It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wrecked CRD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

HI, I have a 2006 Liberty CRD with about 160000 miles on it. Driver side front end is damaged... air bag deployed, front frame damage, busted windshield, and suspension damage etc.

The motor core still looks good. Fires right up just like before. Radiator is pushed in, but not leaking.

I have a dilemma. It appears this beloved jeep is going to cost me more than what its worth to fix it, even if i do a lot of the work myself.

Is the drive train worth enough to somebody to bother pulling it, or should i just junk it?

I think i would try to fix it, if the air bag did not deploy. Does it really cost an arm to get a new airbag installed?

I would like to put the motor parts in a CJ or TJ but have read that its too much work to be worth it? Wranglers overseas had the 2.8 crd. Can i not scrounge up what i need from them? I have access to machine/fab shop and am fairly familiar/capable.

Its a good engine, had it for 5 years and 70000 miles. No problems at all. Changed timing belt at a 100. Transmission was slightly clunky before the wreck, but still acceptable. Any Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Wrecked CRD
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:32 pm 

How much, and where are you located?
Interested parties will want to know! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

What WWDiesel said. Location is the first thing that I am usually concerned with and then price.
Also, any information that you can provide about what, if any work was done to the motor such as ARP studs, rockers, etc..

07 WK CRD - GDE Eco Tune
04 WJ 4.0 - RC 4" lift

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:59 pm 
LOST Member

I've seen 'good runner' engines with no noises, and reasonable miles (100-125k) command 3500-4000, and when they are pushing 200k or more, then $2000-2500. That's what they want for them, I dunno if they are actually getting it!

Axles, trans, some odd ball interior pieces, you might get another 2000 out of it.. There are a LOT of liberty's being parted out right now gassers too.. you may have to wait a long time to see it in your wallet.
Or you could find one of these blown engine liberties ... and rescue a non wrecked body and swap your drive line into it.
I'd love to put a 2.8 into my ol yota pickup bomber. I already have a Tdi sitting patiently in the shop to put in it though.. :banghead: I got 'other' projects that need my attention first!!

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

The jeep is in Cincinnati. Its all original except turbo hoses, timing belt, and water pump.

Im still undecided with what i am going to do with the jeep. Just weighing my most cost effective options with the possibility of a summer project. Ill know more this weekend when i get her back from the impound. Ill get in there and poke around the damage.

If i do sell the drive train, i'd be willing to drive and meet a couple hours away. i can grab a packable gantry crane that should be able to transfer the the motor from my truck to another truck no problem.

i should be able to up a video of the motor running this weekend,if im selling it. I never thought about trying to find a blown crd to swap. will call some junk yards tomorrow. These birds are pretty hard to find though

Thanks for the replies

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
They are all over craigslist around here.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

somethingsomething wrote:
HI, I have a 2006 Liberty CRD with about 160000 miles on it. Driver side front end is damaged... air bag deployed, front frame damage, busted windshield, and suspension damage etc.

The motor core still looks good. Fires right up just like before. Radiator is pushed in, but not leaking.

I have a dilemma. It appears this beloved jeep is going to cost me more than what its worth to fix it, even if i do a lot of the work myself.

Is the drive train worth enough to somebody to bother pulling it, or should i just junk it?

I think i would try to fix it, if the air bag did not deploy. Does it really cost an arm to get a new airbag installed?

I would like to put the motor parts in a CJ or TJ but have read that its too much work to be worth it? Wranglers overseas had the 2.8 crd. Can i not scrounge up what i need from them? I have access to machine/fab shop and am fairly familiar/capable.

Its a good engine, had it for 5 years and 70000 miles. No problems at all. Changed timing belt at a 100. Transmission was slightly clunky before the wreck, but still acceptable. Any Thoughts?

Is it a limited with leather power seats? If yes, I'd be interested in the Driver seat all the way down to the mounts.

Insofar as the rest, depending on what they wanted for salvage, you could get $2k easy for the motor. Intercooler $100 easy, Turbo $250 Easy, Injectors $50 each easy, Radiator $100 easy, Transmission $500 easy... You see where I'm going here...

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings