It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Timing belt time - and what else?
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:20 am 
LOST Member

Not ordered the Kroil yet but was at a farm store down in western KY visiting my daughter just back from China and they had some Seafoam that sprays upside down on sale so got two bottles of that. Always had good luck with Seafoam products.

Was considering replacing the fan hub while it was all apart and the holiday sales were on but got to reading and seems the Hayden has issues even when new so maybe just go with what I have?

1998 XJ 4.0L, stock with 130,XXX miles

First Jeep: 1962 Willys CJ-3B

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:58 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
krb wrote:
I've got the whole front end apart now and about to dig into the timing cover.

The top left corner of the intercooler is oily on the outside (as is radiator too) and a wee bit of splatter on the hoses etc. I get a few drips in that area occasionally too. I was thinking it was a power steering line/fitting but after removing the IC and seeing all that sooty oil inside there and remembering all the discussions about that I'm wondering now if my IC isn't leaking where the plastic crimps to the metal fins?

I don't really recall needing to add any PS fluid and the hoses "look" OK. One crimp connection swivels a bit. I didn't suspect the IC because it seemed to boost fine but I guess I should pressure test it. The oil is sooty so that should have told me it was the IC and not the PS. I just hate to button it all up and find it is the PS. Is there any known weak point or failure in that system with the hoses or the rack?

BTW seeing all that oil in the IC hose confirms the need for the EGR delete! Let's see how much drains out of the IC...

If you want to keep the oil out of the boost hoses and the CAC (IC), install a Mann ProVent coalescing filter like many on this forum have done.... :wink:

I've found a lot of threads on why to install a Provent but no definitive "how-to". I've seen different methods by different members but is there THE thread anywhere that explains what size hoses, fittings (sounds like the unit outlet/inlets are bigger than stock hose?), etc?

My hose from the CCV to the turbo hose is split and after having this thing apart for timing belt & water pump I see all this sooty oil every where I'm convinced this is needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:46 am 

krb wrote:
I've found a lot of threads on why to install a Provent but no definitive "how-to". I've seen different methods by different members but is there THE thread anywhere that explains what size hoses, fittings (sounds like the unit outlet/inlets are bigger than stock hose?), etc?
My hose from the CCV to the turbo hose is split and after having this thing apart for timing belt & water pump I see all this sooty oil every where I'm convinced this is needed.

Most mount it over in the corner on the passenger side next to the coolant reservoir.
I mounted mine using a home made bracket to the turbo vacuum controller mount.
Hose size is 3/4", 1" to 3/4" reducer needed for ProVent fittings.

See this thread, it covers most of the mounting possibilities:> viewtopic.php?f=5&t=83541&p=881414#p881414

Also, be sure and check CAC (intercooler) for build up of oil in bottom. Mine had a bunch of oil in it pre Provent when I did timing belt. :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:59 am 
LOST Member

Thanks WW! That's the kind of thread I was looking for but didn't find.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:22 am 

krb wrote:

Use this search trick, it works!
"addtexthere" site:www.lostjeeps.com/forum/
type your key word or phrase followed by site:www.lostjeeps.com/forum/
in the search bar and hit enter, it will limit the search to just LOSTJEEPS.com
super fast!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 am 
LOST Member

That works really well. I used it to find torque values.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:56 am 
LOST Member

Starting to button things up but noticed my injector pump pulley has no nut! Anybody know what size nut I need to get to replace that?
Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:59 pm 

krb wrote:
Starting to button things up but noticed my injector pump pulley has no nut! Anybody know what size nut I need to get to replace that?
Thanks,

Call these folks, bet they can tell you.
https://oregonfuelinjection.com/

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:55 am 
LOST Member

Oh man! I took my elbow off to get to the glow plugs and install WW’s delete plate & remove the FCV and man is that thing sooted up! Probably at least 1/4” of gunk on the walls!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:09 pm 

krb wrote:
Oh man! I took my elbow off to get to the glow plugs and install WW’s delete plate & remove the FCV and man is that thing sooted up! Probably at least 1/4” of gunk on the walls!

I have seen some pictures of worse! Scrap and clean out as much as you can out of the intake pipe. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck out any loose stuff, you don't want clumps of it going through the head causing a valve to hang open and make contact with a piston. :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
That looks familiar.
I just tossed mine in favor of the Weeks elbow.
Probably the best way to clean it is soak in Carb cleaner overnight, or even Diesel would probably work. Gasoline or hard solvents like acetone will dry the gunk out and set it like cement.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:53 am 
LOST Member

Wow, mine's not nearly that bad! Got it all cleaned out and ready to button back up but have a few questions:

I got some flashing to do the EGR block off plate. It is pretty thing, about like an aluminum can. Is this thick enough do you think?

The other end of the tube with the clamp had some orange gasket type stuff in there, do I need to add some of that back as a sealant?

I got the new gaskets and o-ring for the intake since I took out the FCV butterfly. Do they go on dry or do I need to coat with any sealer? Or oil on the o-ring?

Lastly, What is the black bracket for that's bolted to the intake at the 10:00 position in your photo? I don't think mine was attached to anything.

Thanks again for all the help and tips.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 am 

krb wrote:
Wow, mine's not nearly that bad! Got it all cleaned out and ready to button back up but have a few questions:

I got some flashing to do the EGR block off plate. It is pretty thing, about like an aluminum can. Is this thick enough do you think?
If it is real thin, I would double it! Or better yet, make it out of a soup or vegetable can lid (steel & much thicker).

