It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: out on trip, coolant leaking passenger side, need advice
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

2006 crd, 102,000 miles, just did timing belt, water pump, thermostat about 2000 miles ago including upper and lower radiator hoses. Water pump was graf front half. Got a low coolant warning driving across south georgia. Added a .5 liter bottle of water, thought it was burping bubbles from having the system drained for pump change.

Got to hotel tonight, got low coolant message again. Have coolant dripping off passenger side below thermostat level. Letting it cool down before investigating further, never ran hot, just the message. I can see it dripping off the heat shield bottom above the motor mount, looks like its landing on the mount and the cross support.

I know where the water pump is obviously and the thermostat and associated hoses. Is there anything else in the area around the turbo on the backside of the waterpump that could be leaking. Right now it will drip out about a 1/2 cup every ten minutes.

Geting ready to look at the service manual on my pc to see every coolant related item in that area but you guys may know right off.

Post subject: Re: out on trip, coolant leaking passenger side, need advice
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:36 pm 
LOST Member

The coolant bottle itself! Make sure all the hoses AND the sensor on the bottom are connected properly. I've had small leaks from hoses on the bottle that just vibrated loose over time. That would be easy to check. A little UV dye can make things a lot easier to identify as well, any auto parts store should have some, and a UV pen light.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds way too far forward to be coolant bottle. Could be oil cooler hoses - a bit forward of turbo and below where airbox to turbo hose connects to turbo. However, given the work you did I'd suspect one of the coolant hoses is not properly seated or clamped. If you reused the OEM hose tension clamps I'd suspect one is shot or broken or you mixed them up and did not put them back on the hose(s) them came off of (they come in various tension levels).

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Nearly all the coolant connections are on the passenger side.
Start from the top and work your way down.
Run your fingers around every possible connection, feeling for wetness.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

:BANANA: found it :BANANA: I didn't torque the thermostat bolts to the right spec at 21 ftlbs, probably did 21 inlbs because it was leaking around the thermostat housing. I snugged up the bolts a little since I am without a torque wrench right now and that stopped the scary drip trail I was leaving everywhere I went.

Its way dark out and I was working with a led light. I took the air box out of the way to see in there better and I have a crack in the air hose right at the turbo inlet :dead: . I must have caused that putting the air box back in after the belt and pump job. That has to be very risky for sucking in who knows what unfiltered. Not sure if one of those is to be had local but it is now the priority item. I am about 500 miles from home so if I have to I will run with the crack until I get there, thought about duct tape or a big piece of shrink tube to limp on in with.

Thanks for the suggestions on where to look!