It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oem remote not working
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey guys,

Can you pls help me? Both remotes are not working. I can start the vehicle, but neither button works on the remotes. I've changed both batteries so I'm sure those are OK.

Good part is that I can start the vehicle normally, everything works fine except the remote buttons.

During the past year, I sensed that the remote range reduced quite a lot, from being able to lock/unlock from well over 30ft to bat ly being able to lock/unlock from couple ft away. I also replaced remote battery but no improvements. Few days ago I installed an arb compressor and I have noticed that the battery negative terminal was loose, and I could remove it with bare hands very easy. Im not sure how the vehicle still started, but long story short, I tied it properly and now, interestingly, no remote button works. Not sure if this is related, but I wonder if a loos negative connection could cause the skim to go bad...

I wonder what could be... I've tried disconnecting battery terminals, reconnecting them back, ot working. After reconnecting the battery terminals I can hear the doors locks going on and off.

Please let me know if you have other ideas. I don't think both keys are bad, so I wonder if it can be a bad connection to the skim?

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

Post subject: Re: Oem remote not working
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:31 pm 

Simply replace them. You can buy new replacements keys/remotes off eBay, have them cut and then program them yourself following the procedure below:
Note: you must have two keys that sim compliant and are fully capable of starting your CRD.

Jeep Liberty Key Programing Instructions:
1. Insert first programmed key into the ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait for approximately 3 seconds then turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
2. Within 15 seconds of removing first key insert second programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait approximately 10 seconds. You will see the immobilizer warning lamp illuminate on the dash and you will hear an audible tone. Turn ignition OFF and remove the key.
3. Within 50 seconds insert the new unprogrammed key into ignition. Turn ignition switch to ON. After approximately 10 seconds you should hear an audible tone and the immobilizer lamp will remain illuminated for 3 seconds. Once this occurs programming is completed.
4. For each additional key you must repeat these steps starting with step number 1.

This worked on my 05 when all my OEM key remote buttons quit working. I simply bought two new keys/remotes off ebay, had them cut locally, and programed them myself using the above instructions. Still using one of them today. Put one up for reserve. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:44 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Simply replace them. You can buy new replacements keys/remotes off eBay, have them cut and then program them yourself following the procedure below:
Note: you must have two keys that sim compliant and are fully capable of starting your CRD.

1. Insert first programmed key into the ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait for approximately 3 seconds then turn ignition to OFF and remove key.
2. Within 15 seconds of removing first key insert second programmed key into ignition and turn ignition switch to ON. Wait approximately 10 seconds. You will see the immobilizer warning lamp illuminate on the dash and you will hear an audible tone. Turn ignition OFF and remove the key.
3. Within 50 seconds insert the new unprogrammed key into ignition. Turn ignition switch to ON. After approximately 10 seconds you should hear an audible tone and the immobilizer lamp will remain illuminated for 3 seconds. Once this occurs programming is completed.
4. For each additional key you must repeat these steps starting with step number 1.

This worked on my 05 when all my OEM key remote buttons quit working. I simply bought two new keys/remotes off ebay, had them cut locally, and programed them myself using the above instructions. Still using one of them today. Put one up for reserve. :wink:

Wwdiesel, so you say that both key fobs lived their life? I’m just asking, it’s cheap to do what you suggested, but seems weird both remotes died in the same time. Did yours die in the same time?

Meantime, I’m going on Ebay...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:43 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:

This is meant for transponder key, so I'm not sure how it is able to read the keyless entry part during this programming. The keyless entry part of the key is removable and be replaced seperately. To program the keyless remotes you usually need to press a button once programming mode is entered.

I'm having a hard time understanding how that works for the RKE part. Most curious indeed.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:18 pm 

One of my OEM keys pushbuttons quit working for the vehicle in any sense. I had two keys that would start the vehicle and one's buttons would not function at all.
It would still function ok for manually inserting the key and unlocking the door and it also worked just fine for starting the vehicle in the ign. switch.
I ordered two new keyfobs just exactly like the OEM keys, had them cut to match the OEM key.
I then followed the programing instructions I posted above and it worked like a champ!
Both of my new keys now function just like the OEM keyfob did.
I have been using one of the new ones now for a couple of years with no issues..... :wink:

All I can say is it worked for me! :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I'm not positive which year they changed, but at some point in the preteen 2000s, Mopar changed their systems so that programming an integrated transponder key, programmed both the keyless function and the transponder function.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:45 am 

The key/transponder programing by the owner is covered in the FSM for the 2005 & 2006 Jeep. Both manuals have the same instructions as listed below.
2005 FSM
See page 8, section 8Q: VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY
"CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD"

2006 FSM
See page 69, section 8Q: VEHICLE THEFT SECURITY - SERVICE INFORMATION
"CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD"

These is the full procedure:
FSM wrote:
CUSTOMER LEARN METHOD
The Customer Learn feature is only available on domestic vehicles, or those vehicles which have a U.S. country code designator. This programming method also requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, or if the vehicle does not have a U.S. country code designator, the Secured Access Method must be used to program new or additional valid keys to the SKREEM.

