It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steering Wheel Upgrade v2:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Version 2:

Wheel from a 2011-2012 KK (also from WK2, JK, etc).

Test fitment on the wheel looks good, splines and all work correct, clearance to the clock spring is good. Wheel fits like its meant to be there.

KK airbag works the same as the KJ airbag, dual inflator. And since the KK is the same vehicle with a different skin the airbag is basically a newer skin on our same airbag system. One thing of note on the airbag is that that the inflators #1 and #2 are swapped on the latest KK airbag, these need to be swapped on the wiring to hookup correct on the newer KK airbag.

Now the hard part, the switches for the cruise and radio are all messed up. I might be able to install KJ radio switches but the KK cruise switches need work. Right now two of the cruise switches raise and lower the volume.

What I need to do next is work on the switches and change out some resistors to get the radio and cruise functions back to what they need to be. This will likely be the hardest part.

Had to notch out the harness plug to fit the KJ clockpring, otherwise the wire harness plug is the same.

Will update when I figure out more on the switches.

Going for this look:

Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Upgrade v2:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Is it just the wire positions (all one side vs split), or resistor contact values too? (cruise)

KJ button units are completely different layout, but what about the circuit boards inside? (most likely different but wouldn't hurt to make sure.)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:28 am 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Is it just the wire positions (all one side vs split), or resistor contact values too? (cruise)

KJ button units are completely different layout, but what about the circuit boards inside? (most likely different but wouldn't hurt to make sure.)

Not sure the exact difference yet, I need to explore the harness and measure the resistance values, and do a quick continuity check.

As is right now it seems like maybe the cruise and radio circuits are swapped, but I also need to just measure the resistances and compare them to the KJ. I'm planning to have to do a little work to add correct resistors. You can see the very small resistors on the back of the buttons, and you can see the color codes. I don't know how hard it is to add them to the KK wheel, but thats the next hurdle to overcome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 pm 
LOST Addict

I like when I watch you implementing your ideas, what's next, a tesla dashboard in the kj? Electric motor? Lol

Do you have the KK interior? I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to swap the whole dashboard..

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:56 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
I like when I watch you implementing your ideas, what's next, a tesla dashboard in the kj? Electric motor? Lol

Do you have the KK interior? I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to swap the whole dashboard..

Tesla dashboard? NO.

I hate touchscreen interfaces in modern cars, some are OK with limited uses, but I like tactile controls, knobs and switches.

I can feel for something with my hand, but I have to look and use my eye and finger at the same time which distracts me from the road with a touchscreen.

I don't know how different the KK sheet metal is where the dash mounts, the windshield curve is fairly different so I don't know if it would be possible to mount a KK dash in a KJ.

Personally I think I would rather just swap my engine into a 2012 KK and drive that. I like the KK body much better than the KJ.