It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Central Texas CRD Mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, I've got a good deal on a 2006 CRD that I'm looking at picking up tomorrow. However the engine has a knock during acceleration, no black smoke, but supposedly a loss in power. The price is super low so it's hard to pass up.

That being said, an engine knock is beyond my abilities, I know there's a recommended mechanics list but I'm not authorized to see that thread.

Any recommendations? I'm in the Austin/Pflugerville area.

Post subject: Re: Central Texas CRD Mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Good afternoon! I'm the traveling CRD tech, and I'm sure sooner or later someone would have suggested you search for me. I just happened to see your thread first I guess.

Knocking on acceleration can be a number of things, some are cheap and easy to check, others require a bit more investigation. The cheap things are whether the engine has any codes - underboost is a clue - and removing the intake hoses between the turbo and the intercooler and the intercooler and the engine - and carefully inspecting these for tears. Frequently the result of a boost leak is knocking on acceleration and lots of smoke out the back. BUT if the engine has detected the loss of boost, then it may have set the code and "turned off" the turbo so you will still not have enough air, but it won't be overfueling quite as much after that. Idle performance may be smooth and normal though because there is no boost needed at idle.

Getting into the more expensive things are the possibility of rockers or injectors that need work, I have come upon a number of CRDs recently where the injectors are not testing within spec by a wide margin (20-30% off) and that can definitely adversely affect the performance. The rockers can be checked with the sound and the MAF reading at idle from the computer - If the sound is uneven, that is a possible indication. If the MAF reads 16 or above, the rockers are probably good, 15 or below there is possibly an issue. It is not a 100% test obviously, but it can be informative with other information.

Do you know whether the timing belt and water pump have been serviced on this CRD? If the timing is off or has "slipped" because of age, that would also be a prime reason for a knock on acceleration, but would be a good reason for the rockers to be damaged (they are the designed failure point if the timing is not correct) and the belt is SERIOUSLY overdue if it has not been changed, the age limit is 6 years or 100k miles... Chrysler "forgot" to put the age into the owner's manual so that they could avoid possibly having to pay for the replacement under the warranty.

As for me - I work on CRDs all across the country, and I've been to Austin several times. I would be happy to discuss your CRD with you and create a plan to come and look it over / repair what needs service. I generally focus my efforts on the engine of these unique vehicles, any qualified shop can help with the normal things like tires or suspension etc as those are not special to the CRD.

The easiest way for us to chat is via email (button below) as the private message system on the forum doesn't seem to send notifications anymore for some reason.
Welcome to the CRD club!
--Jim

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think the recommended mechanics list is a broken link

last time I saw it there weren't any in Texas

If you find one - I'd like to meet him.

on mine - I bought it at Bluebonnet in New Braunfels - straightforward - honest - clueless about diesels.

I had to have service (warranty) - went to Southpoint (they service Cummins/Sprinter)- and in only 9-10 tries they were able to fix a repeat dying glowplug (cracked head - replaced under warranty) - and then that mechanic left to work on Corvettes - new guy sounded clueless.

My standing recommendation is that if you're not comfortable working on the engine - you shouldn't own a CRD.

That said - if Geordi had been around Texas- I would have paid him to be there when I did my timing belt - he wasn't -
I did reference his posts that helped a lot and it runs after I finished.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know a great mechanic just north of Whitney. My liberty has 300k on it and still running strong.