The Customer Learn programming method procedures are as follows:

1. Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that are to be programmed as valid keys for the vehicle. Cut the blank key(s) to match the ignition switch lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
    2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    3. After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition switch lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted in the lock cylinder within fifteen seconds of removing the first valid key.
    4. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the security indicator in the instrument cluster will start to flash and a single audible chime will sound to indicate that the system has entered the Customer Learn programming mode.
    5. Within sixty seconds of entering the Customer Learn programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
    6. About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime will sound and the security indicator will stop flashing, stay on solid for three seconds, then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately exit the Customer Learn programming mode. After the ignition is cycled the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed valid Sentry Key.

Each of these steps must be repeated and completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key that is to be programmed. If the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the Customer Learn programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful.

The SKREEM will also automatically exit the Customer Learn programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight (8) valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty seconds.

NOTE: If an attempt is made to start the vehicle while in the Customer Learn mode (security indicator flashing), the SKIS will respond as though the vehicle were being started with an invalid key. In other words, the engine will stall after about two seconds of operation. No faults will be set.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed as a valid key to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed as a valid key for use on any other vehicle.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks guys, I'll update this next week, when blank keys are coming from eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm 
LOST Addict

So I got my Ebay keys, have them cut by a locksmith and followed the instructions. The remote is still not working, but the key is programmed because it starts the engine and security light goes off. So now I have 4 keys that can start the engine but none that can remotely open/lock the doors.

Any ideas what to do to program the remote part?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll speculate here a bit and maybe someone like SirSam or Keith at GDE who understand the electronics better than me can clarify further. There are 3 types of keys - 1) a dumb key that fits the vehicle locks and turns them but when doing so does NOT disarm the vehicle security system; 2) a "chipped" key the physically looks much like a dumb key but has a programmable chip in the head such that when this key is used in a lock or the ignition will disarm the vehicle security system; and 3) a key fob which combines the function of a chipped key with a remote control to lock/unlock the vehicle (yes I'm ignoring the rather rare key fob that engages the starter remotely). As I understand it the chip in keys 2 and 3 interacts with a small wire antenna near the ignition to tell the security system a valid key is being used to start the vehicle thereby disarming the security system. Obviously the chip and associated security system are interacting correctly.

At this point my thought begins to break down although reading of the FSM might help. I'm pretty sure the key fob buttons send a short range coded radio signal to a receiver some where in the vehicle to lock/unlock doors and activate panic button. Either the fobs are not sending the signal or the system that receives and "uses" the signal is not working properly. I suspect the latter as it seems unlikely that 4 key fobs are all incapable of sending the signal. Where the receiver is and how to fix it are beyond me.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
I'll speculate here a bit and maybe someone like SirSam or Keith at GDE who understand the electronics better than me can clarify further. There are 3 types of keys - 1) a dumb key that fits the vehicle locks and turns them but when doing so does NOT disarm the vehicle security system; 2) a "chipped" key the physically looks much like a dumb key but has a programmable chip in the head such that when this key is used in a lock or the ignition will disarm the vehicle security system; and 3) a key fob which combines the function of a chipped key with a remote control to lock/unlock the vehicle (yes I'm ignoring the rather rare key fob that engages the starter remotely). As I understand it the chip in keys 2 and 3 interacts with a small wire antenna near the ignition to tell the security system a valid key is being used to start the vehicle thereby disarming the security system. Obviously the chip and associated security system are interacting correctly.

At this point my thought begins to break down although reading of the FSM might help. I'm pretty sure the key fob buttons send a short range coded radio signal to a receiver some where in the vehicle to lock/unlock doors and activate panic button. Either the fobs are not sending the signal or the system that receives and "uses" the signal is not working properly. I suspect the latter as it seems unlikely that 4 key fobs are all incapable of sending the signal. Where the receiver is and how to fix it are beyond me.

