It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2.5 to a 2.8?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:16 am 
LOST Newbie

hi, just looking for info on engine swapping my 2.5lt kj to a 2.8lt what needs to be changed?

Post subject: Re: 2.5 to a 2.8?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am 
LOST Addict

This might be possible for the 2002-2004 2.5/2.8. But I would not recommend the 05+ 2.8 since a fair bit changed on the 2005.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 am 
LOST Member

Yeah I agree with Sir Sam here...up to 2004 may work.

I presume your 2002 is a manual?...here in SA the 2002 like mine only came out in manual form....went automatic/manual with the introduction of the 2.8L in about 2003 I think.

So you may have a problem finding 2.8 L motors that came out as automatics and now there may be issues connecting this 2.8 motor to an old 2002 manual gearbox.

Also It would be a major issue...re-wiring, new ECM etc. if you intend taking full advantage of the 2.8L extra power due to it having the variable vane turbo....fitting the basic 2.8 engine but retaining the stock ECM and fixed-vane turbo should not be too difficult and should give extra power.

I know the early Export 2.5 L engines have a MAP sensor that has two mounting bolts as apposed to the single bolt of the 2.8L models....in other words the output from the newer sensor may be different to what the ECM is expecting.

Likewise the 2.5 L motor uses 11 volt glow plugs as apposed to the 5V/7v glow plugs the 2.8 L uses. The 11 volt plugs...one volt of the supplied 12 volts is dropped over the relay contacts and other connections due to the high current!

The 11 volt system is more basic...the ECM energizes two large relays to supply 11 volts to the plugs....the ECM does not concern itself if the plugs actually are in working condition....the ECM only checks that these two relays do not have their coils open circuit or short circuited whereas the 2.8 5/7 volt system is a lot more complex and troublesome!

If my 2.5L motor had to drastically blow up I myself would seriously look into fitting a good used 2.8 L motor and keep the fixed turbo, 11 volt glow plugs and original ECM and think about which MAP sensor to use! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Billybob wrote:
If my 2.5L motor had to drastically blow up I myself would seriously look into fitting a good used 2.8 L motor and keep the fixed turbo, 11 volt glow plugs and original ECM and think about which MAP sensor to use! :wink:

I think this is the approach to take, use the 2.8 longblock with the 2.5 everything else including ECU. Let a tune for extra fuel make up for the slight increase in displacement if needed.