It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spider gear
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:01 pm 
LOST Member

The last time I change my rear diff oil , my spider gear had some og thr end of the teeth broken.....

I was looking at rock auto to get some but they only have the one for the open diff, mine is an 05 with limited slip.

what are my option , can I put a locker for a resonable price and would it involve a lot more work than just changing the spider gears ?

What you guys have done ??

Post subject: Re: Spider gear
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can put a locker in(IE ARB airlocker or Detroit locker) and even put in the Detroit Truetrac(gear based LSD) but it is much more involved than replacing a spider gear.

New bearings should be installed and seals(master install kit,new ring gear bolts needed also) and you will need a very good press for the bearings,good torque wrench's,special bearing preload tool for the 8.25,and dial indicators.Not a noob friendly job by anymeans.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm in the same boat as OP
2005 limited slip rear, needs spider gears... none to be found
In a pinch anyone know if standard open gears can be used and say heck with the limited slip function.
Trying to put her back on the road and save a buck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:38 pm 
LOST Member

Resurrected from the dead...lol

Yes you can swap to an open diff setup, although it will be a lot of work since you will need to swap out the diff carrier and then setup the ring gear backlash. Be better to just get a whole new rear axle from a salvage yard and swap over the whole thing.

Most liberty's came with a 3.73 gear set and 02' to 05' are interchangeably with each other. 06' on up are interchangeable with each other due to the ABS sensors.

Or if you find a limited slip axle from a salvage yard, you might be able to see if you can get just the diff carrier and then swap out the spiders gears with out having to setup the backlash (assuming yours are still within factor spec). You can search on here for the factory service manual for more info.

05 CRD; Rebuilt top end w/ARP studs, EGR delete, SEGR, 3.7L HD cooling fan, Samco hoses, in tank pump, JBA coil overs & control arms, KK clevis fork, 1/2" cradle drop, 1/4" motor mount lift, WJ rear upper trilink w/WW mount, WJ lower control arms, 4:10 gear, front/rear air lockers, ARB bumper, Rock Lizard sliders/roof rack, Mod T-stat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks 03black!