Yes, I believe you're right, the remote part is not apparently working and I believe this is a vehicle issue. I think SirSam would know more details but it may be very hard for him to diagnose this from distance.

SirSam, anyways, if your're reading, do you know more details regarding the remote receiver in the vehicle? Is that a separate unit? Do you know where is located?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Perhaps silly question but do your power door locks work when you press the lock button on the door? If not I bet interior fuse #6 is blown. Otherwise looking thru the 06 FSM I gather the fob sends a radio signal to the Body Control Module to lock/unlock doors and somehow that signal system is not working.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:19 pm 

In the online 05 Jeep CRD owners manual:> 2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf
See section 8N, starting on page 3: Power Locks, DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - POWER LOCKS
then see page 4: PRELIMINARY DIAGNOSIS

Looks like the receiver for the remote keyless signal is an RKE MODULE that sets on top of the BODY CONTROL MODULE.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66838 for some BCM info from SirSam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Update: I am happy to hear the honk again when I lock the vehicle! I appreciate the posts with the location of the RKE, I opened the access door from under the steering wheel and pushed the "relay-looking" black blocks in towards the BCM (from passenger to driver) to set them better and sure enough, the magic happened... It is weird it came loose but I am not surprised considering the stiff ARB suspension and the bad Cleveland roads...

PapaIndigo, if retirement life is boring, I am sure you'd make a great Jeep tech... same for WWDiesel. Thanks guys! :pepper: :rockon:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:19 pm 
LOST Addict

And a quick note: the newly programmed keys seem to work exactly as the old, original ones. After being cut and programmed, they lock, unlock and start the vehicles without issues, meaning that also the remote part is being programmed with the chip, following WWDiesel's instructions from FSM.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
YEP.

GordnadoCRD wrote:
I'm not positive which year they changed, but at some point in the preteen 2000s, Mopar changed their systems so that programming an integrated transponder key, programmed both the keyless function and the transponder function.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:10 am 

thermorex wrote:
And a quick note: the newly programmed keys seem to work exactly as the old, original ones. After being cut and programmed, they lock, unlock and start the vehicles without issues, meaning that also the remote part is being programmed with the chip, following WWDiesel's instructions from FSM.

That's GOOD news; we love a happy ending! :-)r

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:12 am 
LOST Addict

Ok, so it seems I jumped the gun a bit... This is still an issue. With access door opened, I can lock/unlock the doors when key is in ignition. If I close the access door, then the remote won't work. Same if I close the jeep doors and from outside, trying to lock/unlock - it won't work. I thought this is an issue with some interference, but I read on other forums that some other jeeps from roughly same period had similar issue, the RKE range degraded over time, this ending in a replacement for RKE which fixed the issue. I think this is my issue, as the RKE works when the key is very close to it, but does not as the range increases.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/poo ... e-1160457/

From SirSam's pics I understand that the RKE has the following identifications: FCC ID - gq43vt24r and supplier - 44837A. I also understand that a new unit would need to be programmed with DRB3 to match the vehicle keys. I would like to buy the unit and then have the dealer program it, but I cannot find it myself. I would prefer to buy it myself so I can install it and then go to the dealer, and main reason for this is that I have too much custom work and wires going through that area and I would not let anybody else touch them, if possible. Do you guys have any suggestion on where to get the RKE module, other than at a dealer? And I don't want a used one, since I may have the exact same issue I am trying to fix... :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am curious if you ever resolved your RKE issue. I have a similar situation. of the 2 original fob keys, only one works in the ignition, however the transmitter cant be coaxed into sending a signal. I used the RF receiver at the battery display at a couple different stores to test the function (Batteries plus has one that shows different frequencies). The other fob seems to be transmitting, however the Jeep doesn't receive it. I have installed an EVIC to use the self-learn feature on its' menu. When it asks for a button press of a valid key, the module doesn't hear the fob. so it exits the programming. I plan a trip to the junkyard to do some investigative surgery. Any info would be appreciated, Thanks

05 Liberty Sport (SEGR, Elephant hose, Caseless inline thermostat, Weeks Elbow, 7V Etecnos, V-6 airbox w/splashguard, Aussie shroud, Bees Timing belt procedure w/ IDPARTS, EVIC added, Leather Seats installed, Moog LBJs)
02 Jetta TDI wagon GLS (elephant hose mod), 5-Spd swap, Bilsteins, TT bushings
I stand UNDER my work!