It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear locker?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:55 am 
LOST Newbie

My 2005 CRD doesn’t have much for options, it’s pretty basic, but it feels like it has a locking rear end, or posi traction? Nothing has been done to this car it is stock Just as it came from the factory. Did they make these with a locker?
In my dirt driveway during a tight turn one of the wheels will actually dig in and start spinning a little, usually it’s the inside wheel.

Post subject: Re: Rear locker?
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:07 pm 
LOST Member

CRD's did not come with any option for lockers. They were only available with different flavors of limited slip. Use the website below to enter your VIN and find out what differential options they used in your vehicle. They may not always be 100% accurate for everything, but the drivetrain info should be good.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jee ... %2527%2529

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks
It doesn’t mention anything except it’s a corporate 8.25 rear axle with 3:73 gears. I’m going to have to check it to make sure something isn’t binding up on it.
I have another question though, what is the “Enhanced Accident Response System”?
It also says I’ve got Sirus satellite radio but it looks like a regular radio to me?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:12 pm 
LOST Member

Hmm, someone who knows the workings of the rear diff on these better will chime in. I know there is a procedure involving jacking the tires up one at a time and spinning them, then both at the same time and spinning one side. The direction that each one rotates determines what rear end you have. The process escapes me now...

The enhanced response system is all unseen to the operator. In an accident, the air bags deploy, doors unlock, fuel supply is cut, hazard lights are illuminated and interior lights are illuminated. Hopefully you never have to use it!

Do you have a little dome on top of the roof toward the rear? If you do, that is the Sirius receiver. You can't use it unless you have a Sirius subscription. You can access the stations by hitting "Mode" on the radio until the screen says Sirius, or some such message.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hmmm, I have a little black thing on the roof just above the third brake light , I call it the shark fin? I thought it was the antenna for the key remote lol!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:24 am 
LOST Member

JameyS wrote:
It doesn’t mention anything except it’s a corporate 8.25 rear axle with 3:73 gears. I’m going to have to check it to make sure something isn’t binding up on it.
I thought I'd read somewhere that all 2005 CRDs came with rear limited slip, but I could be wrong. As far as I understand, the limited slip is activated by putting torque into the diff so they shouldn't be locking up/dragging as long as you're coasting around the corner. If you're accelerating, that will cause the diff to lock the wheels together.

JameyS wrote:
It also says I’ve got Sirus satellite radio but it looks like a regular radio to me?
These radios are pretty modular; the Sirius function isn't built into the radio itself, but is in a separate module somewhere else in the vehicle. Like APC9199 said, that can be accessed with the 'Mode' button on the radio. Here's a guide on finding the system's ESN if you're wanting to register for satellite radio: https://www.siriusxm.com/help/findsirius#Jeep

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Regardless of what you read "somewhere" trac-lock was not standard on the 05 KJ CRD, it was an option, and it was not available for the 06 which has the stability control system.

Sirius radio appears to have been standard on 05s but whether or not it's a separate module or part of the radio I don't know. It's a subscription service that many of us never bothered to subscribe to. Check your owner's manual radio section for detail. Manual should be on top shelf inside glove box but if not PDF versions are available online.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

I found the sat mode on the radio, cool feature but probably not something I’d spend money on for the service.
As far as the axle, I don’t notice any binding on pavement. It’s most noticeable when backing up in a tight turn on loose surface. It actually digs up the dirt a little. Maybe sometime in the near future I can try to get a video of it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:58 am 
LOST Newbie

So a quick update. I had it up on the lift yesterday and it does have posi traction, or whatever version jeep calls it. The build sheet according to vin doesn’t list it and the axle doesn’t look like it’s ever been apart.
Either way I’m happy to have it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:39 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Whenever you get around to servicing the rear diff, take a peek and let us know what's in there :)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set