It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: removing old motor mounts
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

2005 lib crd
I am trying to replace the motor mounts on my Liberty, after many hours and bloody knuckles I have
gotten both nut's off the mount's on both sides, I have also replaced the ceramic glow plugs while I have the intake
"horn" removed I can not believe how much carbon is built up in it! My egr is no longer functioning
My problem is I am unable to raise the engine to remove the old mounts. I have not loosened the transmission mount. When I try to jack up the motor the whole vehicle want's to raise.
The Lib has 192,000 miles on it and is ready for the second timing belt. I didn't change the water pump the first time but will the second.
Any ideas on raising the motor.
Don H

Post subject: Re: removing old motor mounts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:24 am 
LOST Member

The whole vehicle will rise for a bit as you remove the weight of the motor from the chassis, but it should eventually stop and the mounts rise free. I usually do one side at a tim and roll the engine slightly, instead of try to lift the whole engine high enough to take both mounts out. I have never had to loosen the trans mount.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My copy of another member's post (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=77252) says do mounts one at a time so engine does not shift position which is a risk if you do one at a time and would make reattaching the mounts a bear.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank You both. sounds like very sound advise.Had not thought of the motor shifting.
Don H

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:04 pm 
LOST Member

wa9ylp wrote:
Thank You both. sounds like very sound advise.Had not thought of the motor shifting.
Don H

just thread up the nuts loosely on one side, Don't have to tighten all the way.

Lift again, this time grab the engine with your hands and really give it a heave ho.. side to side. a little rust might have caused the mount to 'grow' together a little.. and a little 'attitude adjustment' should do the trick.

I pulled mine clear out last month, Seems like the engine came up about 4 inches before it actually outran the springs.. You are also lifting part of the trans too, I was not.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank You gentelmen!
Followed your suggestions,and all went well.
I am now looking into the P1189 code and loss of power, This happened before the motor mount
replacement.
I know that the air box connector is very loose. I also spent about four hours trying to install
a new serpintine belt,I finally had to bypass the idler on the driver side to get it installed
It is very tight. I have checked that I have the right belt,I do. I have changed this belt before
and did not enconter this problem as far as I can remember, At 77 I some times forget things like
were is that wrench that i just laid down.
Thanks again
Don H