It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Jamestown, Ca.
It appears that it is time for a transmission overhaul. It has 1st and 2nd gear, but no gears above and the engine just revs. The only trans code that came up in both of my diagnostic tools was P0700. I did a trans service less than 10,000 miles ago using Mopar 4+ATF, but the fluid is now dark. The 2005 CRD has 185,000 miles with original trans. I figure it's just time to for an overhaul. It is also just about time to do another timing belt service, and I need to replace the steering rack mount bushings and leaky hoses. So I am going to pull the engine and trans together.

I have been reading the many posts on which TC to go with based on the Jeep's usage. I have the GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 tires and I do not use it to tow. It is mostly used for driving mountain roads and off-roading occasionally. After installing the larger tires, TC shutter increased when going uphill. I don't think I need a Sun Coast TC. Any recommendation on a TC based on equipment and usage? Also, can anybody recommend a transmission shop in Northern California who is good at properly rebuilding/upgrading for this CRD, or a shop that I can ship to?

_________________
'05 CRD: GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 General Grabber AT2 on stock rims, Surco Safari Rack, Hayden 2905 Heavy Duty Fan Clutch, OME 926/947 Springs/Shocks/Struts, Dynomax Exhaust, Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 Thermostat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:52 pm 
Online
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 pm
Posts: 1991
Location: Utah
remwines wrote:
It appears that it is time for a transmission overhaul. It has 1st and 2nd gear, but no gears above and the engine just revs. The only trans code that came up in both of my diagnostic tools was P0700. I did a trans service less than 10,000 miles ago using Mopar 4+ATF, but the fluid is now dark. The 2005 CRD has 185,000 miles with original trans. I figure it's just time to for an overhaul. It is also just about time to do another timing belt service, and I need to replace the steering rack mount bushings and leaky hoses. So I am going to pull the engine and trans together.

I have been reading the many posts on which TC to go with based on the Jeep's usage. I have the GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 tires and I do not use it to tow. It is mostly used for driving mountain roads and off-roading occasionally. After installing the larger tires, TC shutter increased when going uphill. I don't think I need a Sun Coast TC. Any recommendation on a TC based on equipment and usage? Also, can anybody recommend a transmission shop in Northern California who is good at properly rebuilding/upgrading for this CRD, or a shop that I can ship to?


There are a couple of options that are thrown around. Florida torque converter has a few including a Liberty CRD specific TC and a hemi TC that has a lower stall speed than the CRD version(meaning its more grabby, its takes less RPM to engage.) These are rebuilt converters and are <$200

There is also the "Euro" TC which is an OEM TC from the European CRD. It has a stiffer spring to prevent shudder but is otherwise the same. ID parts and some other folks carry these.

There is also these guys, http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/45B%20Performance%20545RFE%20Billet%20torque%20converter%2045RFE.htm, although they have not returned my email in 4 days so who knows.

_________________
2006 CRD-400 ft-lb tune, Eco Trans Tune, Lift Pump, Week's, HDS Tstat, Racor Filter, ARP's, OME 790's+Top Plate, JBA 2.5", JBA UCA, Moab's+265/70R16, ARB Bar

2014 F150 EcoBoost - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, Bilstein 5100's, Airlift Bags, Duratracs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5374
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Probably 2 separate issues:
1. you need a torque converter upgrade - SunCoast or mass-hole's suggestions are good and cost less
2. the 545RFE is an extremely common DCJ transmission so any decent tranny shop can rebuild it or if you can find a low mileage used one from most any DCJ vehicle just toss it in. Either way be sure to get the upgraded front pump which I assume, but don't know for sure, fits all 545RFE model years.

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:22 pm
Posts: 309
Location: north central Nebraska
papaindigo wrote:
Probably 2 separate issues:
1. you need a torque converter upgrade - SunCoast or mass-hole's suggestions are good and cost less
2. the 545RFE is an extremely common DCJ transmission so any decent tranny shop can rebuild it or if you can find a low mileage used one from most any DCJ vehicle just toss it in. Either way be sure to get the upgraded front pump which I assume, but don't know for sure, fits all 545RFE model years.


regarding this upgraded front pump; Is this the TCC engage servo that has been enlarged? maybe a seal upgrade too?

