It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: can anyone recommend a mechanic in the elko, nv area
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

hi all,
i'm in reno,nv and loaned my crd to family who drove it to elko,nv and then filled the tank with gas. so... i'm looking for a recommendation for a mechanic. any thoughts appreciated. thank you.
victoria

Post subject: Re: can anyone recommend a mechanic in the elko, nv area
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:38 am 
LOST Addict

Ketchneddy wrote:
hi all,
i'm in reno,nv and loaned my crd to family who drove it to elko,nv and then filled the tank with gas. so... i'm looking for a recommendation for a mechanic. any thoughts appreciated. thank you.
victoria

Look for a private message, Victoria.

Jeff Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

All is not lost and any competent mechanic can fix it even if they drove the few hundred feet needed for the vehicle to stall. What you need includes: a bottle of Diesel 911; a new fuel filter; a small portable fuel pump; a bit of fuel hose; a hose connecting barb; a container for contaminated fuel; and say 5 gallons of clean diesel.

Undo the line coming from the tank to the fuel filter head at the fuel filter head; hook the portable fuel line to the line you just disconnected; and pump your fuel tank dry into the referenced container.

Disconnect the pump and pull the fuel filter off (don't forget to unplug the WIF on the bottom), pour it out; remove the WIF; and THROW THAT FILTER AWAY. It is contaminated, and the percentage is too high in there to expect that you will be able to recover that. Install the WIF on the new filter; pour the Diesel 911 DIRECTLY into the filter; reinstall the filter on the filter head; and reconnect the WIF and fuel line. Add the rest of the Diesel 911 (use the whole bottle) into the tank, OR both bottles FULL STRENGTH if you had to get the Power Service Silver.

Add ca. 5 gallons of clean diesel, start it up (it should fire fairly quickly but if not do several relatively brief crank up cycles say 10-15 seconds each) and let it run with that mix for a good 10 minutes to really wash everything out. It should smooth out fairly quickly, but you want to give it a good washing with actual diesel. All in all, your CRD *should* be OK.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:47 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
All is not lost and any competent mechanic can fix it even if they drove the few hundred feet needed for the vehicle to stall. What you need includes: a bottle of Diesel 911; a new fuel filter; a small portable fuel pump; a bit of fuel hose; a hose connecting barb; a container for contaminated fuel; and say 5 gallons of clean diesel.

Undo the line coming from the tank to the fuel filter head at the fuel filter head; hook the portable fuel line to the line you just disconnected; and pump your fuel tank dry into the referenced container.

Disconnect the pump and pull the fuel filter off (don't forget to unplug the WIF on the bottom), pour it out; remove the WIF; and THROW THAT FILTER AWAY. It is contaminated, and the percentage is too high in there to expect that you will be able to recover that. Install the WIF on the new filter; pour the Diesel 911 DIRECTLY into the filter; reinstall the filter on the filter head; and reconnect the WIF and fuel line. Add the rest of the Diesel 911 (use the whole bottle) into the tank, OR both bottles FULL STRENGTH if you had to get the Power Service Silver.

Add ca. 5 gallons of clean diesel, start it up (it should fire fairly quickly but if not do several relatively brief crank up cycles say 10-15 seconds each) and let it run with that mix for a good 10 minutes to really wash everything out. It should smooth out fairly quickly, but you want to give it a good washing with actual diesel. All in all, your CRD *should* be OK.

Victoria:

My bad... I needed to be a little more thorough in my assessment of the situation and what to do FIRST.

It may indeed be a situation where little or no damage has occurred to your fuel system, and that is why papindigo's recommendations above are what you need to do first. You may get very lucky and dodge a bullet if your CRD starts and runs properly after performing papaindigo's emergency remedies. I believe his recommendations regarding the hose connecting barb would be a male/male barb, by the way.

The conversation I had with you and the places I found for you to go in Elko for fuel system repair and/or replacement are in case the above does not work and you indeed have fuel system damage.

Sorry about that; I was thinking worst case scenario.

Jeff Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

THANK YOU! Special thanks to papadingo and Jeff. With your help the CRD (and me) will be happy again soon.