It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broken glow plug
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Removing glow plugs to replace... #1 came out with no issues however #2 left part of the ceramic tip behind. Anyone have luck with getting it out with head removal?

Post subject: Re: Broken glow plug
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Unplug all 4 injectors and crank the engine. Hopefully the compression will shoot it out.

Or...
Stick something long and narrow into the glow plug hole to see if its clear. Its possible that the engine has already digested the broken tip. (depending on how much was broken off)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

go to http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ and download my tech tips PDF scroll bookmarks to DIY broken glow plug removal tip

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

can you be certain it broke during the removal process? how big of a piece?

Lots of times glow plugs break during everyday driving and if you are lucky you will never have known. 2 of mine had broken tips when I pulled them, but the broke off area was covered in soot leading me to believe it had been that way for quite a while. A brand new break will show clean ceramic. I just replaced and called it a day, all has been fine. I'm not saying I did it the right way, but I was fairly certain pulling the head would have done me no good and was not worth my time given the age and mileage of my CRD. I'm in drive it until the repairs cost too much mode.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I thought it was possible that it was already broken when I pulled it out but it did look like there was a shinny part on the top. Once I had it out and set it down another piece broke off.
Probably smaller then 1/4 inch in total is missing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

i say if your CRD is good and you like it , remove cylinder head and do it properly , or pull engine and inspect everything , if you want to check bottom end aswell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm 
LOST Member

Could also get a hold of a vid inspection camera that will fit thru the injector hole. That would allow you to look around in the cyl for the missing tip. Not as good as pulling the head, but a lot quicker and easier.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Do you know what the diameter is of the injector hole or glow plug hole is?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

If I remember correctly, my Harbor Freight inspection camera would not fit through the injector hole when I did the ARP studs on my old CRD. I think it basically just got jammed in the hole and I didn't try going any further because the heads like to break off the camera probes. I had one break off in the inspection hole for the flywheel when I was doing the timing, which H.F. replaced for free, but I certainly didn't want THAT floating around in my cylinder. I doubt you would be able to see anything going in through the glow plug bore for the same reason, and you wouldn't be able to turn the corner after getting the tip in, if it would fit. You would need a smaller diameter tip and/or a 90-degree tip to see anything through either bore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:43 pm 
LOST Member

IIRC most inspection cameras come with a clip on mirror which essentially lets them see all around at 90 deg to their tube. But they need to fit in. So if you can find one that will fit (with its mirror) then that should work.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 am 
LOST Member

I've messed around with a cheap eBay borescope that had a 5.5mm camera head. It fit down the injector hole ok but there wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room so I'm not sure how well you'd be able to angle it so you could see around the cylinder. I'm pretty confident you wouldn't be able to get it into the cylinder through the glow plug hole, but you could certainly put it through the glow plug bore until the point that it narrows. That, combined with a light shining down the injector hole, should give you a pretty good idea of whether there's a broken off glow plug tip still in place.

edit: I didn't try the camera with the mirror attachment installed, but I'm not really sure that would fit through the injector hole since IIRC it's a bit larger diameter than the camera itself.