It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A/C Condenser Replacement
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

My '05 CRD has a leak in the condenser. My question is can I replace it with the gasser condenser if I add an external transmission cooler (Hayden 403) to save on forking out the 300-400 bucks for the 5183561AA OEM part? Thanx in advanced. Just finished replacing the turbo with a Stigan (max boost now 20.5 instead of 30+ @ wot)after the veins froze completely in the oe Garrett. Tried the oven cleaner trick but didn't help.

Post subject: Re: A/C Condenser Replacement
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:36 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is the condensor leak Freon or tranny fluid from tranny cooler in bottom of condenser? if latter keep condenser and add after market tranny cooler

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:15 am 
LOST Newbie

It's a freon leak unfortunately

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:30 pm 

I have not done it, but I would think you could use a gasser AC condenser and just add the biggest aftermarket add on oil cooler that you could physically fit in the space available.
If you do not do any towing, you might get by with a medium size cooler?
Example, my Dodge cummins simply has a medium size transmission cooler (OEM) on one side of the area in front of the radiator and there are no other coolers. And it tows 10k. :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

The cooler I planned on using is considered a heavy duty by Hayden. Model # 403. Sized @ 7"x12 1/2" x 3/4" thick. Guess I will find out on Tuesday. And if course after I ordered them 50 bucks for condenser and 35 for the cooler, I located an aftermarket condenser for 187 with the cooler built in. Oh well.... Thank for everyone's input. So far this forum has helped me replace the fuel filter head,map sensor, glow plugs, boost gauge and a turbo install. There is a world of info in these pages if you just look.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 am 
LOST Addict

Rodberginc@gmail.com wrote:
The cooler I planned on using is considered a heavy duty by Hayden. Model # 403. Sized @ 7"x12 1/2" x 3/4" thick. Guess I will find out on Tuesday. And if course after I ordered them 50 bucks for condenser and 35 for the cooler, I located an aftermarket condenser for 187 with the cooler built in. Oh well.... Thank for everyone's input. So far this forum has helped me replace the fuel filter head,map sensor, glow plugs, boost gauge and a turbo install. There is a world of info in these pages if you just look.

Ya I think I installed that same cooler on top of the OEM AC/trans unit when the trans unit started leaking.

Been working good for me for many years now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

After waiting 2 weeks for the condenser from Amazon, I finally got it in. And no it is not an exact replacement. I had to trim the fan shroud at the bottom. The brackets r reveversed on the gasser model, which kicks the condenser out towards the grill more. It went in but not the easiest of solutions. If I had to do it again. I would just order the 187 dollar replacement from AutoZone... Learn from my trials. :) Thanks everyone once again for all the help.