It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E brake controller
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I asked this on the general page. Did the CRD with a tow package have an E brake controller? Is it any good? If not what to you recommend for the Libby?

Post subject: Re: E brake controller
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 pm 
LOST Addict

It did not, there is a blue wire under the dash to connect a brake controller to.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
It did not, there is a blue wire under the dash to connect a brake controller to.

Thanks. Any recommendations on a controller for a Libby?

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:27 pm 
LOST Addict

RCS wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Thanks. Any recommendations on a controller for a Libby?

Sorry no. I don't have one.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:

So that blue wire could tell the controller how much the break pedal is pressed (gain)? I’m interested in this, even though I hear best is to have one installed at a travel trailer dealer.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 = https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90195.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwi6TYBRAYEiwAOeH7GX9S6CzPxMadeBiqhe7NBkbw0XOcxo0At4z8270CBFe5Ip80dFXwAxoCi7EQAvD_BwE

It's good from my experience.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:32 pm 

thermorex wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

So that blue wire could tell the controller how much the break pedal is pressed (gain)? I’m interested in this, even though I hear best is to have one installed at a travel trailer dealer.

The blue wire is strictly for the voltage output circuit coming out of whatever aftermarket brake controller is installed. It feeds a variable voltage signal directly to the trailers electric brakes electromagnets via the blue wire. The greater the voltage output from the brake controller, the more braking pressure that will be applied to the trailer brakes.

An accelerometer or sensor inside the brake controller measures and responds to the deceleration of the tow vehicle as brakes are applied; the brake controller will send out enough energy (voltage) to the trailer brakes so that they are activated with an intensity that matches the rate of deceleration of the tow vehicle.

Most modern aftermarket proportional brake controllers sense the tow vehicles declaration by means of either an accelerometer or an internal inertia-based sensor. Most also have a wired input (red wire) from the vehicles OEM brake light circuit which contributes into the logic.
With the accelerometer or inertia sensor along with the brake light voltage input, the voltage output to the trailer brakes by the brake controller is produced in proportion to the tow vehicle's brake engagement and rate of deceleration when slowing down or coming to a stop. The quicker you try and stop the tow vehicle, the greater the voltage output that will be produced and sent to the trailer brakes from the controller.

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:35 pm 
LOST Junkie

Infinite_Karma wrote:
X2

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 pm 
LOST Addict

thermorex wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Yes. That is what its meant for.

You could pay someone else to install the brake controller, they will hook the output demand to the blue wire, same as you would.

The difference is the same as doing any other work yourself. You get to empty a portion of your bank account and drink beer while someone else does the work. You decide how much value that has to you, just like any other work on the CRD.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Infinite_Karma wrote:

I ordered one from Amazon and it should be here on Wednesday. I am going to use it in my CRD and wife's Cherokee. Might take a little work but will try to hook it up in the CJ8 as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:31 pm 
LOST Member

WolverineFW wrote:
Infinite_Karma wrote:
X2

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Not installed on the lib, but vote for the Tekonsha too.

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:04 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

The blue wire is strictly for the voltage output circuit coming out of whatever aftermarket brake controller is installed. It feeds a variable voltage signal directly to the trailers electric brakes electromagnets via the blue wire. The greater the voltage output from the brake controller, the more braking pressure that will be applied to the trailer brakes.

An accelerometer or sensor inside the brake controller measures and responds to the deceleration of the tow vehicle as brakes are applied; the brake controller will send out enough energy (voltage) to the trailer brakes so that they are activated with an intensity that matches the rate of deceleration of the tow vehicle.

Most modern aftermarket proportional brake controllers sense the tow vehicles declaration by means of either an accelerometer or an internal inertia-based sensor. Most also have a wired input (red wire) from the vehicles OEM brake light circuit which contributes into the logic.
With the accelerometer or inertia sensor along with the brake light voltage input, the voltage output to the trailer brakes by the brake controller is produced in proportion to the tow vehicle's brake engagement and rate of deceleration when slowing down or coming to a stop. The quicker you try and stop the tow vehicle, the greater the voltage output that will be produced and sent to the trailer brakes from the controller.

