It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skid plate installation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anybody installed skid plates themselves. Are they a simple bolt on installation or are there complications such as removing parts or working in difficult to reach places? Also, are there better or less expensive options on the aftermarket rather than jeep brand skidplates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:22 am 
LOST Addict

I installed the Jeep tranny skid myself. It was easy but the method of bolting the factory skids on that Jeep decided to use is crappy in my opinion. You can drill the hole the rest of the way through and use bolts and nuts like it should be if you want. But no it's not hard to do. And you don't have to remove any parts to do it.

I personally think the aftermarket skids are a waste of time and money unless you are doing the Rubicon or something. My Mopar tranny skid cost me $28.00 at the dealer, and it's double-layer steel. I can buy like 10 of these for the price of one aftermarket skid.

Good luck.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject: Re: Skid plate installation
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:23 am 
LOST Newbie

otty wrote:
Has anybody installed skid plates themselves. Are they a simple bolt on installation or are there complications such as removing parts or working in difficult to reach places? Also, are there better or less expensive options on the aftermarket rather than jeep brand skidplates?

Well for the transfer case and transmission skid plate you have to install these little threaded rivets into the crossrails. You stick these rivets up into a few holes in the crossrails and there is a little tool to expand them. Getting those rivets in isnt really a one man job.

In back you have to drop the hitch to get the gas tank skid on...also not a one man job since the hitch and gas tank plate are pretty heavy. You'll also want to take off the right rear tire to get at the bolts for the hitch/plate. All that said, you can easily do it yourself if you have one person helping.

As for the quality of the mopar plates you'll probably get a few different answers. I have taken several significant hits on my mopar plates and they haven't bent an inch...and I didn't pay $500 for my set of plates. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:20 pm 
LOST Member

I guess I need to get off my butt and order a set from the dealer, Mopar skids are surely better than none at all :?

Post subject: Kilby gas tank skid
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

I spoke with Brad Kilby about letting him use our CRD to develop some new skid plates, he seemed pretty interested. No word yet on scheduling. He does however currently sell gas tank skids that are much better than the factory unit. I think they sell for around $100.00. I wouldn't waste your time and $ with the factory skids unless you get them free or very cheap. They won't stand up to any real-world abuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

LibertyCRD wrote:
I installed the Jeep tranny skid myself. It was easy but the method of bolting the factory skids on that Jeep decided to use is crappy in my opinion. You can drill the hole the rest of the way through and use bolts and nuts like it should be if you want. But no it's not hard to do. And you don't have to remove any parts to do it.

I personally think the aftermarket skids are a waste of time and money unless you are doing the Rubicon or something. My Mopar tranny skid cost me $28.00 at the dealer, and it's double-layer steel. I can buy like 10 of these for the price of one aftermarket skid.

Good luck.

Called my Jeep dealer and all that he had was the transfer case skid for $49. Do you have the part number of the factory transmission skid plate? They also did not find the a listing for an oil filter protection plate (CRD's only)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:21 am 
LOST Addict

I don't have the part number with me, but I can get it. Or you can do a search on some of the other forums and find it. They DO make a transmission skid for the CRD and it does protect the oil filter. It lists for about $30. My dealer had no trouble with the part numbers.

I'll try to dig them up for you tonight if you don't find them before then. Good luck.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

LibertyCRD wrote:
I don't have the part number with me, but I can get it. Or you can do a search on some of the other forums and find it. They DO make a transmission skid for the CRD and it does protect the oil filter. It lists for about $30. My dealer had no trouble with the part numbers.

I'll try to dig them up for you tonight if you don't find them before then. Good luck.

I searched on other forums and found the following part numbers.

TRANSMISSION SKID PLATE part # 52128925AC
NUT part # 6506644AA
BOLT part # 6505027AA

I'm trying to get my dealer to order them for my CRD as well. Hopefully it won't take too long to get them in.

2008 "Jeep Green" Liberty 4x2 with moon roof
(I traded my 2005 Liberty CRD after way too many problems!)