It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: diesel leak
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I started to smell some diesel fuel. Today at lunch I went out and there was a little puddle under the jeep. I popped the hood and there was a little puddle on top as well. I turned it on and there was fuel leaking from the where the fuel line joints the rail. I will run to Wally world and get a wrench to tighten it down. I imagine it is sucking air in. Do I need to bleed the injector lines? is there a write up on how to do it.

Post subject: Re: diesel leak
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just tighten the connection and drive. That's a high pressure line and any air in it will purge back to the fuel tank promptly.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:59 pm 
LOST Member

It shouldn't really need bleeding. If you start it and it runs rough and doesn't clear up within 15 - 30 seconds, shut it down. Crack the #4 injector line just enough to leak fuel under pressure. Wrap it in a towel that you can pull off quickly. Turn the engine over for 5 - 10 seconds then quickly run and tighten the line before it has a chance to suck any air in. This is easier with two people, but STAY CLEAR OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WHEN CRANKING. 22kpsi diesel will kill you quicker than you would like to find out.

Also, before you tighten the nut, loosen it completely and check each side of it for cracks. If it was over tightened previously it could be cracked and no amount of wrenching will get it to seal.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

APC9199 wrote:
It shouldn't really need bleeding. If you start it and it runs rough and doesn't clear up within 15 - 30 seconds, shut it down. Crack the #4 injector line just enough to leak fuel under pressure. Wrap it in a towel that you can pull off quickly. Turn the engine over for 5 - 10 seconds then quickly run and tighten the line before it has a chance to suck any air in. This is easier with two people, but STAY CLEAR OF THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WHEN CRANKING. 22kpsi diesel will kill you quicker than you would like to find out.

Also, before you tighten the nut, loosen it completely and check each side of it for cracks. If it was over tightened previously it could be cracked and no amount of wrenching will get it to seal.

What type of pressure is in the lines when not running? I went and got a wrench and it was already on there extremely tight. I did not want to back it off since I am not at home. It is dripping quite a bit when running. It is a 25 mile drive home.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:41 pm 
LOST Member

It would not have a huge amount of pressure in it especially if it is leaking. Just cover it with a towel as you work on it and don't put your fingers too close to the fitting. If it seems tight but is still leaking then there is probably a crack in either the nut or the line. You'll have to remove it and check it closely.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:39 pm 

RCS wrote:
I started to smell some diesel fuel. Today at lunch I went out and there was a little puddle under the jeep. I popped the hood and there was a little puddle on top as well. I turned it on and there was fuel leaking from the where the fuel line joints the rail. I will run to Wally world and get a wrench to tighten it down. I imagine it is sucking air in. Do I need to bleed the injector lines? is there a write up on how to do it.

Which line or fitting is leaking, very important?

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

APC9199 wrote:
It would not have a huge amount of pressure in it especially if it is leaking. Just cover it with a towel as you work on it and don't put your fingers too close to the fitting. If it seems tight but is still leaking then there is probably a crack in either the nut or the line. You'll have to remove it and check it closely.

There was no pressure at all in the line. It did not look like the fuel line was sitting straight. I removed the nut, it looked good and made sure the line was sitting straight. It is not leaking any more.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:31 pm 
LOST Member

RCS wrote:
APC9199 wrote:

There was no pressure at all in the line. It did not look like the fuel line was sitting straight. I removed the nut, it looked good and made sure the line was sitting straight. It is not leaking any more.

You lucked out!! Usually, when the nut is tightened, and the line is cocked.. there will be a groove in the ferule, making future leak proof sealing next to impossible! or like apc said, a cracked line or nut that has pounded out from the side load.
Next time (IF) this happens loosen the other end too, and wiggle the line so it finds a 'happy' center, (both ends) then snug up both nuts before going to full torque. Probably what happened, someone had the line off, tightened one end before the other was 'home'..
Check it often for the next hundred miles.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'