 miles out of the CRD's OEM tstat it was a flipping miracle. The 6 or so OEM failures (open/opening too early; either way engine runs cold) have all been under 50,000 miles. Of course failed open or opening too soon doesn't mean you cannot run infidelity if you don't mind an mpg penalty; poor cabin heat; etc.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:27 pm 

Infinite_Karma wrote:
x9 = HDS Model Thermostat Unit is by far the best.

I'll make it an even 10 on the recommendations to go with the HDS thermostat.

- Heat starts flowing from the vents in 0°F weather within 5 or 6 minutes of starting
- If a thermostat element fails in the future, it can be replaced with an off-the-shelf unit for $10 or so
- Being able to replace the thermostat element means you can change operating temperature depending on requirements
- The HDS housing is pre-tapped for adding an external temperature sensor for electric fans, etc.

Seriously recommended. This is what they should have done from the factory.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:17 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
Wow if you got 12+ years and 135,000 miles out of the CRD's OEM tstat it was a flipping miracle. The 6 or so OEM failures (open/opening too early; either way engine runs cold) have all been under 50,000 miles. Of course failed open or opening too soon doesn't mean you cannot run infidelity if you don't mind an mpg penalty; poor cabin heat; etc.

Well, to be honest it probably went a while ago and I just didn't notice in warmer months. I do remember a couple really cold days at the end of last winter where it never seemed to warm up. So I can't say for certain when it failed, just that only the last month or so have I noticed a consistent low temp and lack of heat. Either way it was at least somewhat recent. Though I should actually check my records before I say for sure it hasn't been done before .... possible the dealer did it at some point and I just don't remember ... like if it was done at the same time as something else.

I don't have a day-to-day commute so harder to notice changes in mpg, but I haven't noticed any shocking drop. I can live with the cabin heat, especially since it's not below freezing out now. But I figured it wouldn't be very good for the engine to run under temp for a long time so I didn't want to ignore it too long. If that's not the case maybe I will put it off a little and invest in the upgrade.

2018 Chevy Cruze 1.6L turbodiesel, 6-speed manual, Satin Steel Metallic on Kalahari/Jet Black - 150 miles

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
papaindigo wrote:

Agree on the mileage. 50k is about what can be reliably figured as average from what I've learned. There may be some here and there that can last double, and about the same amount that go bad within 2k

Don't go cheap unless you plan on flipping the vehicle within a year or 2. If it's a secondary vehicle or recreational use only, I might lean towards OEM. (chinese junk only if you're dumping the vehicle immediately, IMO).

If you plan on keeping and using it, the HDS housing makes sense to me. The way I figure, the cost comparison breaks even at the third OEM 'stat, and for me that's about 4ish years. After that it's money saved.
THAT is only figuring cost vs mileage. There are likely other small intangible values, such as mileage gains, and engine longevity from proper operating temperature control, but that wasn't figured in.

Also, with any OEM type, proper changes tend to be delayed or avoided because it's a PITA to do your self, and quite expensive to have someone else do. With the HDS, proper changes are easy for anybody, in their driveway, with simple hand tools. 15-30 minutes, depending on how hot it is, and how many beer breaks are taken.

The only gamble, really, is whether or not the Jeep and I make it that long, and I don't figure on giving up early.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:23 am 
LOST Addict

"Also, with any OEM type, proper changes tend to be delayed or avoided because it's a PITA to do your self, and quite expensive to have someone else do. With the HDS, proper changes are easy for anybody, in their driveway, with simple hand tools. 15-30 minutes, depending on how hot it is, and how many beer breaks are taken."

The following is a direct quote from my installation instructions for the Model 001...

"THIS INSTALLATION IS A RATHER STRAIGHTFORWARD AFFAIR; GIVE YOURSELF ABOUT 3 HOURS TO DO THIS BY YOURSELF, OR ABOUT 2 HOURS WITH A BUDDY HELPING YOU. ADD A FEW BEERS AND CONVERSATION, AND THEN THE INSTALLATION WILL TAKE ALL DAY…L.O.L!"

So, yes GordnadoCRD: I agree with you. :mrgreen:

In fact, your input is one of the most accurate from a non-customer I have read to date; although I would disagree that mileage gains and increased engine longevity are "small intangible values".