:SOMBRERO:

Got it, thanks, I was wondering what the blue wire does, so it actually feeds the brake controller with variable voltage, depending on how hard the brake is pressed. Then brake controller also adjust the brake signal sent to the e-brakes. I think I got it right... Lol

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
thermorex wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Yes. That is what its meant for.

You could pay someone else to install the brake controller, they will hook the output demand to the blue wire, same as you would.

The difference is the same as doing any other work yourself. You get to empty a portion of your bank account and drink beer while someone else does the work. You decide how much value that has to you, just like any other work on the CRD.

Hehe... I know... Probably the brake controller would explain how to set it, like towing vehicle weight, trailer weight, etc. Which all is common sense if you have the info, I agree.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm 

thermorex wrote:
Got it, thanks, I was wondering what the blue wire does, so it actually feeds the brake controller with variable voltage, depending on how hard the brake is pressed. Then brake controller also adjust the brake signal sent to the e-brakes. I think I got it right... Lol

Sorry, you got it a little backwards. The brake controller feeds the blue wire (output not input) with a variable voltage signal based on the measured deceleration rate and the brake light circuit on the tow vehicle which in turns feeds a voltage signal to the brake magnets on the trailer to produce stopping force.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
thermorex wrote:

Sorry, you got it a little backwards. The brake controller feeds the blue wire (output not input) with a variable voltage signal based on the measured deceleration rate and the brake light circuit on the tow vehicle which in turns feeds a voltage signal to the brake magnets on the trailer to produce stopping force.... :wink:

Yep, most I've seen were a type of 'plumb bob' type potentiometer. It's set up on level surface, and when you apply brakes, it swings forward.. sending voltage down to trailer.
When you are going downhill, it's already swung slightly 'forward', so when you apply brakes, the starting point is already more aggressive. Conversely going uphill it's a little less aggressive.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 am 
LOST Addict

I'd just like to point out that trailers would be a great application for ABS, turn the gain too high and the trailer ABS keeps brakes from locking.

Which means instead of a trailer trying to pass you on the highway when you slow down the trailer pulls you back when slowing you down.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Sir Sam wrote:
I'd just like to point out that trailers would be a great application for ABS, turn the gain too high and the trailer ABS keeps brakes from locking.

Which means instead of a trailer trying to pass you on the highway when you slow down the trailer pulls you back when slowing you down.

Patent it!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:17 pm 
LOST Member

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Patent it!

ABS on undampened axles (no shock absorbers) might get REAL interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:11 pm 
LOST Addict

GordnadoCRD wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Patent it!

I wish, problem is anytime you touch on something like towing a bunch of old schoolers come out of the Woodwork with something negative to say. There are certain areas where mindsets are so entrenched its hard to make progress. Just look at how many people still swear at ABS.

rancherman wrote:
GordnadoCRD wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:

Patent it!

ABS on undampened axles (no shock absorbers) might get REAL interesting.

Not quite as interesting as a trailor passing you on the highway as it pulls you off the road on whatever vector it feels like taking. Realistically a deterministic computer control running at 5ms execution can handle some pretty crazy control loops.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:31 pm 
LOST Member

Wasn't meant to be negative @SirSam.. far from it! I throw out ideas or concerns as 'seed' or 'food for thought'.. Not blatant sabotage.
All friendly input, maybe you can keep in on the back burner for future consideration. Nothing else.
With variations in trailer weights, loaded or unloaded, multitudes of tire characteristics, natural harmonics, spring rates, rebound rates, at all multitudes of operating speeds... it's going to be something that will need to be addressed.
What DOES concern me is this will embolden trailer pullers even more with 'security'... and push the limits even further of an articulated mousetrap hurtling down the road @ mach 1
Seems to be a ever widening gap between how 'safe' a vehicle can be, and the common sense of the person behind the wheel..
Carry on!