RL009879AE seems to be the one listed by our vendors, (claim it was released in 2013) .
Makes me wonder if any pump work done BEFORE 2013 'on the bench' to individual pumps.. is what is offered 'in the box' as a reman now.
Mine had a trans warrantee claim early in it's life, and the front pump was replaced or fixed , circa 2010. I want to make sure it's got all the current upgrades available, before I put the engine back in! Anyway to tell by looking at the pump?

_________________
2006 KJ CRD, bought 9/11/14, 70,500 miles. Circulating Rotella T6 5w-40
11-3-14 oem stat installed
11-5-14 gen II FH installed.
Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:21 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:12 pm
Posts: 1947
Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
mass-hole wrote:
There is also these guys, http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/45B%20Performance%20545RFE%20Billet%20torque%20converter%2045RFE.htm, although they have not returned my email in 4 days so who knows.

For me, he was always better at answering emails.
kerry@torqueconvertershop.com
Their shop is a very large metal building that is quite effective at blocking cell phone signals, but he does get email and answers as he has opportunity during the day.
He may also be setting up booths at hot rod shows this time of year.
But enough excuses.. he was always available to me when I used emails.

_________________
'06 Lbrty Sprt CRD 150K

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:22 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Jamestown, Ca.
papaindigo: you're right about the transmission and I don't need to overthink it. I've had good results from two area shops and have full confidence in them for this job. I was just trying to give some business to someone liked by this forum. And thanks for chiming in. You helped me out with an injector issue six years ago and a few other times since.

mass-hole: I read many posts regarding all the TC's now available to us. Many members have a lot of performance upgrades and use their CRD's to tow. I don't plan on doing anymore performance improvements, tires are only 4.5 inches in circumference bigger than stock and I don't tow, so the Hemi TC seems like a good fit. It has plenty of torque to handle the lower stall speed for our purposes. The days of 9" 3500 stall speed TC's in the drag car are behind me now.

rancherman: Mopar Parts Deal has that updated front pump for $199, $100 core, so I'm going to get that on order as well. Thanks for the tip.

_________________
'05 CRD: GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 General Grabber AT2 on stock rims, Surco Safari Rack, Hayden 2905 Heavy Duty Fan Clutch, OME 926/947 Springs/Shocks/Struts, Dynomax Exhaust, Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 Thermostat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 12:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:15 am
Posts: 5374
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
The original PN for the upgraded front pump was 68009879AB and it does use a different gasket than the 1st gen front pump. What year that upgrade came out, as opposed to the RL version, and what it or its gasket look like I have no clue nor do I know how long new old stock of the 1s gen pump were on the shelves. Best I can say is lots of DCJ parts have the PN # stamped on them.

The issue IIRC was at least one piston bore wearing out which could be "fixed" if pump was redone early, mine was, with the full transgo kit which included a pump part.

_________________
Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 5:13 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Shelton, WA
remwines wrote:
It appears that it is time for a transmission overhaul. It has 1st and 2nd gear, but no gears above and the engine just revs. The only trans code that came up in both of my diagnostic tools was P0700. I did a trans service less than 10,000 miles ago using Mopar 4+ATF, but the fluid is now dark. The 2005 CRD has 185,000 miles with original trans. I figure it's just time to for an overhaul. It is also just about time to do another timing belt service, and I need to replace the steering rack mount bushings and leaky hoses. So I am going to pull the engine and trans together.

I have been reading the many posts on which TC to go with based on the Jeep's usage. I have the GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 tires and I do not use it to tow. It is mostly used for driving mountain roads and off-roading occasionally. After installing the larger tires, TC shutter increased when going uphill. I don't think I need a Sun Coast TC. Any recommendation on a TC based on equipment and usage? Also, can anybody recommend a transmission shop in Northern California who is good at properly rebuilding/upgrading for this CRD, or a shop that I can ship to?


