It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help with 4.10 Re-Gearing
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm 
LOST Addict

Science and Energy wrote:
I believe to torque converter was replaced with an upgraded/updated one. With the full torque eco boost I have no shudder.

Who out there has Hot Tunes and bigger wheels? Any trouble from the tranny?

I had 265/70R16 Duratracs and now 265/75R16 Duratracs with a GDE hot tune and stock trans. It does mildly shudder here and there, but I've been driving it like this for nearly 3 years now. I live in Utah in the mountains and generally it has enough power to turn the above tires. Sometimes, if I am going to slow and its in 5th(<60mph), it wont have the grunt up some of the hills and will kick down to 3rd in an annoying fashion.

Now towing is a different story. I have the GDE eco trans tune and when that goes into TC lockup in 4th and 5th it will shudder like no ones business with my trailer behind me, even on flat ground.

I am going to go to an HD Torque converter at some point when I get my life together. I want to be able to tow with it, but I cannot in its current state.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:12 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the info. I just got a 4.10 front from a salvage yard for 60 bucks! Now I want to find a cheap LSD for up there. I got a 4.10 ring and pinion for the back too that will go in during the diff rebuild.

I cant say with 100% certainty that my rig has a new torque converter. The old owner lied to me about other things. It hasn't shuddered yet but 4.10 will help with the towing and reliability anyway. I will try and get a baseline and after MPG.

Shouldn't you swap the torque converter before it fails and tanks out the transmission?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Science and Energy wrote:
Thanks for the info. I just got a 4.10 front from a salvage yard for 60 bucks! Now I want to find a cheap LSD for up there. I got a 4.10 ring and pinion for the back too that will go in during the diff rebuild.

I cant say with 100% certainty that my rig has a new torque converter. The old owner lied to me about other things. It hasn't shuddered yet but 4.10 will help with the towing and reliability anyway. I will try and get a baseline and after MPG.

Shouldn't you swap the torque converter before it fails and tanks out the transmission?

Yes. you should. Its expensive and a big job and I honestly haven't had any issues until I tried to tow my travel trailer recently. I towed a 5000 lb wakeboard boat as well as a steel flat bed trailer with 2.4 tons of wood pellets(i am guessing 6500-7k total) years ago on stock size tires with the GDE hot tune and it was totally fine.

And I am in the process of doing 4.10s and truetracs front and rear right now. I have the truetracs. Just waiting for the gears and install kits to come in. I was also on the fence but the people who have done it highly recommended it. You can certainly get away with the 3.73's, i do now in some pretty steep terrain.