It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 CRD stops running @65mph
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:48 pm 
LOST Member

Really weird. Driving on the freeway coming back from a 6 day, 250 mile off-road "marathon" the Jeep just stopped running. It restarted for only a few seconds and died again. Fuel gauge read 1/4+ tank remaining and my OH display said I had 85 miles to empty. An engine fault on the instrument cluster was present so I quickly got my TORQUE code reader app from my cell phone and it said there was a fuel leak.

It has an Airteck in-line "lift" pump, but when I removed the inlet fuel line, I notice that the plunger for bleeding air was completely in (bottomed down) and when the hose was removed it made a quick sucking sound and the plunger returned to normal position.

Soon after this happened a UDOT (Utah Dept. Of Transportation) and a Utah Highway Patrol officer stopped and we were assessing the problem and we concurred that there may be an obstruction in the line or in the tank so I called for a wrecker to bring me 5 gallons of fuel and IF it wouldn't restart, he could load it and take me to his shop.

It started right up after adding the 5 gal. he had brought, and it stayed running for the rest of the 100 miles home, but of course not before topping off the tank at the nearest station.

This morning I removed the filter housing / filter and noticed a slight amount of fuel at the base of the filter / housing connection, but all connections were tight, but on a side note, I thought I had notice a slight amount of wetness at that location during the evaluation process on the side of the road.

I installed a new MOPAR filter and double checked all appropriate connections, test drove it with no issues. **NOTE: I had, previous to my off-road event, replaced the filter but was a made-in-China product. This was why I thought it was best to replace it to at least eliminate that as a possible problem.

Should I drop the tank and figure a way to evaluate a possible obstruction, and how do I effectively clean out the tank?

OR.... should I drive it until I'm at the 1/4 tank mark (and less) to see if the problem reoccurs? I hate that idea but how else can I see if the problem reocurres.

Thanks in advance for suggestions....

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II, "Provent"(custom) +++

Post subject: Re: 2005 CRD stops running @65mph
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:40 pm 
LOST Member

Seems to me that if the plunger was fully depressed, your CP3 drew a large vacuum against a pretty good seal. Are you sure your inline pump was functioning properly, and is it a pass-thru design? It's tough to imagine anything large enough to block the fuel line could have gotten in the tank unless you accidentally dropped a latex glove in there or something (but you've never dropped the tank, right?) :dizzy:

I would see if it does it again and have some extra fuel on you just in case. It also wouldn't hurt to flip the key on and off a bunch of times and listen to make sure your lift pump is working consistently. It'll be tough to truly know without the vehicle moving, vibrating, hitting bumps, etc. I had an intermittent connection issue after I installed my in-tank pump and it would stall out when the pump turned off because it couldn't pull enough fuel all the way through the system. It wouldn't pull a vacuum like yours, but would starve the fuel supply.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

well i did try china fuel filters and i was dumping HOWESS fuel meaner cleaner long time ago to fix my fuel delivery issues , and shortly after i needed to spend some money on 2 injectors and 2nd gen fuel head and intank Lp and secondary fuel filter system WW design , so i did learn my lesson LOL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

Your sure your fuel level gauge is actually accurate?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm 

ROKTAXI,
If you drop the fuel tank, do yourself and your Jeep a huge favor and install an intank fuel pump and never have fuel delivery or air in fuel problems again...
Once you install an intank lift pump, if you have ANY leaks in your fuel system, they will become self evident very quickly since the intank pump puts the entire fuel system under positive pressure.
Based on what you described, sounds like your inline fuel pump quit and was not a flow through design... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:28 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
ROKTAXI,
If you drop the fuel tank, do yourself and your Jeep a huge favor and install an intank fuel pump and never have fuel delivery or air in fuel problems again...
Once you install an intank lift pump, if you have ANY leaks in your fuel system, they will become self evident very quickly since the intank pump puts the entire fuel system under positive pressure.
Based on what you described, sounds like your inline fuel pump quit and was not a flow through design... :roll:

Thanks for the reply. If I end up dropping the tank I will certainly be doing just that ... in-tank pump.

I'm fairly sure the Airtex (designed for diesel fuel) is a flow-through design but I'm checking with the mfg to verify. NOTE: I could blow thru it with no power connected.

Since installing the new filter, I've been driving it around w/o any issues. And of course, I drove it 100 miles without a problem also, but the very slight evidence of a leak around the top of the fuel filter I found previously has not reappeared.... *fingers crossed*

The WIX filter I installed (purchased from Amazon) before my trip had NO mfg stamp or PN, which I thought was odd. Only a 'made in China' stamp. ??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 am 
LOST Addict

I've used the WIX fuel filter before and had no problems.
I usually get mine from Napa but never checked where it was made.

I suspect you got a bad tank of fuel that crudded up your filter.

I use a Facet in-line pump just ahead of the main filter.
Then I added a clear glass filter in front of it as a pre-filter.
This way I can see if any crud is being pumped in from the tank.
Its also really easy to take apart and clean when necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:47 am 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:
.......I use a Facet in-line pump just ahead of the main filter.
Then I added a clear glass filter in front of it as a pre-filter.....

Great idea!

So I called Airtech about specs for the inline pump and was very helpful. Their pumps are flow-through. The pump I had ordered was for an Onan generator and is rated at 3.5 - 5 psi. The other one I had was rated at 6 - 8 psi. For my application, the difference was not a concern as I'm more concerned with volume.

When I replaced the 'china' filter with the Mopar, I noticed that the small flat rubber gasket was thicker than the 'china' filter. Don't know if that was enough to cause the 'fuel leak' OBD fault code, but so far all is good. It also appears to start quicker (less cranking). Before, I had to run the Airtex pump run longer to prime it but now it will start right up without doing that.

*keeping fingers crossed*