I just bought a StreetSmart Transmission (Remanufactured) for 1790.00 3 year unlimited miles, free shipping to a commercial address. They can ship the tranny to your shop. I did the R&R myself. I have a Florida TC that I didn't use because SST said that voids my warranty. I definitely recommend a deeper aluminum pan with drain plug. Also use a lubelock RTV-less gasket (25.00 amazon) for easy filter R&R. The pan holds 4 qts more and also has a temp sensor port, bonus. Just mod your skid plate with stand offs in the rear. The new tranny is upgraded per factory spec. Reman trannys are what you purchase from a dealer, only new cars get brand new transmissions. Rebuilds are fine but lack dyno testing and QC. SST upgrades everything to current spec. I'm not affiliated with them but they have been really good to me a as far as tech support. One last thing is the TC they ship is FOR the diesel not just a stocker, they are very specific when asking for the vehicle i.e. they want the VIN.

Good luck

_________________
Purchased 2006 LIberty CRD 82,000 Sport 2016.01.06
Since purchase:
Sam's NOOB Checklist Completed
SS Cat Back Exhaust, Full EGR Delete, EH Mod to Provent, Michelin 245/70 R16 AT/2
Stock Tune, Serpentine Belt Service,160 Amp Alternator
10/2017 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs...
04/2018 99K, New Reman Trans with goodies from StreetSmart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:50 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:44 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Jamestown, Ca.
vwroad87: I got a quote from StreetSmart Transmission yesterday and as you point out, they ask for the vin#. The quote said their TC for diesel are billet with a single clutch. Have you noticed any improvement over the stock TC? They also give you two weeks to get the core trans out and call for a free pick up. $1790 with free shipping/pick up, and no tax seems like a pretty good deal. I'll have to call them on Monday to see what they are doing for a front pump.

_________________
'05 CRD: GDE Full Torque ECO Tune, 245/70-R17 General Grabber AT2 on stock rims, Surco Safari Rack, Hayden 2905 Heavy Duty Fan Clutch, OME 926/947 Springs/Shocks/Struts, Dynomax Exhaust, Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 Thermostat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:19 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Shelton, WA
remwines wrote:
vwroad87: I got a quote from StreetSmart Transmission yesterday and as you point out, they ask for the vin#. The quote said their TC for diesel are billet with a single clutch. Have you noticed any improvement over the stock TC? They also give you two weeks to get the core trans out and call for a free pick up. $1790 with free shipping/pick up, and no tax seems like a pretty good deal. I'll have to call them on Monday to see what they are doing for a front pump.


The transmission is solid so far. They constantly keep up with the latest fixes since they are a primary re-manufacturer, I had the same questions. My OEM TC shuddered with Yeti's mild tune with a little foot in it up hills so I knew it was time to change it out. I don't have any shudder now. I'm gonna install my Florida TC in a year or so anyway, I should have just done that when I did the initial R&R but I've been chasing a P0714 ghost, bad wiring pin in the TCM connector.

_________________
Purchased 2006 LIberty CRD 82,000 Sport 2016.01.06
Since purchase:
Sam's NOOB Checklist Completed
SS Cat Back Exhaust, Full EGR Delete, EH Mod to Provent, Michelin 245/70 R16 AT/2
Stock Tune, Serpentine Belt Service,160 Amp Alternator
10/2017 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs...
04/2018 99K, New Reman Trans with goodies from StreetSmart


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Trans and TC Advise Needed
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:23 pm 
Online
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:21 pm
Posts: 1991
Location: Utah
GordnadoCRD wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
There is also these guys, http://www.torqueconvertershop.com/45B%20Performance%20545RFE%20Billet%20torque%20converter%2045RFE.htm, although they have not returned my email in 4 days so who knows.

For me, he was always better at answering emails.
kerry@torqueconvertershop.com
Their shop is a very large metal building that is quite effective at blocking cell phone signals, but he does get email and answers as he has opportunity during the day.
He may also be setting up booths at hot rod shows this time of year.
But enough excuses.. he was always available to me when I used emails.


Yeah I sent him a second email over the weekend and still have not heard.

_________________
2006 CRD-400 ft-lb tune, Eco Trans Tune, Lift Pump, Week's, HDS Tstat, Racor Filter, ARP's, OME 790's+Top Plate, JBA 2.5", JBA UCA, Moab's+265/70R16, ARB Bar

2014 F150 EcoBoost - Gearhead Tuned, AFE CAC, Bilstein 5100's, Airlift Bags, Duratracs


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jimsult, phum and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com