It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coolant Leak from Rear'ish of Engine
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

We have no coolant in the oil. But after every trip we get maybe a 1/4 cup of coolant on the floor. Looking from below it's running down the rear of the engine (the oil filter is covered in dried coolant). With the front end up about 8" so I could get under it a little coolant was also dripping off the driver's side. We get low coolant message every 10-14 days depending on how much it is driven (which is about 150-200 miles tops).

So it COULD be a heater core hose, coolant tank leak, head gasket (please NOT a head gasket). Are there freeze plugs on this block on the rear of the block or high up on the passenger side? Any other ideas?

Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak from Rear'ish of Engine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There was a post a while back about a leak seemed to be from a small freeze plug high on the rear of the engine but I don't have the link or remember what happened. It's more likely that your leak in associated with the EGR (cooler hoses, cooler, EGR). I'd suggest some UV dye in coolant; drive a day or 2; look for dye with UV light with vehicle in shade or garage. Very likely EGR hoses

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak from Rear'ish of Engine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:42 am 

See this thread, lots of good info:
viewtopic.php?t=83341
It is very concerning that you are seeing it on the oil filter. I would think that any leak in the EGR cooler area (drivers side of engine) coolant would be dripping off of the starter area? :shock:

There is a single large coolant freeze plug on the rear center of the head, PN 05066836AA
Item no.4 on the parts diagram below.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount