It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake line rubbed thru by upper rad hose...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:13 pm 
LOST Member

Picked up a 2006 CRD to replace the '99 TJ that the SO lost to black ice in Jan., had it 2 months now.

She was out yesterday & the brakes started acting funny (loss or pressure/pedal heading to the floor) so it was towed home. After getting it on the roll back a leak in the hard line was found on the driver's side. After removing the battery box to get a better look I noticed the upper rad. hose had been rubbing the line where I located the pinhole leak that was causing the loss of brake fluid/pressure.

Sooo.... has anyone dealt with this before ?? It has a pinhole leak right in the bend where in routes under the upper radiator hose. Looks to me as if the radiator hose jacket has, over time, rubbed thru the line resulting in the leak. The affected hard line is the one that wraps around the front of the Jeep and feeds the passenger's side brake caliper. Just wondering if this is a common issue or if there was a way to fix it without trying to snake a new line thru there, as it appears I'd have to take apart most of everything bolted to the sides of the engine compartment...part# for the brake line is 52128934AD.

I tried a google search as well as a site search and didn't come up with anything. Thanks in advance.

ETA: Did find this after a bit more intensive search... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=82846&hilit=replacing+front+brake+line. Drewd's problem sounds like EXACTLY what I'm looking at. any idea on the difficulty of replacing that brake line ??

Post subject: Re: Brake line rubbed thru by upper rad hose...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

when i got my jeep in 2013 i see that previous owner replaced brake line LS CAC hose area , he cut the brake line and installed 2 brass unions with small piece of new rake line in c shape connected with original brake line , part number on brass union is 3059 or 3/16 (m10x1.0) but i did replaced brake line when i did top end rebuild

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:16 pm 
LOST Member

rankom wrote:
when i got my jeep in 2013 i see that previous owner replaced brake line LS CAC hose area , he cut the brake line and installed 2 brass unions with small piece of new rake line in c shape connected with original brake line , part number on brass union is 3059 or 3/16 (m10x1.0) but i did replaced brake line when i did top end rebuild

How difficult would you rate the install of the new brake line ?? I'm mainly concerned with how far I'll have to disassemble the Jeep to get the new pre-bent factory brake line installed. Right now I have the battery box removed in order to identify which line was leaking, turns out it's the one that goes thru the core support & along the front behind the grill before heading back thru the core support to reach the block on the passenger side that goes to that wheel's brake caliper.

I was looking into the compression fittings for a simple, easier repair but had turned up numerous warnings about using those on brake lines since it was said that without the flare on each connected end the line could separate from the connector under braking pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

well for me was easy to replace this brake line because all front end was open so lot of room , sorry i cant post pictures , but this guy did perfect job with this jumper tube and brass fitting mentioned earlier, so i wish i can find this guy , it looked perfectly done . so to me it was safe and it did work. for you to replace that line you need to remove radiator and CAC i think you should do that quick repair

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

Weather cooperated enough for me to get the brake line out today. For those that this might happen to in the future, it can be snake out of the engine compartment without removing the radiator & intercooler. I managed to get it out by disconnecting the line just to the front of the front PS brake line to let the front PS bake line pass underneath it. After disconnecting the front PS brake line from the block at the PS wheel well & releasing the line from it's retaining clips I was able to slide it forward slightly. The line is flexible enough so that if the watch the bends as you're removing it there shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just keep in mind the rearmost bend in that front PS brake line will have to be flexed away from the frame from under the jeep to allow enough room to allow the line to get around the obstacles as you snake it out.

Stuff that did have to be removed...
grill
front bumper assembly
header panel with lights
top of core support with hood latch
battery box
air box
power steering hose retainer (passenger & driver side)

If you want to buy yourself some more working room you could remove the fuel filter by the HCM, but the line does have enough space there to squeak past, but just barely. It gets to be of a challenge getting it past the steering knuckle assembly, though it can be done...

pic of the spot that was rubbed thru by the hose...