It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camshaft Hub or Lower Timing Belt Gear???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I need to replace the vibration dampener and whatever it attaches to within the timing belt housing (four bolts). I cannot for the life of me figure out if it attaches to the camshaft hub or lower timing belt gear. And after reading and rereading the manual and examining all the engine diagrams, it is still clear as mud.

The manual link I am using is http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/J ... Manual.pdf and I am specifically looking at pages 9-230, 9-231, 9-238, 9-239. It almost seems as though they talk about these two parts as if they are one in the same. In the images though, one is rounded off (Lower timing gear) and one has four points to it (camshaft hub). I have attached images - hopefully they can be seen, otherwise, the pages in that link should get you to see what I am looking at.

I just need to know what part to replace...and then finding that part I am sure will be another headache, but I appreciate any assistance that can be provided.

2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD

Post subject: Re: Camshaft Hub or Lower Timing Belt Gear???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:45 pm 
LOST Addict

The big bolt on the crankshaft holds the crank sprocket onto the crankshaft nose.
The dampener bolts to the crank sprocket with 4 bolts. No need to mess with the big bolt in the center.

Once you get the engine fan and shroud removed, and belt, its pretty easy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

I think his confusion stems from the pictures; One shows a 'timing belt sprocket'.. with ROUND flange, and the other pic is a CRANKSHAFT HUB with flat sided flange.. (maybe it's the other way) regardless; They are one and the same.
Not the first inconsistency in the CRD section of the FSM!!

anyway, if the 4 bolts were still tight on the hub, I'd say his hub should be ok, and reusable.. But if they were loose, and allowed the damper to wobble and chew on it, he should replace it too.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Rancherman!! My confusion was definitely if the lower timing gear and crankshaft hub (as labeled on the diagrams) were one in the same. The dampener was loose and one of the 4 bolts broke in half, so yes, I have to replace the dampener and the hub/gear.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Courtney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:55 pm 
LOST Addict

skifast84 wrote:
Thanks Rancherman!! My confusion was definitely if the lower timing gear and crankshaft hub (as labeled on the diagrams) were one in the same. The dampener was loose and one of the 4 bolts broke in half, so yes, I have to replace the dampener and the hub/gear.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Courtney

Replacing the crank sprocket will require removal of the timing belt.
You will also need to pin the crank, or have some sort of counter hold, to remove the big crank bolt. Its in there really tight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Trust me when I tell you - you don't want or need to remove the crank hub. That will be a bear and a half. Follow the timing belt factory procedure and remove the radiator / intercooler and move the AC out of the way, and then you can go at the bolt with EZ-out or another extractor tool.

At worst, the pulley will be just fine with three of those 10mm bolts holding the pulley, all the weight is held by the center hub around the crank hub bolt. Using grade 12 bolts instead of the factory unrated hardware can also help, but don't overtighten the hub bolts. That is probably what weakened them in the first place.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
Trust me when I tell you - you don't want or need to remove the crank hub. That will be a bear and a half. Follow the timing belt factory procedure and remove the radiator / intercooler and move the AC out of the way, and then you can go at the bolt with EZ-out or another extractor tool.

At worst, the pulley will be just fine with three of those 10mm bolts holding the pulley, all the weight is held by the center hub around the crank hub bolt. Using grade 12 bolts instead of the factory unrated hardware can also help, but don't overtighten the hub bolts. That is probably what weakened them in the first place.

I have to replace this part - the holes are warped and EZout/extractor tool won't work for this. Thanks for your input, but I will be replacing all parts and bolts, with the right tools; not only three bolts, bubblegum, and duct tape :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:01 pm 
LOST Member

As you may have already found out, the crank hub retaining bolt is left hand thread..

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'