The other end of the tube with the clamp had some orange gasket type stuff in there, do I need to add some of that back as a sealant?
Probably high temperature silicone? Won't hurt, but the tube is a flare fit and clamped in place with a special V-band clamp and should not need any sealer.

I got the new gaskets and o-ring for the intake since I took out the FCV butterfly. Do they go on dry or do I need to coat with any sealer? Or oil on the o-ring?
A little sealer on the gasket is good, to much on that Oring will cause problems. I would just put a little light coating of grease on the Oring.

Lastly, What is the black bracket for that's bolted to the intake at the 10:00 position in your photo? I don't think mine was attached to anything.
I believe that is the bracket for the metal vacuum tube where the rubber hose connects that runs over to the brake booster?

Thanks again for all the help and tips.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:09 am 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I believe that is the bracket for the metal vacuum tube where the rubber hose connects that runs over to the brake booster?

I'll go and check dad's and see what his is hooked to.

Still fighting that #1 glow plug, I've heated with a propane torch to no avail. I'm worried about breaking off the easy out. The other 3 came out no problem. Guess I'll have to drill and tap. Uggg. :furious:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 am 
LOST Member

So I've tried everything that I can think of, even ignoring it and hoping the glow plug fairies remove it but to no avail. So, I guess I'm resigned to pulling the head to extract that #1 biddy.

My question is: I have the vehicle apart and did the timing belt and EGR delete, how far am I already in to the head removal? 75%? I need some positive reinforcement because I'm loosing steam on this project. As soon as I finish rebuilding the Dana 60 on my W250 I'll be back on the KJ more serious. Hope to have it going again before winter if money allows.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 pm 
LOST Member

krb wrote:
So I've tried everything that I can think of, even ignoring it and hoping the glow plug fairies remove it but to no avail. So, I guess I'm resigned to pulling the head to extract that #1 biddy.

My question is: I have the vehicle apart and did the timing belt and EGR delete, how far am I already in to the head removal? 75%? I need some positive reinforcement because I'm loosing steam on this project. As soon as I finish rebuilding the Dana 60 on my W250 I'll be back on the KJ more serious. Hope to have it going again before winter if money allows.

If all you did was remove the old belt and replace it with a new one...then you're maybe 50% there? Its tough to say how long it will take, but once you've done it once you can have the whole thing apart, down to the cylinders, in about 4 hours from the point you're at (I assume). You have to remove the injectors (typically very easy), remove the camshaft pulleys (very easy), remove the inner timing cover (fairly easy), and remove the intake manifold (easy once the wiring harness is pulled up out of the way). At this point you have access to the head bolts where you will need to either remove the turbo (difficult) or pull the entire head/turbo assembly (also difficult), then you can perform whatever repairs are necessary and re-assemble. I am a fan of replacing every single gasket, o-ring and seal along the way, so the parts list is long and can be expensive depending on your desired options such as ARP head studs, etc. Many have opted to replace the exhaust valves while they have the head off, and it is almost certainly worth having a machine shop inspect the head while its off. See if they can clean the intake manifold while you're at it. Any good shop can do all of the work necessary to the head. As always, we can help with any questions along the way!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:56 am 
LOST Member

Yea, I replaced the TB, water pump, block heater but haven't buttoned anything back up yet.

I've had the head of my Cummins for a headgasket R&R before and am comfortable with all that. But it didn't have that mass of wire loom on top and such tight quarters.

I'd definitely replace all the seals & gaskets but can't bite the bullet for studs.

Is turbo removal difficult due to lack of room or what?

I've labeled everything and took pics but worry so much time has elapsed I'll forget how it all goes back :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

krb wrote:
Yea, I replaced the TB, water pump, block heater but haven't buttoned anything back up yet.

I've had the head of my Cummins for a headgasket R&R before and am comfortable with all that. But it didn't have that mass of wire loom on top and such tight quarters.

I'd definitely replace all the seals & gaskets but can't bite the bullet for studs.

Is turbo removal difficult due to lack of room or what?

I've labeled everything and took pics but worry so much time has elapsed I'll forget how it all goes back :cry:

The amount of room really isn't much of a problem. They simply didn't leave much extra wire in the harness to make it easy to pull up and out of the way. Most people use a bungee cord connected to the windshield wiper arm to hold it back and out of the way.

I can't really stress the importance of ARP studs enough. You probably know this already, but the OEM bolts are garbage. I know it is a big chunk of change, but so is a new head and/or motor!

The turbo is tough because the studs are hard to get to in order to unbolt it from the exhaust manifold, and the studs also tend to break off leaving you with a mess to clean up once everything is removed. Have new studs handy to replace them when you do the job. IDParts has them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:42 am 
LOST Member

I have the FSM info on head gasket R&R. Is there a good sticky or utube video that can be recommended? I always do better with pictures...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:17 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
krb wrote:

Use this search trick, it works!
"addtexthere" site:www.lostjeeps.com/forum/
type your key word or phrase followed by site:www.lostjeeps.com/forum/
in the search bar and hit enter, it will limit the search to just LOSTJEEPS.com
super fast!

:SOMBRERO:

I've been working in the ME/EE/IT field for 30 years, still writing software and creating custom hardware. This is the best tip I've seen in a long time, hat tip to you WW

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff