It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lingering MAF code (New guy)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi folks,

I purchased my 2005 Liberty CRD Sport 4x4 one year ago this month. Since then, I have been reading through these forums to solve pretty much every problem I've come across. I purchased it with a P0101 MAF CEL along with several other repairs too extensive to mention here which I have all repaired. I'm still running the stock EGR / CCV (although a lots been cleaned), I'd like to get this CEL taken care of before getting a GDE tune.

Although we've solved most of the issues, the MAF CEL P0101 has lingered. So far I have,

1. Removed and cleaned the MAF sensor (although it looks brand new)
    2. Replaced the air filter

I've also visually inspected the air intake hose for the turbo (although I haven't pulled it off). From above, it looks great. Remaining, I suppose I need to pull off the air intake hose, and then test the voltage on the MAF sensor next? Any other tips or suggestions? I really appreciate the help!!

Post subject: Re: Lingering MAF code (New guy)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:30 pm 
LOST Member

The GDE tune will take care of the CEL , the mass air flow on this vehicule is only use to calculate the amount of exaust gas that can be recirculate in the engine ( EGR). You don't need it !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You cannot tell anything from above on the airbox to turbo hose as the normal failure is a tear on the bottom just in front of where it connects to the turbo. You can probably check it on a lift otherwise you have to remove it.

FYI I have a new one I can part with if need be.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:47 am 
LOST Addict

The MAF doesn’t really do much.
You could unplug it, live with the code, and never notice a change in performance.

Maybe you can get your MAF tested at the auto parts store.
Or just get a new one.
But if replacing the MAF doesn’t fix it, you have a wiring problem somewhere.
A GDE tune can remove the code.

Edit:
This could also be an indication of worn rocker arms. But there would be other symptoms such as low power and black exhaust smoke.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, everyone. I do want to try to eliminate the possibilities of other problems first (before GDE) in case there is a larger problem.

Quote:
You cannot tell anything from above on the airbox to turbo hose as the normal failure is a tear on the bottom just in front of where it connects to the turbo. You can probably check it on a lift otherwise you have to remove it.

FYI I have a new one I can part with if need be.

I'll be checking the hose today and if I need one, will PM you. Thank you!

Quote:
Edit:
This could also be an indication of worn rocker arms. But there would be other symptoms such as low power and black exhaust smoke.

The possibility of worn rocker arms does concern me, because I'm seeing a fair deal of black smoke and sometimes some turbo lag. From what I have seen, the PO was not kind to this CRD. Is there any simple way to check before tearing everything apart?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi gents,

So just pulled everything apart, and inspected the air intake hose - everything looks fine (pictures below). It gives me peace of mind to know that it's good - thanks papaindigo for the tip. I'm cleaning out the oil residue, than going to put everything together. While I was at it, I checked the intercooler hose - it is squishy (OEM) but no visible splits or cracks (I eventually plan to get silicone turbo hoses). I'm going to clean the oil off the hoses, and then put it back together.

Do you think I should check anything else before getting the GDE tune? (I've read SAM's guide). Also, is there any guide explaining rocker arm failure / worn rocker arms in more detail (I thought this only happened with bad timing / belts)? I want to do what I can to prevent that possibility. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:44 am 

If you want to stop oil from going into the turbo intake hose and rotting it and the inlet boost hose to the CAC, add a ProVent filter between the intake hose and the CCV puck on top of the engine. :mrgreen:
Lots of posts and information on LOST about adding a ProVent filter to a Jeep CRD, just do a search.

This one covers it pretty good:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491

IDParts and others sale them for the Jeep CRD.
https://www.idparts.com/mann-provent-200-p-2334.html

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, WWDiesel! I guess the added benefit of the ProVent (vs. EHM, which I have now) is the extra air circulation from the CCV?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:44 am 

franklinjeep wrote:
Thanks, WWDiesel! I guess the added benefit of the ProVent (vs. EHM, which I have now) is the extra air circulation from the CCV?

Get rid of the EHM, it has been learned that it can cause problems for some like a leaking rear main oil seal. :shock:

The vacuum pump discharges into the internals of the crankcase on this engine which combined with piston blowby can add a lot of extra flow to the the CCV system.
This engine was designed and requires the added suction or vacuum from the turbo intake hose to make sure the engine internally does not go under pressure.

If you read this thread, which is kinda long, but it does go into a lot of detail as to the whys:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80491

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
franklinjeep wrote:
Also, is there any guide explaining rocker arm failure / worn rocker arms in more detail (I thought this only happened with bad timing / belts)? I want to do what I can to prevent that possibility. Thank you.

Incorrect motor oil, poor oil change schedule, coolant contamination, EGR carbon contamination, etc., can all cause the rollers to rapidly wear and fail without "advance notice". Both the roller as well as the spindle around which the roller turns abrade away due to factors such as the ones listed. There really isn't a proper foolproof way to determine their condition, save from pulling the valve cover / cam housing and physically checking. This also applies to the hydraulic valve adjusters (tappets).

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set