It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Junkyard day tomorrow; couple of questions.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 pm 

One of the local junkyards has a fairly decent assortment of KJs in it right now, so I'm planning on a parts raid for the morning. None look to be CRDs, but there should be some useful stuff there. There are a couple of things I could use some advice on, however.

1) For the V6 airbox swap, is 2002 my only option, or can I use the airbox lower half and intake pipe from other years?

2) Assuming I can find one with skidplates, what will and won't interchange with an '05 CRD? I'm mostly concerned about the fuel tank skidplate, but would like to know about any issues I may need to look out for (especially fiddly things like, "be sure to grab the nutserts from...")

3) Does a V6 with the tow package use the same mechanical fan shroud as the CRD? In upgrading the fan and clutch on ours, I found that the previous owner's modification to the fan shroud was a lot more hackish than I would have preferred, and would like to have a 'clean' one to modify.

4) Anything else I should grab while I'm in there?

All suggestions appreciated.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: Junkyard day tomorrow; couple of questions.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:08 pm 

Since I was there and looked into some of these, answers below:

Quote:
1) For the V6 airbox swap, is 2002 my only option, or can I use the airbox lower half and intake pipe from other years?

2002 and 2003 V6 airboxes look to be identical. I snagged one from a 2002 since it was the only one with all of the mounting studs still intact. There were no other years for me to compare with, but those two appear to be usable.

Quote:
2) Assuming I can find one with skidplates, what will and won't interchange with an '05 CRD? I'm mostly concerned about the fuel tank skidplate, but would like to know about any issues I may need to look out for (especially fiddly things like, "be sure to grab the nutserts from...")

None of them had skidplates, so am still in the dark on that one.

Quote:
3) Does a V6 with the tow package use the same mechanical fan shroud as the CRD? In upgrading the fan and clutch on ours, I found that the previous owner's modification to the fan shroud was a lot more hackish than I would have preferred, and would like to have a 'clean' one to modify.

Short answer: it doesn't appear to. The top tab on the CRD shroud is much deeper to account for the additional depth of the A/C condenser, intercooler, and radiator being in a stack. However, it may be possible to use the lower half to repair a CRD fan shroud that was improperly cut. This needs further investigation, though.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox